WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Russia, Czechs or Switzerland. No Sweden.

I don't think that Russia, Czechs or Switzerland are the easier opponent for Finland than Sweden. Also because Niederreiter joins Switzerland one top player more for us.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What does mean DTD?
Day-to-day. As in, an injury that is not major and the player is deemed healthy enough to play in a few days.

Which is good news, we need Lammikko back even more so now that Luostarinen's out of commission. But if either can't play, I'm guessing they're going to move Sallinen to C.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Day-to-day. As in, an injury that is not major and the player is deemed healthy enough to play in a few days.

Which is good news, we need Lammikko back even more so now that Luostarinen's out of commission. But if either can't play, I'm guessing they're going to move Sallinen to C.

Ok thnks for information. Yes, good for Finland. Now, I hope there will be no quarterfinal Switzerland-Finland. That would be my dream final game, but not already in quarterfinal.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think that Russia, Czechs or Switzerland are the easier opponent for Finland than Sweden. Also because Niederreiter joins Switzerland one top player more for us.
Yes but i think that SUI has much more problems vs a well organized had working finnish team as vs a playing talented team Suomi. ;)

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Perkele, Luostarinen out for the tournament. Hopefully Lammiko can soon play.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Ok thnks for information. Yes, good for Finland. Now, I hope there will be no quarterfinal Switzerland-Finland. That would be my dream final game, but not already in quarterfinal.

Switzerland's so good nowadays, they're no longer one of those teams you hope to meet for an easy road to the semi-finals.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Switzerland's so good nowadays, they're no longer one of those teams you hope to meet for an easy road to the semi-finals.

They are the fourth best team in their group, which is why it makes sense to hope to meet them in the QF. Ofcourse I'd rather take Latvia, Norway or Italy but that's not an option.

I never said they are easier, they all are difficult opponents.

Finland's chances of beating Switzerland would be something like 55 percent, whereas against Sweden it would be less than 40 percent. That's why I'd much rather take Switzerland.

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
They are the fourth best team in their group, which is why it makes sense to hope to meet them in the QF. Ofcourse I'd rather take Latvia, Norway or Italy but that's not an option.

Finland's chances of beating Switzerland would be something like 55 percent, whereas against Sweden it would be less than 40 percent. That's why I'd much rather take Switzerland.
I thik the chances for Finland to beat SUI is 45 %. After today s game i ve fear against swiss. ;)

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
But still, rather them then Sweden.

Finland allways playing their best hockey against Sweden... doesnt matter what team you guys put on ice... there is allways a hard fight between our two nations!

Happy to see you guys doing well in this tournament.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm glad that Sweden took full points from SUI today. Many things can still happen but it's very likely that Finland is 1st or 2nd of their group so it would be important that Sweden isn't #3-#4 of their group. It's an upset if Sweden doesn't win gold this tournament so it's just better for Finland to stay out of Sweden's way in the QF and hope for facing them in later parts of the tourrnament where Finland can still beat them but I rather do a QF where Finland has 50% odds against CZE or SUI than facing Sweden who probably has something like 60-75% chance of beating Finland.

By the way, I find IIHF's new strategy succesful where dark horse countries like SUI and GER have easier matches at the start of the tournament and harder matches at the end of the tournament. Everyone knows that GER & SUI are capable of beating anyone at their best day. In fact I still expect Finland to lose to Germany even after GER lost 8-1 today. That just makes these groups more exciting and less predictable which is pretty fun.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I'm glad that Sweden took full points from SUI today. Many things can still happen but it's very likely that Finland is 1st or 2nd of their group so it would be important that Sweden isn't #3-#4 of their group. It's an upset if Sweden doesn't win gold this tournament so it's just better for Finland to stay out of Sweden's way in the QF and hope for facing them in later parts of the tourrnament where Finland can still beat them but I rather do a QF where Finland has 50% odds against CZE or SUI than facing Sweden who probably has something like 60-75% chance of beating Finland.

By the way, I find IIHF's new strategy succesful where dark horse countries like SUI and GER have easier matches at the start of the tournament and harder matches at the end of the tournament. Everyone knows that GER & SUI are capable of beating anyone at their best day. In fact I still expect Finland to lose to Germany even after GER lost 8-1 today. That just makes these groups more exciting and less predictable which is pretty fun.
To lose vs Germany again isn t very funny for me. I ve no sense for those kind of humor. ;)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Whatever happens in the Germany game, we are at least 2nd on our group.

Sweden might be 3rd. If RUS beat them its quite likely. We better beat them Germans to avoid Sweden. Also Germany doesn't want to face the group winner (RUS or SWE) so that should make them motivated as well against Finland.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
So Sweden it is, don't know if it's better or not. But one thing is clear, we need to start scoring on our chances. We won't get many chances against Sweden.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Pesonen-Manninen-Kakko shouldn't play together in the next game
what ever magic they had, its gone.

Complete overhaul of the lines.

1st) Kakko-Lammikko-Ilomäki
2nd) Rajala-Manninen-Kiviranta/Kuusela

3rd) Pesonen-Savinainen-Ojamäki
4th) Sallinen-Tyrväinen-Anttila

I think these lines above would create more offense
and would give more defensive aspects to help the d do their job better.

Ilomäki is still hell of a playmaker, the center position thou seems too big for him at this stage
Lammikko would win face-offs and create room for Kakko to do his thing, Ilomäki's
role is obvious, feed Kakko.

I believe Savinainen as a center would be better option, he ain't gonna score, put him to a role
that suits him the best. Pesonen is all but hustle at the moment, put him with Savinainen and create a shut down duo to 3rd line
Pesonen has played a bottom six role before in his career, Ojamäki as a smart player would have room
for some additional scoring in that line.

Manninen teaming up with speedy Kiviranta would create more scoring chances to Rajala
time to dig that NLA goal scorer back up.

The 4th line is oh so obvious.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I want Pesonen on the same line as Kakko. They compliment each other well. Manninen I am not as sure of. It seems he only looks for defensemen or Pesonen.

Rajala - Manninen - Kiviranta
Pesonen - Lammikko - Kakko
Ilomäki - Sallinen - Savinainen
Ojamäki - Tyrväinen - Anttila

So many of these guys have their charm and individual skillset but all too many are interchangeable :/

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It does not feel to good with sweden on thursday

Worst possible opponent and Finland had to get that opponent.

Let's see if Sweden can score early in the RUS game, something like 2-0 start after the first period could make that game very interesting to watch with that 3 goal or more margin and three way tie in mind.

Reactions: fr9dd9

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Czechs won against Sweden. The Swiss tied the Czechs before the empty netter. With that said, all those teams are competitive. Could be good to play against Sweden. No one, nobody counts on Finland. Sweden has everything to loose. So what if we loose with five goals? That should be expected. I´m glad to play against Sweden, it will probably get more intense than against the Swiss.

Personally i fear Gusev, Kucherov and the great Kuznetsov and Russias goalies even more than Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->