WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
This team is crazy good. What I am about to say now might sound absurd but.... With a couple of our brightest NHL stars, regardless of who, Finland would not be in the medal games. This is a TEAM , rolling 4 lines and 4 d-pairings with equally distributed minutes per game, regardless of if they are winning or losing. Finland plays, skates, forechecks and battles more than any other team in this championship and therefore it is vital to distribute the TOI equally and use 4 d-pairings. Not even Jalonen could resist giving players like Barkov or Aho or Heiskanen bigger minutes than the other players and yes, it would bring more skill to the game but it would also crash this superactive system Finland is playing now. And that system is the reason we have been able to beat both Sweden and Russia.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
This team is crazy good. What I am about to say now might sound absurd but.... With a couple of our brightest NHL stars, regardless of who, Finland would not be in the medal games. This is a TEAM , rolling 4 lines and 4 d-pairings with equally distributed minutes per game, regardless of if they are winning or losing. Finland plays, skates, forechecks and battles more than any other team in this championship and therefore it is vital to distribute the TOI equally and use 4 d-pairings. Not even Jalonen could resist giving players like Barkov or Aho or Heiskanen bigger minutes than the other players and yes, it would bring more skill to the game but it would also crash this superactive system Finland is playing now. And that system is the reason we have been able to beat both Sweden and Russia.

There winning because there buying into the system each shift and there by far the hungriest team in the tournament.

Feels like most of the team filled with NHL talent are just there because they feel like it's a obligation to participate and just handle this as a paid holiday.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Teuvo - Aho - Laine
Granlund - Barkov - Rantanen
Kapanen - Kotkaniemi- Hintz
Donskoi - Koivu- Armia
Haula

Lindell - Heiskanen
Määttä - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Nutivaara

Rask
Rinne

That's how I would build up the team. Kakko should be there at this time next year. Good list tho.

Nuts!

Rantanen - Barkov(A) - Laine
X - Aho - Teuvo
Kapanen - Kotka - Granlund
Haula - Koivu(C) - Anttila(A)

ps. If Finland has another miracle on sunday, then Anttila (C) will be tattooed to his forehead as long as he plays.

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
would kakko make best possible team finland? i think so:

Tevuo - Aho - Laine
Granlund - Barkov - Rantanen
Kapanen - Hintz - Kakko
Donskoi - Haula - Armia

Lindell - Heiskanen
Määtää - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Nuutivaara

Rask
Rinne
Need four D pairs for IIHF tourneys. I fear Maatta is done if he doesn't get his skating back. Add Jokiharju, Valimaki, Niku. (Juolevi, Jokipakka, Pokka, Honka get camp invites.)

But that's only the best possible roster... not the same as the best possible Team Finland :toothless

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Today is the day my Finnish brothers.
It has been eight years since our last World championship gold. Eight years of long wait. Now we play in the same arena with the same coach leading the team, It's like history is repeating itself.

It's time

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
How did Finland end up with so few NHLers on the team this year?

Good amount of our best NHL players played pretty late on playoffs (like Aho, Heiskanen, Rask, Rantanen), some played only 1st round like Laine, but were missing contract and had nagging injuries.

Barkov had some nasty injuries as well.

Reactions: Koijari

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What a awesome team we had.
Well deserved IIHF men's worlds gold medal and the most significant prove is that we didn't have any NHL stars.

Whole team showed what real and huge lion heart really means.
The words aren't enough to tell that how proud and happy i'm´right now.

Nyt poika saunoo.
TORILLA TAVATAAN. KIITOS SUOMI

Reactions: Arselona and king89

Arselona

Nov 9, 2007
They are all heroes. Who needs NHL guys when you can ice warriors like these. 5/5 for every player, special honors for Lankinen & captain.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
From now on, it might no longer be a given that a NHL player will even be able to make it to the roster.

Results, in the end, are what matter. People might call this a C or a D-level team, which it very well might be based on individual skill, but the sum of its parts was pretty close to an A.

If a NHL player hesitates to play for the national team, it might be a better choice to just get somebody who is actually looking forward to it. A lot of hungry guys in this team who had waited their whole life for such an opportunity, and they made the most of it.

Always felt like hockey was a game where morale and effort level played a huge part in the outcome (which is why you see the big hockey nations regularly being upset by teams that they have no business losing to). After a massively draining season, a lot of the NHL guys just don't have any gas in the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad