WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How about getting Kristian Vesalainen to men's worlds?
Jets is close to get eliminated ( down 3-2) in NHL playoffs vs St Louis

How about getting Kristian Vesalainen to men's worlds Jets is close to get eliminated in NHL playoffs vs St Louis

It's not that good of an idea that it should be posted twice. ;)

With his form this season/lately? Hard pass.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
8 new players joining training camp, some probably from HIFK and Tappara. Someone at Jatkoaika posted a potential players list from those teams: Kuusela, Kemiläinen, Vittasmäki, Tyrväinen, Salminen, Kangasniemi, Eronen, Engren.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
8 new players joining training camp, some probably from HIFK and Tappara. Someone at Jatkoaika posted a potential players list from those teams: Kuusela, Kemiläinen, Vittasmäki, Tyrväinen, Salminen, Kangasniemi, Eronen, Engren.
It should be noted that among those eight are the already-announced Jokiharju, Lammikko and Lankinen, so it means five new names from Europe.

Other potentials from outside the bronze game pair are Virtanen and Rajala.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It should be noted that among those eight are the already-announced Jokiharju, Lammikko and Lankinen, so it means five new names from Europe.

Other potentials from outside the bronze game pair are Virtanen and Rajala.

Hence the "some probably from HIFK and Tappara" bit.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hence the "some probably from HIFK and Tappara" bit.
Well, your (or the Jatkoaika poster's) list featured exactly eight names, all from HIFK and Tappara, so I saw it prudent to clarify.

My educated guess is that we'll see a maximum of four players from those two teams.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, your (or the Jatkoaika poster's) list featured exactly eight names, all from HIFK and Tappara, so I saw it prudent to clarify.

My educated guess is that we'll see a maximum of four players from those two teams.

A "potential players list" does not mean all of them would be selected. Reading comprehension is your friend. ;)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
A "potential players list" does not mean all of them would be selected. Reading comprehension is your friend.
It's your pal too. Because "clarify" does not mean "correct" - let alone "dispute". It means emphasizing something to avoid any possible misunderstandings.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Someone at Jatkoaika posted a potential players list from those teams: Kuusela, Kemiläinen, Vittasmäki, Tyrväinen, Salminen, Kangasniemi, Eronen, Engren.

How is any of these guys supposed to help? It's really beginning to look bleak. I can only remember three occasions when Finland went into the WHC with a roster nearly as bad as this year's team: 1992, 1998, and 2014.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Why is Annti Niemie not allowed to come due to contract? As far as I know he doesn't have a team = no contract.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
You know, everyone, there's really nothing unexpected about this situation, really. The team is shaping up more or less what one could have expected it to be as soon as around Christmas. All you had to do was look at the players we currently have in the NHL, their birth years, and their contract situations.

I knew the contract situations full well and I didn't expect Barkov and Kotkaniemi both to decline. Especially after Barkov had said that he's interested. Around Christmas I also had high hopes of Heiskanen joining the team.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I knew the contract situations full well and I didn't expect Barkov and Kotkaniemi both to decline. Especially after Barkov had said that he's interested. Around Christmas I also had high hopes of Heiskanen joining the team.

Yes. I was expecting someone to come. Barkov, Kotkaniemi, Borgsröm, Määttä, Koskinen, Ristolainen. Okay maybe not Ristolainen. There is lot of contract reasons this year, but out of the "healthy" available players nobody did join the team.

For Lankinen this is posibility to show for Hawks organization. Lammikko is RFA, but the best he is getting is probably one year two way contract. So this is chance for him to show for Panthers or money leagues in Europe. Jokiharju kind of was NHL regular for part of the season. And only one who has little to gain in this tournament. He already has future in Hawks organization.

Reactions: Lepardi

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
How is any of these guys supposed to help? It's really beginning to look bleak. I can only remember three occasions when Finland went into the WHC with a roster nearly as bad as this year's team: 1992, 1998, and 2014.

And in 1998 we got silver.
Only losing gold because ridiculously incompetent ref Alex Dell rules out Olli Jokinen’s goal which would have tied the finals 1-1, sending it to overtime.
#NeverForget

Which would we rather have, stacked team with Marjamäki or Liiga-Stars with Jukka Jalonen?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I thought it was 8 + 3 (Jokiharju,Lammikko,Lankinen)
Thou, it was an MTV article what i red, so... that's probably not facts.

I'd rather have 11 new players thou

NA: Jokiharju,Välimäki,Lammikko,Lankinen
Kärpät: Vehviläinen,Leskinen,Kupari,Heponiemi,Hakanpää,Kivihalme,Ohtamaa
HPK: Turunen

Now if Dallas & Carolina would get eliminated..... JACKPOT!!!!!!
(thou i'd want both go through instead)

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
And in 1998 we got silver.

Finland also got silver in 1992 and 2014. That was kind of the point of my post. Those were all Olympic years and the WHC rosters were so bad that expectations were very low before the tournament. In 1992 Teemu Selänne (still playing in Finland) didn't care to take part, which was big news back then.

Which would we rather have, stacked team with Marjamäki or Liiga-Stars with Jukka Jalonen?

I'd rather have a stacked team with Marjamäki. Last year's team played some great hockey at times.

Reactions: Sanf

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It was unfortunate and a little unexpected, but ultimately understandable. Barkov was clearly stopped by the club, he would have come otherwise. And Kotkaniemi I'm willing to give a pass too. To go from Liiga and U18 games to a full-time NHLer over one summer is a massive leap for a player of his age. It's one of the situations I have no shred of doubt if a player says he's gassed.

I thought it was 8 + 3 (Jokiharju,Lammikko,Lankinen)
Thou, it was an MTV article what i red, so... that's probably not facts.

I'd rather have 11 new players thou

NA: Jokiharju,Välimäki,Lammikko,Lankinen
Kärpät: Vehviläinen,Leskinen,Kupari,Heponiemi,Hakanpää,Kivihalme,Ohtamaa
HPK: Turunen
Jalonen said eight new players would join next week. Anybody from the Liiga finals obviously won't join until the finals are over. So it was going to be the three already-announced overseas additions plus five others from Europe. There should have been nothing difficult to understand.

Leijonat - Leijonien ensi viikon vastus on Ruotsi - Kahdeksan uutta pelaajaa mukaan MM-leirityksen kolmannelle viikolle

Lankinen, Jokiharju, Lammikko + Eronen, Tyrväinen, Kuusela, Ojamäki and Rajala.

And now I must say dammit, I really wanted to see Jesse Virtanen in that group. Of course, he could still join later. Though we'll have a good d-group even without him. And yes please to Välimäki, if willing to join.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
And now I must say dammit, I really wanted to see Jesse Virtanen in that group. Of course, he could still join later. Though we'll have a good d-group even without him. And yes please to Välimäki, if willing to join.

Defence is pretty solid to WHC level. In perfect world we could still get Välimäki, Virtanen + Hakanpää and Ohtamaa. That would lead to a situation were good men would get cut.

Wingers are meh and Centers.. oh boy. And in goalies I really hope that people are right about Vehviläinen. I like Lankinen, but would be tough spot for him. Third goalie might end up being Larmi if they don´t reward either Olkinuora or Laurikainen for being at the camp from the start.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Defence is pretty solid to WHC level. In perfect world we could still get Välimäki, Virtanen + Hakanpää and Ohtamaa. That would lead to a situation were good men would get cut.
I'd also add Pokka from the KHL finals, he's been real good this season. And Niku is another possibility in the Jets bow out. So there's potentially three full pairs' worth of guys outside the squad I'd take over the present representation, so yeah, there would definitely be tough cuts. Defense really is an issue of zero concern.

I also like Vehviläinen's work this season, so the only department that really gives me cold sweat is the offense. Speaking of which, Jalonen's assistants are, coincidentally, Manner and Pennanen, so I can see some genuine blindside selections from the final two. If centres are an issue, someone like Paajanen or Leino might end up getting an invite.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00