WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
While Niku would be a nice addition to the defense and Saros (or maybe even Rinne) coming would give us a bona fide NHL goalie, I'd still like to draw your attention to the fact, gentlemen, that what we need more than anything is some forwards. Most notably centermen. Our current selection (Lammikko, Manninen, Ruotsalainen, Ilomäki, Tyrväinen, Joonas Nättinen, and perhaps some Liiga finals surprise addition) is down right abysmal.

While some of these names might be suitable for lower lines, none of them is someone you want to see serving as your 1C. This is why Dallas pulling away was not a good result for this squad. If the choice was between having Saros in net and one of the presently available guys centering the 1st line or having Vehviläinen in net and Hintz as the 1C, my choice would be the latter, and I'd frankly dope slap anyone who voices the opposite opinion.

Well, the Nashville vs. Dallas race isn't over yet, of course, as isn't another western conference race that could potentially bring relief to the situation - San Jose vs. Vegas, since Haula plays for the latter. But both are in a 3-2 situation in the "wrong" direction. In the east, Washington is pulling away, so I suppose one option in a pinch would be to get a yes from TT and then place him in the slot, even though he hasn't played the position in eons. Also, there is a bit of a three-way race going on in the west that will result in a centerman becoming available. If the Sharks claw back and beat the Golden Knights, it would make Haula available. But if Vegas runs away with it, then we'd have to turn our attention into the AHL, to the contest between San Jose Barracuda and San Diego Gulls (the Ducks' farm team), which has Antti Suomela and Kalle Kossila going head-to-head. Now, only Haula would be ideal, but I'd still consider the latter two upgrades over what we presently have.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I'd also add Pokka from the KHL finals, he's been real good this season. And Niku is another possibility in the Jets bow out. So there's potentially three full pairs' worth of guys outside the squad I'd take over the present representation, so yeah, there would definitely be tough cuts. Defense really is an issue of zero concern.

I also like Vehviläinen's work this season, so the only department that really gives me cold sweat is the offense. Speaking of which, Jalonen's assistants are, coincidentally, Manner and Pennanen, so I can see some genuine blindside selections from the final two. If centres are an issue, someone like Paajanen or Leino might end up getting an invite.

Yeah I forgot Pokka. He really was rather disapointment last year. But definitely middle pack D in this group. I mean I don´t want to sound like this is amazing D. But getting four pairs of players that are somewhat proven on this level is good.

Yeah I really like Paajanen. Don´t know if he can add something to this group that already isn´t there. Maybe leadership... There are already few couple of decent options for 3-4 line center. Disapointed that Miro Aaltonen didn´t join. He was lackluster couple of years ago, but now would have been good chance to get top line role.

I´m always cautious on putting young yet unproven players like Kakko in big role. This year we may have to. But I don´t believe that the group Ruotsalainen, Suomi, Ilomäki, Manninen and so on is good enough center for him. We need number one center...

Edit.. well you were writing about the same subject :)

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
While Niku would be a nice addition to the defense and Saros (or maybe even Rinne) coming would give us a bona fide NHL goalie, I'd still like to draw your attention to the fact, gentlemen, that what we need more than anything is some forwards. Most notably centermen. Our current selection (Lammikko, Manninen, Ruotsalainen, Ilomäki, Tyrväinen, Joonas Nättinen, and perhaps some Liiga finals surprise addition) is down right abysmal.

While some of these names might be suitable for lower lines, none of them is someone you want to see serving as your 1C. This is why Dallas pulling away was not a good result for this squad. If the choice was between having Saros in net and one of the presently available guys centering the 1st line or having Vehviläinen in net and Hintz as the 1C, my choice would be the latter, and I'd frankly dope slap anyone who voices the opposite opinion.

Well, the Nashville vs. Dallas race isn't over yet, of course, as isn't another western conference race that could potentially bring relief to the situation - San Jose vs. Vegas, since Haula plays for the latter. But both are in a 3-2 situation in the "wrong" direction. In the east, Washington is pulling away, so I suppose one option in a pinch would be to get a yes from TT and then place him in the slot, even though he hasn't played the position in eons. Also, there is a bit of a three-way race going on in the west that will result in a centerman becoming available. If the Sharks claw back and beat the Golden Knights, it would make Haula available. But if Vegas runs away with it, then we'd have to turn our attention into the AHL, to the contest between San Jose Barracuda and San Diego Gulls (the Ducks' farm team), which has Antti Suomela and Kalle Kossila going head-to-head. Now, only Haula would be ideal, but I'd still consider the latter two upgrades over what we presently have.

Is Haula healthy though. He hasn´t played since the injury. I can agree with everything other in here. I was also thinking about the possibility of Teräväinen as center if he becomes available. Suomela and Kossila.. well didn´t remember them. Yeah above the current group yes. But we are screwed if Suomela is our number 1 center. Didn´t look all that good last year.

edit. Also what I really disliked is the weird center shuffles that we had in Marjamäki tenure. There is so many Winger-Center types in this team that we might get another mish-mash on that department.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Is Haula healthy though. He hasn´t played since the injury. I can agree with everything other in here. I was also thinking about the possibility of Teräväinen as center if he becomes available. Suomela and Kossila.. well didn´t remember them. Yeah above the current group yes. But we are screwed if Suomela is our number 1 center. Didn´t look all that good last year.

edit. Also what I really disliked is the weird center shuffles that we had in Marjamäki tenure. There is so many Winger-Center types in this team that we might get another mish-mash on that department.
Yep, you're right about Haula. He is injured. My mind lapsed for a moment there. So having a proven, "true" center type is down to Hintz becoming available. They might have to keep the door open 'til the second round.

Yeah, like I said, while neither Suomela nor Kossila wouldn't be ideal, they'd still be upgrades to the current group. I think Suomela really deserves a second shake, considering he has spent the season overseas. He was also good in the preliminaries last year, but somehow fell out of Marjamäki's grace as the actual tournament began, even though he was one of the few "pure" centres in the group. (I found Marja's penchant to squeeze wingers into centre slots off-putting as well.) And we're kinda in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation here. I normally wouldn't consider Kossila for the role either, but right now they need to turn every stone.

By the way, what the heck happened to Borgström? He even vocalized interest, then he suddenly wasn't there. Kinda slipped under the radar because of all the noise the Barkov declination made. Didn't pass the physical, I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014

I think Players frim Dallas and Nashville are possible. If they get out soon in round 2

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think Players frim Dallas and Nashville are possible. If they get out soon in round 2

Please lets hope that Lindell, Honka, Hintz and Heiskanen goes in NHL playoffs so far as Dallas can go.
Finland will get embarrassed in IIHF men's worlds so no need to bring those guys in Slovakia this year.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Well, the Nashville vs. Dallas race isn't over yet, of course, as isn't another western conference race that could potentially bring relief to the situation - San Jose vs. Vegas, since Haula plays for the latter. But both are in a 3-2 situation in the "wrong" direction. In the east, Washington is pulling away, so I suppose one option in a pinch would be to get a yes from TT and then place him in the slot, even though he hasn't played the position in eons.

I got a feeling that if Carolina gets eliminated, Carolina also will find a reason for Teuvo not to be able to join due to "some little injuries gained during the season and playoffs". He has grown to become one of Carolina's most important forwards and getting him some big injury now could ruin his and Carolina's start of the season for him not being able to train properly during the summer. Since he joined last year, they will find a reason not to let him come this time. Just my feeling about it. Hopefully I'm wrong about it. I'd be willing to test TT as a center on big ice as well if our center situation really will be like this.

I'm pretty pessimistic about getting this team much stronger right now and I think even Suomela would decline. Well his contract is over after this season anyways, but let's pray. He'd certaninly be a big addition to this team.

Last edited:

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Finnish players are made of sugar? Russian star players would still be ready to play for the Sbornaja after 100 NHL games too.

Reactions: jaro

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I got a feeling that if Carolina gets eliminated, Carolina also will find a reason for Teuvo not to be able to join due to "some little injuries gained during the season and playoffs". He has grown to become one of Carolina's most important forwards and getting him some big injury now could ruin his and Carolina's start of the season for him not being able to train properly during the summer. Since he joined last year, they will find a reason not to let him come this time. Just my feeling about it. Hopefully I'm wrong about it. I'd be willing to test TT as a center on big ice as well if our center situation really will be like this.

I'm pretty pessimistic about getting this team much stronger right now and I think even Suomela would decline. Well his contract is over after this season anyways, but let's pray. He'd certaninly be a big addition to this team.
I too, by no means consider TT a surefire addition if the Canes bow out. But he is still one of the few who doesn't have an obvious reason to say no. Not that it needs to be obvious.

I'm aware that Suomela - and, btw, Kossila too - doesn't have a contract, but bubble players join on occasion because they're not looking for a surefire raise, or even a surefire renewal. In fact, we have one such player already. Lammikko doesn't have a contract and evidently joined in the hopes of doing anything to raise his stock.

Also, the Sharks forced game 7 last night (on a double OT SH goal no less), so if they advance, they probably wouldn't let Suomela go even if the Barracuda bowed out.

SO, how many players have declined/just cant say yes because of contract negotiations?
Lindell, Aho, Rantanen, Puljujärvi, Armia, Lehkonen, Filppula, Donskoi, Kapanen (so the answer to your other question is yes), Ma.Granlund, Laine.

In other words, it would be easier to list those who aren't running out of contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->