WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Goalie Kevin Lankinen, Jokiharju and forward Lammikko will be only ones joining the team from NA.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Feel bad for Kakko.

He's going to get terrible linemates against NHL's and the lack of success will be somehow his fault.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
How does forward depth in the NHL help the national team if they can't come over?
Well that's a silly question. More players goes to NHL than retires = more available players. Also more and more players playing for teams which aren't making it to the playoffs or not having contract negotiations.

This is just an off year due to bad luck and perhaps domino effect. Or then everyone might aswell just admit that they don't care about WHC. Because if we can't have a decent team with that depth we have in the NHL, there's no other reasons.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think their Liiga replacements can be expected to be on par, and that's pretty much the problem with this year's roster too. There's only little difference whether a player retires or goes over to the NHL, either way he's very likely not available for the national team. I also expect this to be a trend that continues, the NHL does not want to have anything to do with international hockey beyond organizing some of its own games in Europe and maybe the World Cup of Hockey occasionally.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Next year will be decisive for me. You'll have a lot of NHL players who can play a world championship despite injured players and those who get far into the play offs. If most NHLers still refuse, that's it for me. Too bad, really. I like this kind of tournament. It's spring and this incoming music etc. . I like that! But unfortunately I can only follow this tournament half-heartedly

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nah, I would say that since he'll be facing mostly NHL defensemen, his NHL readiness will be evaluated more.

You should know by now that with Hughes vs Kakko just looking okay won't be enough.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think their Liiga replacements can be expected to be on par, and that's pretty much the problem with this year's roster too. There's only little difference whether a player retires or goes over to the NHL, either way he's very likely not available for the national team. I also expect this to be a trend that continues, the NHL does not want to have anything to do with international hockey beyond organizing some of its own games in Europe and maybe the World Cup of Hockey occasionally.

I guess you haven't seen the other countries rosters...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Any player that manages to come does it despite the NHL rather than because of it, although all of this is included in the CBA. Of course another question is why the Russians are more adamant about their rights than the Finns.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
just look on actual roster team USA :)

Reactions: Ducks76

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Is my guy Atte Ohtamaa joining the team this year? Maybe the best finnish defender not playing in the NHL. :popcorn:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I think all in all, no matter how bad or unfair does it feel that we are not gonna have all the best players available, one shuld understand many of their situation right now and respect that.

NHL ssn is long and rough till the very end and even if they are professional athletes and they shuld give something back to their country where they have developed, at the end of the day they know themselves best and u gotta respect the decisions. I dont think that any of them feel like they dont want to play in nt or some certain coach, but they also think about their careers and its not easy situation either to have all the top guns at the same pack cuz u gotta have risks on ur mind (injuries and how much insurances cost to the team etc...) and if u r not in 100% condition and play playoffs w/ painkillers etc..

It was clear before the ssn that our best players are yet very young and has to deal with new contracts in the future. That has effects on any country, we are not the exception. Even if we culd get some players from playoffs its not necessarily many and culd everyone of them perform their best and give everything to the nt.

NHL players are professional athletes who are playing for their team, their fans but most importantly to win something and for living. They are not liable to always fullfill our fans needs and to make excuses why they shuld or shuldnt play in WC. I bet also timing effects on the decisions a lot but if they rly comes it is cuz they are ready and more than willing and honored enough to represent their countries. F.ex no matter how fan favorite and class act Selänne was, I doubt he came to WC to please fans and entertain them alone, when there was glory, bonus, world championship title at stakes and I bet roster also affects to somebody (Tho Im not that convinced that it effected his decisions, but for someone might do).

Almost every year fans are waiting all of our biggest stars to arrive and it takes a lot of time from them to make the decision. I think many Finns also underestimate our FEL and its players. Imo we have very good players there, who also culd fit there if we had better team and more players from the NHL. Ofc their role wuldnt necessarily be that high in those cases, but Im even ready to be wrong when I say some of us are going to be surprised of their abilities when they have bigger role to show what they rly can do, some of them even might make it to the NHL thru camps next ssn. I think after all our team is not as bad as media and threads tells us. Let the results tells it.

Nice wall of text. However, hockey is nothing more than one form of entertainment. And I am no longer that much entertained by it. It has become a display of corporate and personal greed to an extent that was not seen before. The excuse of having to rest (when not injured) and to practice more during the summer to secure a living is LAUGHABLE regarding those who make several hundred thousand a year (or millions). They are set for life. Unless they have a gambling/drug problem in which case no sympathy is needed.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Is my guy Atte Ohtamaa joining the team this year? Maybe the best finnish defender not playing in the NHL. :popcorn:

Hard to say. I think he declined last year, but he was at the Olympics.

I would believe it becomes harder to convince these WHC regulars to join. They don´t need to showcase themselves anymore so there is little to gain for them. When the star players skip it the teams aren´t that competitive. And to be honest when the NHL players leads with example you would think some of them start to thinking "why bother".

Ohtamaa is easily one of my favourites too. This team would really need him.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
what about anton lundell? he is bigger than hepo.

As cool it obviously would be to see Lundell in men's world championships it won't happen this year.
Next year he might be in the team but that means Lundell gets some EHT games first.
And plays his draft season in HIFK so well as possible.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3