WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Has Pokka taken a step forward this season or is he still the same old Pokka?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Has Pokka taken a step forward this season or is he still the same old Pokka?
This has been a solid season from him. Unless we get every d-man from overseas that hasn't officially declined - namely, Niku, Heiskanen, Honka, Määttä and Riikola (the last two probably have, but still), he should make the squad.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Expected Preds - Stars to go game 7 and Stars to start early summer, but as so many times during these poffs I've proven to be wrong.

It wuld've been great additions if Hintz and Heiskanen joined our team right away, but also if I had to choose between one center, one young two-way defenceman (very good players tho) or two very solid gks and potentially one very good winger (has also experience as a centerman, but has his best games as a winger) and potential fourth line center/winger I wuld be thrilled towards those Preds guys either, only if they are available for us to play (Granlund's paternity situation, others conditions etc..)

Caps-Canes made it quite a bit more tricky situation right now and its probably better not to expect anything of it, but if Canes will get eliminated TT wuld make our firepower a little more convincing than what it is right atm tbh. Not much alone but still a bit

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm aware that Suomela - and, btw, Kossila too - doesn't have a contract, but bubble players join on occasion because they're not looking for a surefire raise, or even a surefire renewal. In fact, we have one such player already. Lammikko doesn't have a contract and evidently joined in the hopes of doing anything to raise his stock.

Good point about Lammikko doing that in the same position.

Hopefully Mikael Granlund would surprise everyone and come captaining our team. I'm sure he still has warm memories about Jalonen and 2011 gold. So there is still some hope although he probably loves his own kid a bit more than he loves Jalonen :thumbd:.

Playoff round 2 will have New York Islanders vs Carolina/Capitals winner. So that is some guaranteed Finns out if Caps don't already eliminate Carolina in the next game. Komarov sometimes has hinted for a comeback to the national team and he also has some love for Jalonen and Slovakia (2011). He even has a contract for the next three seasons. Filppula's contract is however ending now. So there's probably no chance to get him.

Other playoff round 2 matchups:

Columbus vs Boston/Toronto Winner.
Colorado vs San Jose/Vegas Winner.
Dallas vs St. Louis

Needless to say how much our team could benefit if Columbus or Dallas went out after round 2 of playoffs. Jere Lehtinen as a Dallas Stars legend himself should have good connections to Dallas to get Heiskanen and Hintz. Contractless Lindell sounds like a harder case. Lindell is going to get 7+ million a year contract or something and he probably shouldn't risk that with an injury.

Hännikäinen and Korpisalo seem to be contractless, but we could use Nutty. Hännikäinen must be fed up with having to eat so much pop corn and might want to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husqvarna

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hännikäinen and Korpisalo seem to be contractless, but we could use Nutty. Hännikäinen must be fed up with having to eat so much pop corn and might want to come.
Nutivaara is injured. He's apparently DTD, and might dress for the Jackets still, but I don't see him joining the NT if he isn't 100%.

In other news, Pokka isn't joining. He would have been nice, but luckily not an absolutely necessary piece, at least as long as Ohtamaa and Hakanpää join once the finals have been wrapped.

Also, scuttlebutt says Saros has expressed interest.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This Finnish team is so weak at this moment, when compared to Sweden for example. Kakko and Jokiharju will be fun to follow but otherwise i find the u18-quarter against USA more interesting for the moment.
Excuse me, i´ve missed the latest news so can someone please answer some questions?
Is Heponiemi not strong enough yet? What about Veini Vehviläinen as third? Juuso Välimäki should be better than some other options on that roster? Sami Niku?

Last edited:
Reactions: LAINEC

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Think you’ll get Kapanen?
Likely not. Out of contract.

Is Heponiemi not strong enough yet? What about Veini Vehviläinen as third? Juuso Välimäki should be better than some other options on that roster? Sami Niku?
Both Heponiemi and Vehviläinen are presently in the Liiga finals, so we'll have to wait and see who Jalonen decides to invite once the series is over, though I'm almost certain Veini will be on the list. And not just as a third string - heck, I expect him to be the starter unless we get an overseas goalie (basically Saros). His performance on EHT has been phenomenal (4 games, 0.958, 0.98GAA), and combined with his club team play, he's easily been our best euro goalie this season. At the very least he should have the backup job locked down.

Our forward group is far from stacked, more like anything but, so I wouldn't say Heponiemi is out of the contention, but I'd personally consider inviting him a surprise. We'll see. I'd say Leskinen is the most likely forward addition from Kärpät.

As for Välimäki and Niku, I'd say they'd be acting pretty silly if they haven't invited both. Whether the players in question (and their clubs) end up accepting the invites, well, we'll see, I suppose. At least there hasn't been any news about declinations yet.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Likely not. Out of contract.

Both Heponiemi and Vehviläinen are presently in the Liiga finals, so we'll have to wait and see who Jalonen decides to invite once the series is over, though I'm almost certain Veini will be on the list. And not just as a third string - heck, I expect him to be the starter unless we get an overseas goalie (basically Saros). His performance on EHT has been phenomenal (4 games, 0.958, 0.98GAA), and combined with his club team play, he's easily been our best euro goalie this season. At the very least he should have the backup job locked down.

Our forward group is far from stacked, more like anything but, so I wouldn't say Heponiemi is out of the contention, but I'd personally consider inviting him a surprise. We'll see. I'd say Leskinen is the most likely forward addition from Kärpät.

As for Välimäki and Niku, I'd say they'd be acting pretty silly if they haven't invited both. Whether the players in question (and their clubs) end up accepting the invites, well, we'll see, I suppose. At least there hasn't been any news about declinations yet.
There should be no reason for saros to Not come. Played less than 35 Games this Season should be fresh. And he is able to win games for his Team in alone. And this could be needed this year. So a nice Challenge for him to come.

Reactions: king89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->