WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Thats sad. I though at least 7-8 said yes allready. I know you dont got as many players as us(Sweden) in NHL but instead the ones you got are realy good. Hope you get some NHL players before the start.
Yes but Russia has fewer player in NHL but their Stars say mostly YES. ;)I m envy to the swedes. Not only do they ve more Players,their Stars want to play the WHC(Looking to elite defenders in last 2 WHC).

Last edited:

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I actually thought that with the NHL forbidding players to participate in OG there would be alot more comming to WC..

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yes but Russia has fewer player in NHL but their Stars say mostly YES. ;)I m envy to the swedes. Not only do they ve more Players,their Stars want to play the WHC(Looking to elite defense players in last 2 WHC).
I envy Finlands top forwards and there forward development. But not that they dont sign up for the national team. That sucks. Finland is a more passionet hockeycountry then Sweden , i envy that too. I hope things goes well for Finland, but i always want Sweden to beat you. You can beat everybody else. Thats ok.

Reactions: illone84 and fr9dd9

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
I think all in all, no matter how bad or unfair does it feel that we are not gonna have all the best players available, one shuld understand many of their situation right now and respect that.

NHL ssn is long and rough till the very end and even if they are professional athletes and they shuld give something back to their country where they have developed, at the end of the day they know themselves best and u gotta respect the decisions. I dont think that any of them feel like they dont want to play in nt or some certain coach, but they also think about their careers and its not easy situation either to have all the top guns at the same pack cuz u gotta have risks on ur mind (injuries and how much insurances cost to the team etc...) and if u r not in 100% condition and play playoffs w/ painkillers etc..

It was clear before the ssn that our best players are yet very young and has to deal with new contracts in the future. That has effects on any country, we are not the exception. Even if we culd get some players from playoffs its not necessarily many and culd everyone of them perform their best and give everything to the nt.

NHL players are professional athletes who are playing for their team, their fans but most importantly to win something and for living. They are not liable to always fullfill our fans needs and to make excuses why they shuld or shuldnt play in WC. I bet also timing effects on the decisions a lot but if they rly comes it is cuz they are ready and more than willing and honored enough to represent their countries. F.ex no matter how fan favorite and class act Selänne was, I doubt he came to WC to please fans and entertain them alone, when there was glory, bonus, world championship title at stakes and I bet roster also affects to somebody (Tho Im not that convinced that it effected his decisions, but for someone might do).

Almost every year fans are waiting all of our biggest stars to arrive and it takes a lot of time from them to make the decision. I think many Finns also underestimate our FEL and its players. Imo we have very good players there, who also culd fit there if we had better team and more players from the NHL. Ofc their role wuldnt necessarily be that high in those cases, but Im even ready to be wrong when I say some of us are going to be surprised of their abilities when they have bigger role to show what they rly can do, some of them even might make it to the NHL thru camps next ssn. I think after all our team is not as bad as media and threads tells us. Let the results tells it.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I think all in all, no matter how bad or unfair does it feel that we are not gonna have all the best players available, one shuld understand many of their situation right now and respect that.

NHL ssn is long and rough till the very end and even if they are professional athletes and they shuld give something back to their country where they have developed, at the end of the day they know themselves best and u gotta respect the decisions. I dont think that any of them feel like they dont want to play in nt or some certain coach, but they also think about their careers and its not easy situation either to have all the top guns at the same pack cuz u gotta have risks on ur mind (injuries and how much insurances cost to the team etc...) and if u r not in 100% condition and play playoffs w/ painkillers etc..

It was clear before the ssn that our best players are yet very young and has to deal with new contracts in the future. That has effects on any country, we are not the exception. Even if we culd get some players from playoffs its not necessarily many and culd everyone of them perform their best and give everything to the nt.

NHL players are professional athletes who are playing for their team, their fans but most importantly to win something and for living. They are not liable to always fullfill our fans needs and to make excuses why they shuld or shuldnt play in WC. I bet also timing effects on the decisions a lot but if they rly comes it is cuz they are ready and more than willing and honored enough to represent their countries. F.ex no matter how fan favorite and class act Selänne was, I doubt he came to WC to please fans and entertain them alone, when there was glory, bonus, world championship title at stakes and I bet roster also affects to somebody (Tho Im not that convinced that it effected his decisions, but for someone might do).

Almost every year fans are waiting all of our biggest stars to arrive and it takes a lot of time from them to make the decision. I think many Finns also underestimate our FEL and its players. Imo we have very good players there, who also culd fit there if we had better team and more players from the NHL. Ofc their role wuldnt necessarily be that high in those cases, but Im even ready to be wrong when I say some of us are going to be surprised of their abilities when they have bigger role to show what they rly can do, some of them even might make it to the NHL thru camps next ssn. I think after all our team is not as bad as media and threads tells us. Let the results tells it.
On a european rink they can compete, but not on a north american one.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
I envy Finlands top forwards and there forward development. But not that they dont sign up for the national team. That sucks. Finland is a more passionet hockeycountry then Sweden , i envy that too. I hope things goes well for Finland, but i always want Sweden to beat you. You can beat everybody else. Thats ok.
Yes this could be very easy this WHC(Probably in QF) ! Elite defender + Pettersson,Bratt,Lindholm etc.. This couldn t be very nice,from Finnish point of view. ;)

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
This roster is shocking. First time I really took a look at the roster, this is a team where not getting relegated is the main goal.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You know, everyone, there's really nothing unexpected about this situation, really. The team is shaping up more or less what one could have expected it to be as soon as around Christmas. All you had to do was look at the players we currently have in the NHL, their birth years, and their contract situations.

Goalies - I guess some people still live those days when we had 10 or so starters in the league. Any given spring, some of them would be eliminated from the playoffs, and all we needed was for one to say yes. Now, most of those guys have either retired or are around 35. And, unfortunately, the next generation of Finnish goalies - those born in the early 90s - kind of fizzled. Ortio and Aittokallio (ow, my liver) showed promise, but never realized their potential. And because goalies get there slower than skaters, we have to wait for the next crop - the late 90-borns - to mature into starters. Korpisalo, Saros, Husso, Lankinen, Kähkönen, Vehviläinen, Luukkonen... plus perhaps a late bloomer or two. Fine, maybe not all of them will make it, but some will. It will be 2-5 more years before we're back to where we were 5-7 years ago. Right now, we had only two starters in the league who could have realistically joined - Raanta and Koskinen - and both, unfortunately, had to say no.

Defense - this looked like it would be good. The contract situation was good, and we also had plenty of serviceable creatures in Europe. And it WILL be good. While all we currently have from the big league is Harkijuhuu, getting an additional name or two from overseas isn't a reach.

Forwards - hoo boy. All you had to do was go to a site that lists the contracts and check how many have the letters "RFA" or "UFA" against their current contract year. The moment I saw how many of our top shelf guys were facing negotiations (Aho, Rantanen, Laine, Armia, Lehkonen, Filppula, Donskoi, Kapanen, MaG - plus a bunch of bubble guys), I knew we'd have to bat a perfect game with those who weren't to have anything resembling a respectable offense. And now we all have our fingers crossed to have Teräväinen say yes (if the Canes get eliminated) to bring any shred of credibility to the forward corps, but even he is a possibility only because he signed an extension mid-season.

Bottom line, this storm hitting our shores was written in the tea leaves quite a while ago.

Reactions: illone84 and king89

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
So what are Puustinens odds of making the team?

Puustinen won't be joining. Other KHL players who are unavailable are Peltola, Hartikainen, Kemppainen, Joensuu, Aaltonen, Pulkkinen, Koskiranta, Lepisto, Jokipakka, Lajunen, Kivisto, Hietanen and Ruohomaa.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
This roster is shocking. First time I really took a look at the roster, this is a team where not getting relegated is the main goal.
Well i agree that this roster isn't good by any means, but that's overreacting.

Jalonen is the best possible coach for this team, and there are possibly 2-3 Liiga players who will/could play in the NHL next season. That's more than enough to avoid relegation.

I just can't be too disappointed about this situation, our best forwards are taking the league by storm and our d-core is getting better and better. Forward depth is probably by far the best among European countries in couple of years.

This is only one yearly tournament, let's give this team a chance. We all know next year will be significantly better.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
What the f*** happened? You guys always used to get your big name guys to wanna come and play in the WHC. It really puts the tournament in a bad light when one of the five big boys doesn’t get a single star player to come.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
A metric ton of contracts expiring the same year. That's basically what happened. The perfect storm, really.
Too bad. Soo just hoping that Dallas and Canes get knocked out then for you guys, I mean if you get both Heiskanen and Lindell only Sweden has a stronger defense on paper IMO Lindell is seriously underrated.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
What the **** happened? You guys always used to get your big name guys to wanna come and play in the WHC. It really puts the tournament in a bad light when one of the five big boys doesn’t get a single star player to come.

Probably pretty much the same as what was trend with u guys couple of years ago when it was mostly "nej, tack" (no, thanks) from about every top player of u. Especially when Pär Mårts was the headcoach. Roles are changing in this case :laugh:.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Too bad. Soo just hoping that Dallas and Canes get knocked out then for you guys, I mean if you get both Heiskanen and Lindell only Sweden has a stronger defense on paper IMO Lindell is seriously underrated.
Lindell, unfortunately, is one of those players without a contract. Like I said, there's so many of them it's almost funny.

What we see happening with both Sweden and Finland this year is the bandwagon effect. (And with Sweden, the couple of previous years too.) What I mean is, when there are plenty of top shelf players available and willing to come, it means even more consider joining because they see a chance to be part of a good team and win something big. But it can also work the other way - with plenty of declinations, the few remaining players who could join think twice, because it's not so much fun to be the sole star who's expected to carry the rest of the team.

Reactions: king89 and illone84

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Probably pretty much the same as what was trend with u guys couple of years ago when it was mostly "nej, tack" (no, thanks) from about every top player of u. Especially when Pär Mårts was the headcoach. Roles are changing in this case :laugh:.
Oh, I am all to familiar with this. Mårts made tried to make it seem like a big deal in media when KHL players accepted an invitation, which, of course, was ridiculous.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Lindell, unfortunately, is one of those players without a contract. Like I said, there's so many of them it's almost funny.

What we see happening with both Sweden and Finland this year is the bandwagon effect. (And with Sweden, the couple of previous years too.) What I mean is, when there are plenty of top shelf players available and willing to come, it means even more consider joining because they see a chance to be part of a good team and win something big. But it can also work the other way - with plenty of declinations, the few remaining players who could join think twice, because it's not so much fun to be the sole star who's expected to carry the rest of the team.
Really? damn. Well best of luck anyways.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

Definitely. There has been plenty of down years for Sweden, too. 2016 for example. Finland was fairly stacked, and Sweden was looking pretty bleak on the nhl front. Obviously, the amount of nhlers for each team was still based on the amount of players that each country had in the nhl at the time. Finland had less than 15 full time nhlers and still managed to get plenty of guys from NA. Sweden, on the other hand had at least 50 -60 nhlers and only managed to assemble a team of about 8 nhlers.

This year is a down year but we'll come back strong in 2020, in regards to nhl talent playing in Switzerland. All good.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Probably pretty much the same as what was trend with u guys couple of years ago when it was mostly "nej, tack" (no, thanks) from about every top player of u. Especially when Pär Mårts was the headcoach. Roles are changing in this case.

Oh, I am all to familiar with this. Mårts made tried to make it seem like a big deal in media when KHL players accepted an invitation, which, of course, was ridiculous.
In Finland's case it should not be due to the coach, though. Jukka Jalonen, who brought home the gold in 2011 and the WJC gold in 2016 is back to coaching our team, and he should have plenty of respect among the players. It's the contract situation and the unfortunate reverse bandwagon effect stemming from that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Looking more like either Rinne or Saros might become available. I don't know Salomäki's contract situation and I doubt Granlund comes due to just becoming a father. Unless his family travels with him to Slovakia.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Looking more like either Rinne or Saros might become available. I don't know Salomäki's contract situation and I doubt Granlund comes due to just becoming a father. Unless his family travels with him to Slovakia.
Let's not get hasty. The series is tied and Nashville still has the home advantage. It could really go either way. But whichever way it goes, it has the potential to bring some much-needed relief. Salomäki does have a contract for the next year. Yet the main prize if the Preds get eliminated will naturally be one of their goalies. But I'd take Hintz & Heiskanen too, if the series goes the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00