WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And the KHL players declining is arguably another issue that should be looked into more closely. It's especially puzzling since some guys who turn down the WHC invites don't mind answering EHT calls earlier in the season.

I'm not claiming it's the whole picture, but cynically speaking someone might be motivated by the opportunity to leave the club for a few days in the middle of the excruciating KHL season.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
"24.6 For the IIHF World Championships, the Clubs shall permit a Player to play for his National team provided:

(a) The Player's Club either did not qualify for the NHL Playoffs or was eliminated in an early round of the Playoffs.

(b) No agent or representative of the Player's National team inquired as to whether the Player would be willing to play for his National team until after his Club was eliminated from the NHL Playoffs and any such inquiry was only made with simultaneous notice being given to the General Manager of the Player's Club and the Player.

(c) The IIHF or the Player's National team agree to provide such insurance to cover the remaining value of the Player's SPC.

(d) The IIHF or the Player's National team agree to provide such additional insurance to cover the Player's loss of earning capacity as the Player may require.
"

Team claiming an "injury" without even including him in the IR/LTIR is not valid.

It's covered before that.

24.4 A Player who participates in any International Hockey Game or other jointly-developed international project or initiative provided for in Sections 24.1(a)(ii) or 24.5 shall have the same rights and obligations under his SPC and under this Agreement as if he were participating in an NHL Game.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
International Hockey Game refers solely to such events organized by the NHL, such as the Global Series, see 24.1 for definition.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not claiming it's the whole picture, but cynically speaking someone might be motivated by the opportunity to leave the club for a few days in the middle of the excruciating KHL season.
The KHL has breaks in its calendar during the Eurotour events. So a player does not have to join the NT if they need an opportunity to visit home and see friends and family.

But I could see how some of them might find it fun to join the Karjala tournament to play in front of the home crowd.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The KHL has breaks in its calendar during the Eurotour events. So a player does not have to join the NT if they need an opportunity to visit home and see friends and family.

That's been a contentious issue between the league and the players association, not all teams have been willing to grant these days off to players not involved in the national team duties. My impression is that typically it's two or three days off.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
These kind of news bring me very negative thoughts. I've been following these players for years and hoping them to do well. For what? Why do I even follow hockey if we, the Finnish hockey fans, mean so little to these players. In future I will be more focused on football instead.

Reactions: RorschachWJK

king89

Dec 4, 2018
At least we got Jokiharju, that kid is a beast. If Boston gets eliminated maybe Vaakanainen will get an invite? I think he's better then some of the European defensman that has been discussed.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Now when 3 NHL centers ( Barkov, Borgström and Kotkaniemi) are declined to this years IIHF men's worlds i think it's better put Kakko to center and see how it works.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
If Barkov would have informed the Finnish federation then the Finnish federation would be aware of that which they are not. Everything in this makes blatantly clear that the decision was made by the Panthers and they openly admit as much.

So now you are part of the Finnish federation huh? You know for a fact that Barkov didn’t inform them of his intentions, and that out of their own will, the Panthers said he is not going? No, you don’t know crap, so stop insinuating that this was strictly the teams decision. A lot of players don’t want to go this season, yet without know what’s going on behind the scenes, you want to cry because the team released a statement via Twitter :shakehead

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The team released a statement according to which it was a team decision, which is explicitly forbidden by the rules as the decision belongs to the player alone. Whether the team asked Barkov for his opinion or not is irrelevant, because them taking part in such way is illegal to start with.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
It's covered before that.

24.4 A Player who participates in any International Hockey Game or other jointly-developed international project or initiative provided for in Sections 24.1(a)(ii) or 24.5 shall have the same rights and obligations under his SPC and under this Agreement as if he were participating in an NHL Game.

[Mod]

That sniplet doesn't take out anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
These kind of news bring me very negative thoughts. I've been following these players for years and hoping them to do well. For what? Why do I even follow hockey if we, the Finnish hockey fans, mean so little to these players. In future I will be more focused on football instead.

That has already happened to me, although I haven't increased focus on football. Nowadays I watch hockey just a tiny fraction of what I used to. The reasons for this are 1) NHL screwing up best-on-best hockey (Olympics) and 2) the rash of players declining national team during the last few years. It's just not worth it, but fortunately there's no shortage of interesting things in life, other than hockey.

And I used to be a guy who would pay for watching hockey and 3-4 days of the week would wake up around 4 o'clock in the morning to watch NHL live before going to work. That meant arranging my daily life to accommodate this, i.e. going to sleep at 8 o'clock in the evening. Losing pretty fanatical fans like me doesn't look very good on the sport.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
That has already happened to me, although I haven't increased focus on football. Nowadays I watch hockey just a tiny fraction of what I used to. The reasons for this are 1) NHL screwing up best-on-best hockey (Olympics) and 2) the rash of players declining national team during the last few years. It's just not worth it, but fortunately there's no shortage of interesting things in life, other than hockey.

And I used to be a guy who would pay for watching hockey and 3-4 days of the week would wake up around 4 o'clock in the morning to watch NHL live before going to work. That meant arranging my daily life to accommodate this, i.e. going to sleep at 8 o'clock in the evening. Losing pretty fanatical fans like me doesn't look very good on the sport.

Yeah. Olympics thing did kill lot of my interest towards NHL. To be honest the third lockout already did lot of work on that.

I still watch heavily international hockey. I don´t have negative thoughts toward players that don´t come to WHC´s, but at the same time those who bother usually comes my favourite players in the long run.

Still, someone like Sebastian Aho has been in every tournament possible. two U18, two U20, three WHC´s and a World Cup. He is 21. Mikko Rantanen has been in every WHC. He was willing to be the extra forward even. How much harm this has done to their development? In my eyes these are the players that has progressed the most in last few years.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
To be fair towards Marjamäki who did get lot of critique about players not wanting to play in his team. Jukka Jalonen (and Lehtinen) has done rather poor job selling this project.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Actually zero I guess. Something like 17 players have said no so far.
Thats sad. I though at least 7-8 said yes allready. I know you dont got as many players as us(Sweden) in NHL but instead the ones you got are realy good. Hope you get some NHL players before the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: