WC: Team CZE - 2019

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Remember Hamrlik on Fleury in front of the net at salt lake? pure dirt bag stuff, czechs have been guilty of playing dirty before, they don't take losing well at all either.
Take off the blinders and just watch the games.

All this stuff is a long time ago now anyway, as a fan you need to move on.

I fully admit I don't remember Hamrlik on Fleury... clip?

Czechs have been doing nothing but losing, we're actually excellent at it!

I have no blinders on.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I fully admit I don't remember Hamrlik on Fleury... clip?

Czechs have been doing nothing but losing, we're actually excellent at it!

I have no blinders on.
Brutal crosscheck.

All of this stuff is in the past though,does not have any consequence on this game and better left where it belongs, in the past. I do not see any relevance in bringing any of this stuff up today.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Brutal crosscheck.

All of this stuff is in the past though,does not have any consequence on this game and better left where it belongs, in the past. I do not see any relevance in bringing any of this stuff up today.
I didn't bring it up.... good luck. Like I say.. my brain says 4-1 Canada. My heart says Czechs 3-2.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I still dont understand why Říha kept shuffling the lines for the whole tournament (aside from the first line), and he still didnt find an effective 2nd line winger after 8 games (unless you think Jaškin did that job today)

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
One is always smarter in hindsight, but honestly... what was this tonight - there was no game strategy visible in tonight's game!? Maybe I made the mistake of watching Finland-Russia before.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I still dont understand why Říha kept shuffling the lines for the whole tournament (aside from the first line), and he still didnt find an effective 2nd line winger after 8 games (unless you think Jaškin did that job today)
We did have an effective second line winger.. Vrana is a perfect 2nd line winger. But we benched him for Jaskin, Hynek Zohorna, Filip Chytil and Milan Gulas. This has to be the most bizarre decision since... well, when we didn't bring Pytlik to the U18's a month ago. Czech hockey!

Reactions: Renmar and kudymen

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
We did have an effective second line winger.. Vrana is a perfect 2nd line winger. But we benched him for Jaskin, Hynek Zohorna, Filip Chytil and Milan Gulas. This has to be the most bizarre decision since... well, when we didn't bring Pytlik to the U18's a month ago. Czech hockey!

It's annoying. Vrana had some chances in limited 2nd period time today - and if they kept them together for a bit before this game, that line could have developed some chemistry. This is obviously whole lot of IFs and we still went down by 4 goals - but this decision is.. puzzling to put it nicely.

On a lighter note, I underestimated what T Zohorna could bring today. I gladly eat crow and say he surprised me today

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Riha's constant changes in lineup, the Gulas decision and weird goalie rotation cost us.
Yeah, if you're going to go with Bartosak (I was at peace with that) then why play Francouz in the 2 blowout games? No idea.

I will stand by my decade long complaint that we always play our second best goalie in these big games and it always ends in a loss.. Francouz over Mrazek, Francouz over Rittich, Bartosak over Francouz, Hnilcka over Vokoun, Stepanek over Pavelec, Kovar over Pavelec, Salak over Pavelec. I'm always presented with some great looking stat and then watch NHL scorers destroy them quickly. Not that I, in anyway, blame Bartosak or think Francouz would've been the difference today. But, Id REALLY like to see us get rid of this Euro Goalie is better than NHL goalie mentality. (note: Finns are in final with Euro goalie, Swiss did it last year so maybe I'm just wrong).

Riha had 9 games to find balance... he didn't. He stuck with first line which was very good. He's never figured out powerplay .. bad. PK has been excellent. He's done a great job with utilizing Hronek. He figured out 3rd line mid tournament but in NO WAY do I think Gulas made Kovar or Kubalik (who have both been excellent) any better? I was livid when I heard he phoned him in the middle of the night, I haven't really calmed down since.lol I just don't see what positive effect Gulas has on our 1PP or 3rd line against the Swiss, Germans and now Canada? Vrana is still second in goals scored to my knowledge? Making the Plsen line untouchable really f***ed up our rotations because if you weren't Top 6 you had to go to pressbox and not third line and I'm positive Chytil or Vrana would do better in that spot over Gulas.

Having said all this... I give Riha a lot of credit. He got the team rolling, we are playing for Bronze tomorrow and still have a chance at a medal. Dekuju!

Reactions: czechmate

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
One is always smarter in hindsight, but honestly... what was this tonight - there was no game strategy visible in tonight's game!? Maybe I made the mistake of watching Finland-Russia before.
I know this sounds like sarcasm. but the plan in the first period was 'get the puck to Gulas'. That was plan A. If you have the means, rewatch that period and our 2 powerplays.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's annoying. Vrana had some chances in limited 2nd period time today - and if they kept them together for a bit before this game, that line could have developed some chemistry. This is obviously whole lot of IFs and we still went down by 4 goals - but this decision is.. puzzling to put it nicely.

On a lighter note, I underestimated what T Zohorna could bring today. I gladly eat crow and say he surprised me today
It's the Kessel argument... I'm sure at some point Vrana didn't skate backwards hard enough. But, a lot of the time, when he's on the ice the puck is going the other way. That's his strength. His speed is amazing and he can stretch out plays and take passes in full stride. As an opponent you have to respect that. Best Defense is a good offence but we are still stuck in 6 scorers and 6 plugs mode.

Reactions: kudymen

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Yeah, if you're going to go with Bartosak (I was at peace with that) then why play Francouz in the 2 blowout games? No idea.

I will stand by my decade long complaint that we always play our second best goalie in these big games and it always ends in a loss.. Francouz over Mrazek, Francouz over Rittich, Bartosak over Francouz, Hnilcka over Vokoun, Stepanek over Pavelec, Kovar over Pavelec, Salak over Pavelec. I'm always presented with some great looking stat and then watch NHL scorers destroy them quickly. Not that I, in anyway, blame Bartosak or think Francouz would've been the difference today. But, Id REALLY like to see us get rid of this Euro Goalie is better than NHL goalie mentality. (note: Finns are in final with Euro goalie, Swiss did it last year so maybe I'm just wrong).

Riha had 9 games to find balance... he didn't. He stuck with first line which was very good. He's never figured out powerplay .. bad. PK has been excellent. He's done a great job with utilizing Hronek. He figured out 3rd line mid tournament but in NO WAY do I think Gulas made Kovar or Kubalik (who have both been excellent) any better? I was livid when I heard he phoned him in the middle of the night, I haven't really calmed down since.lol I just don't see what positive effect Gulas has on our 1PP or 3rd line against the Swiss, Germans and now Canada? Vrana is still second in goals scored to my knowledge? Making the Plsen line untouchable really ****ed up our rotations because if you weren't Top 6 you had to go to pressbox and not third line and I'm positive Chytil or Vrana would do better in that spot over Gulas.

Having said all this... I give Riha a lot of credit. He got the team rolling, we are playing for Bronze tomorrow and still have a chance at a medal. Dekuju!

Czechboy for Czech NT coach! Like this post, if you agree.

Reactions: NyQuil

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechboy for Czech NT coach! Like this post, if you agree.
My dream job would be to write about Czech hockey.. especially at Junior level and bring more awareness. Although, if Filip Pesan ever wants to talk to me, I'll gladly meet him.lmao

Much like my Oiler's.. the Czechs need people in the room that don't agree with them. It's an Old Boys Club that started losing control a decade ago and hasn't really regained it. As happy as I am about Hajek and Hronek.. we're still not developing top Dmen in NHL drafts. Has is probably round 3? All we produce are wingers... just once I want to see that we have 2 or 3 guys going in Round 1 and see they are Centres and D's. We're good at Goalies (although we bench them) and Wings. It's been a decade of this. Can they not call Sweden/Canada and ask what they do to develop D so consistently?

Reactions: Jablkon

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I can't understand why we stopped playing like we did vs Sweden? What a fantastic performance that was. I understand that Riga changed lines to experiment, but why try to fix something that wasn't broken? Bizarre.

The benching of Vrana today until we were down 2-0 was beyond stupid. If you want him to play, you have to give him a chance to get into the game. It was already hard for him when he was benched vs Germany and now he only got to play once we were down by 2. I'm not saying Vrana would have saved us, but he's our only pure goal-scorer imo. He needs to play from the first minute. Riha's treatment of Vrana in this game was childish and immature.

Bartosak was weak today. First two goals he should have had.

I think overall we lost because of our age-old problem of being unable to score despite creating numerous chances. This has been our problem for some time. I also can't understand why we can't seem to have a functional power-play at any level!

I can't really see us beating Russia tomorrow. I think we'll need to wait a little longer to get that coveted medal :(

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I can't understand why we stopped playing like we did vs Sweden? What a fantastic performance that was. I understand that Riga changed lines to experiment, but why try to fix something that wasn't broken? Bizarre.

The benching of Vrana today until we were down 2-0 was beyond stupid. If you want him to play, you have to give him a chance to get into the game. It was already hard for him when he was benched vs Germany and now he only got to play once we were down by 2. I'm not saying Vrana would have saved us, but he's our only pure goal-scorer imo. He needs to play from the first minute. Riha's treatment of Vrana in this game was childish and immature.

Bartosak was weak today. First two goals he should have had.

I think overall we lost because of our age-old problem of being unable to score despite creating numerous chances. This has been our problem for some time. I also can't understand why we can't seem to have a functional power-play at any level!

I can't really see us beating Russia tomorrow. I think we'll need to wait a little longer to get that coveted medal :(
This will sound stupid but if we were meeting for Russia for Gold, I had my money on them. In the Bronze game, I like our chances. I still remember Plekanec scoring that empty netter in 2011!

If Vrana isn't our best pure shooter.. then who is? I know we haven't had pure shooters in a long time but you'd thing that would be a welcome problem to have? Pastrnak and Hertl will score more goals and are legit first liners but they are not pure shooters. Vrana is a modern player that confuses the hell our of Reichel and Riha.

Bartosak was weak unfortunately. I liked him in tourney and think he deserves one of those 3 players of tourney awards.

Putting on Vrana after we are down against a Canadian team is very self serving. Now he can point out it didn't work and Tomas Zohorna scored and Vrana didn't. The even stupider move was dedicating our first period to Milan Gulas.

Can't score in big games or powerplays and thought the solution was in the Extraliga.lol I cant' stress enough to Kovar is of KHL quality and Kubalik is in NHL next season. This all Plsen thing is ridiculous.lol

Who would you start tomorrow?

I really want Gulas and H. Zohorna benched. Chytil on bottom 6, Vrana in Top 6 but I have no idea who I'd put in net?

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I have never fully digested the fact that HC Lev Praha was dissolved. Back then, whenever HC Lev Praha was playing, I felt really pumped. Having a KHL club in the Czech Republic would certainly improve Czech hockey, it's the 2nd best league in the world after all. Even if the team may be initially weaker than the leading KHL teams, the players would eventually adjust to KHL level over time. Especially the younger players could gain some valuable experience, being exposed to top teams at a very young age. Regaining access to the KHL would be a very smart move for Czech hockey, but unfortunately unrealistic due to lack of $$$.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
My dream job would be to write about Czech hockey.. especially at Junior level and bring more awareness. Although, if Filip Pesan ever wants to talk to me, I'll gladly meet him.lmao

Much like my Oiler's.. the Czechs need people in the room that don't agree with them. It's an Old Boys Club that started losing control a decade ago and hasn't really regained it. As happy as I am about Hajek and Hronek.. we're still not developing top Dmen in NHL drafts. Has is probably round 3? All we produce are wingers... just once I want to see that we have 2 or 3 guys going in Round 1 and see they are Centres and D's. We're good at Goalies (although we bench them) and Wings. It's been a decade of this. Can they not call Sweden/Canada and ask what they do to develop D so consistently?
They cant, it would show how incompetent fools they are. Unfortunately Pesan will be there alone but lets hope. But frankly I dont really care much anymore. Its a same thing with football, just bit of better edition. I always wonder who and how many guys restored canadian hockey program in 99 or finnish or swedish one or belgium football one

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I have never fully digested the fact that HC Lev Praha was dissolved. Back then, whenever HC Lev Praha was playing, I felt really pumped. Having a KHL club in the Czech Republic would certainly improve Czech hockey, it's the 2nd best league in the world after all. Even if the team may be initially weaker than the leading KHL teams, the players would eventually adjust to KHL level over time. Especially the younger players could gain some valuable experience, being exposed to top teams at a very young age. Regaining access to the KHL would be a very smart move for Czech hockey, but unfortunately unrealistic due to lack of $$$.

My dream was to live in Prague that year.. 2 Extraliga teams and a KHL one! If I ever move back to Brno, I'd definitely be a season's ticket holder too!

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

Riha had 9 games to find balance... he didn't. He stuck with first line which was very good. He's never figured out powerplay .. bad. PK has been excellent. He's done a great job with utilizing Hronek. He figured out 3rd line mid tournament but in NO WAY do I think Gulas made Kovar or Kubalik (who have both been excellent) any better? I was livid when I heard he phoned him in the middle of the night, I haven't really calmed down since.lol I just don't see what positive effect Gulas has on our 1PP or 3rd line against the Swiss, Germans and now Canada? Vrana is still second in goals scored to my knowledge? Making the Plsen line untouchable really ****ed up our rotations because if you weren't Top 6 you had to go to pressbox and not third line and I'm positive Chytil or Vrana would do better in that spot over Gulas.

I have been usually standing up for the Euro goalies. You see the stats and you are usually impressed - Francouz, Salak, Stepanek, Kovar, they all at least at some points of their carrer had amazing stats in KHL.
However, I'm starting to be more convinced about your point. The euro goalies were almost never our strenght on the tourney. Maybe you could make some case for Furch who was pretty stellar thorugh the WHC in 2016 but that's it from last decade. They were never awful (Salak maybe was) but never were the ones to steal games, not to mention play-off games. I know we always say that we don't have a problem with goaltenders, that we have a lot of solid ones. Yes, we do but the problem is they are just solid ones. Hasek was whole different level but none of them is even Vokoun-like.
The reality is though that today we don't have any clear number 1 goalie in the NHL (I think Mrazek and Rittich are still not established) and we usually must rely on the Euro guys. The problem also is that we fans and our coaches and people from association making it sometimes seem like they are superstars. They're not, they are just good.
No Vasilevski, no Rinne, no Rask, no Bobrovski, no Holtby, no Price etc.. no long-established top goalie for us... and it's been a while, Vokoun was the last one. We have always needed a top class goaltending for big wins and with this worse era of our hockey you need it twice as much...

Reactions: Jablkon

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I am predicting we gonna loose it because czech fans booed russian anthem in group stage so karma will work. Thats think I can not get over.

Imo Francouz in net and then whoever, I would give it to Chytil but that would probably piss older guys I dot know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad