WC: Team CZE - 2019

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Couple of possibly hot takes:

Gulas really wasn't worth the last minute change.

Chytil, as much as I like him, is young and not ready.

Vrana made it look like he came to Bratislava for holidays. He's got the message now, let's have him back in.

The team looked generaly clueless today (and I think this is on Riha) which became super painful to watch during PPs. I know they have little chance against CAN but can Riha at least try to work on the PP?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Couple of possibly hot takes:

Gulas really wasn't worth the last minute change.

Chytil, as much as I like him, is young and not ready.

Vrana made it look like he came to Bratislava for holidays. He's got the message now, let's have him back in.

The team looked generaly clueless today (and I think this is on Riha) which became super painful to watch during PPs. I know they have little chance against CAN but can Riha at least try to work on the PP?

Gulas would be fine as a 4th line winger and a 'locker room guy' but the minutes he got are just f***en ridiculous.

Our powerplay would be much better if we didn't think think Gulas is the answer to it.. by 'we' I mean Riha

Chytil would be amazing on our 4th or 3rd line as a winger instead of Gulas

Vrana is STILL the second highest scoring Czech despite sitting... he is smooth and silky, not lazy and unmotivated.

I agree we looked clueless but we did end up with 5 goals.. again. Stuck with it.. not how I'd like to see it done but that is 7 out of 8 games with 5 goals.

Reactions: Chips and smitty10

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Apparently they worked most of the practice yesterday on PPs... :dunno:
Yup... apparantly 'give the puck to Gulas' isn't a great execution. He looked awful against Swiss and Germans.. I'm sure he'll shine against all NHL Canada. Picture Gulas trying to dangle Nurse or get by Stone.lmao

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I wrote this before the game:

Keys to victory:

Bartosak can't allow more than 2 goals (which he's consistent at)

** only 1 against and he set it up for an assist to pass both Zohorna's in scoring

We need to score early and get Germans to open up as we're much deeper

** we did score first and second.. it opened up after that

Get crowd jumping

** I'm not sure if they were jumping but, going into third, I wanted to throw up

We can't stop Drai (no one can) but we need to contain him - I would personally 'larkin him' and assign a fast guy to drive him crazy (like Palat or Frolik). Germans can't afford to match us

** no line matching with our 'modern coaches'... Drai against Zohorna.. of course. Drai against Moravcik.. of course. Drai against Robert Zaruba.. why not?

First line needs to keep scoring and tilting ice or First line needs to be even against Drai and 2nd and 3rd line need to outscore German 2nd and 3rd line

** we definitely outscored German 2nd and 3rd lines.. we also countered Drai effectively. I would've preferred us just match Simon line against him all night but it worked regardless.

Secondary scoring from anywhere (I'd guess Kubalik or Kovar)
** Kubalik with a rocket... Kovar with 2 goals

Palat is due for his first mutli point game!
** 1 goal but it was the dagger that ended it

No stupid penalties from Jaskin/Moravcik/Zohorna
** Jaskin had one. Moravcik got an assist and allowed Drai in on a breakaway (he'd be my 7th D).. Zohorna's played awesome and created several chances

We have a deep team with tonnes of skill and we've kept first periods close and then opened it up in 2nd and 3rd periods.
** waited till 3rd but got our 7th 5 goal game.

I know Kahun is great but we have about 5 guys like him or better (including Vrana and Chytil.lol)
** I never meant for Chytil to be Top 6... he is bottom 6 now... I'd prefer him on wing in bottom 6 with 2nd PP time. Vrana is top 6 by a mile and should be there. Never noticed Kahun.. did notice Toeffels a few times.

Since we're not using logic (or stats) to make decisions we need character guys like Gulas and such to rally the boys and get them to win with 'intangibles' that can't be measured

** We did win but Gulas was awful. He's only looked 'good' against Italy and Austria. Using Swiss and this game.. Kubalik and Kovar score away from him, not with him. If he's a great locker room guy (and I really struggle thinking guys like Voracek look up to him) then maybe 13th forward? He's going to get killed against Canada.

Powerplay needs to be good - special teams are huge in elimination games

** powerplay was awful.. however, it's also 4 NHL guys and Gulas. I don't get this at all. He's getting premium minutes and not delivering at all... if I'm wrong, please share a .gif but he's not controlling play, he's not scoring and his shot is a muffing. That's before watching him miss 2 empty nets including one inside the blue line.

PK needs to continue being good

** it was great! Canada has a much different looking Powerplay though.

Hronek needs to not go crazy.lol
** Hronek was awesome. Zero questions. Next Zidlicky is great.

Reactions: jjnhl68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
How I'd run the Semi:

Frolik - Simon - Voracek
Vrana - Faksa - Palat
Kubalik - Kovar - Chytil
Jaskin - T. Zohorna - Repik
Gulas

Gulas should get ZERO PP time... ZERO. I also wouldn't play him in the final minute of any period. He's a locker room hero, great. Keep him in but not at the expense of scoring, premium minutes and PP time. The Swedes just got eliminated and are livid Loui Eriksson got so many minutes.. Loui is better than Gulas.

I'd keep keep D same because it is working but would love to see a reduction in Moravcik and an increase in Gudas. However, we keep winning with him.

They said Francouz is healthy.. this should now be Bartosak to the end. Even if he allows 10 goals in Semi.. he should start for Bronze unless he is injured. I think Francouz is better but Bartosak beat Sweden, Swiss and won a quarter. Who's the last Czech goalie to do those things?

I'm beyond ecstatic! Time for a 5pm Becherovka! Saturday at 1pm vs Canada.. can't wait to wear my Czech jersey to work tomorrow!

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
How I'd run the Semi:

Frolik - Simon - Voracek
Vrana - Faksa - Palat
Kubalik - Kovar - Chytil
Jaskin - T. Zohorna - Repik
Gulas

Gulas should get ZERO PP time... ZERO. I also wouldn't play him in the final minute of any period. He's a locker room hero, great. Keep him in but not at the expense of scoring, premium minutes and PP time. The Swedes just got eliminated and are livid Loui Eriksson got so many minutes.. Loui is better than Gulas.

I'd keep keep D same because it is working but would love to see a reduction in Moravcik and an increase in Gudas. However, we keep winning with him.

They said Francouz is healthy.. this should now be Bartosak to the end. Even if he allows 10 goals in Semi.. he should start for Bronze unless he is injured. I think Francouz is better but Bartosak beat Sweden, Swiss and won a quarter. Who's the last Czech goalie to do those things?

I'm beyond ecstatic! Time for a 5pm Becherovka! Saturday at 1pm vs Canada.. can't wait to wear my Czech jersey to work tomorrow!

:laugh:

Any chance that you and Gulas will be best friends, in this life or the next? ;)

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I really hope that our 2nd line will be Vrana-Faksa-Palat on Saturday and Sunday.

Chytil is not ready yet and Jaskin is not TOP6 winger, lol.

Bench Gulaš, he is not good player. nothing positive.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Any chance that you and Gulas will be best friends, in this life or the next? ;)
I like Gulas.. I really do. Like I say.. bring back the European Championships mid season and give him 20 minutes a night with the KHL and Extraliga guys. Name him captain. I'll get a jersey! But Gulas at the expense of Vrana is madness. Gulas getting more minutes than Palat, Simon, Vrana, Chytil, Kubalik is just plain madness. This is Hadamczak all over again where the coach just loves a guy despite that guy not being good enough. And he's not good enough to help us beat Russia or Canada.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I've even accepted that at 4C T. Zohorna might be more useful than Chytil IF Chytil is on a wing in Top 9.

It's the Top 9 concept I want us to figure out as a federation. Top 6 and bottom 6 is honestly a very old concept that is not used by top teams anymore.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I really hope that our 2nd line will be Vrana-Faksa-Palat on Saturday and Sunday.

Chytil is not ready yet and Jaskin is not TOP6 winger, lol.

Bench Gulaš, he is not good player. nothing positive.

Vrana-Faksa-Palat could give Canada a lot of headaches!

Reactions: AdamParrot

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Gulas shouldnt be there but I quite like he might be there:)) Its funny. NOw I read how Riha explained in Isport Vrana in pressbox. "He is breakway guy, that doesnt fit against Germany":)) I guess that itself must motivate him a lot. We dont win it anyway so this is actually funny to follow.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I'd try Vrana back with Kovar and Kubalik. As we played 1st match with SWE.

1st line is sure
2nd Jaskin - Faksa - Palat
3rd Kubalik - Kovar - Vrana
4th both Zohornas with Repik
Chytil 13th

We will have 2 second lines (2nd and 3rd). Equal ice time and players from those 2 lines are divided into two PP units.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd try Vrana back with Kovar and Kubalik. As we played 1st match with SWE.

1st line is sure
2nd Jaskin - Faksa - Palat
3rd Kubalik - Kovar - Vrana
4th both Zohornas with Repik
Chytil 13th

We will have 2 second lines (2nd and 3rd). Equal ice time and players from those 2 lines are divided into two PP units.
You're hired!

Not sure how you'll tell Milos that Gulas is not playing though? Flowers? Case of beer? I'm pretty sure line 3 is untouchable... your idea is much better though because it is using 3 attacking lines and I'm positive Vrana would help that third line.

The other reason I want Vrana over Gulas/Zohorna.. what happens if Voracek/Palat/Kubalik/Frolik block a shot, get hit from behind etc and cannot finish game? In todays game that would have H. Zohornoa moving up. I'd much rather have Chytil/Vrana on the bench in case of injury. They do happen.. a good German guy left mid game today.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Gulas shouldnt be there but I quite like he might be there:)) Its funny. NOw I read how Riha explained in Isport Vrana in pressbox. "He is breakway guy, that doesnt fit against Germany":)) I guess that itself must motivate him a lot. We dont win it anyway so this is actually funny to follow.
LOL... he's not a breakaway guy.. he's a shooter who's fast. Always has been. Even if not scoring, his speed is helpful. He's sneaky as hell. He's a poor man's Mark Stone. Czechs haven't had many great shooters since Hejduk.. he just doesn't fit into our plans because we don't have other's like him.

I know you didn't say it but look at his 4 goals... one time against Sweden from blue line, top shelf against Sweden in a 1 on 1, amazing dangle against Latvia and sneaky goal against Austria. Not one breakaway.. he's a sneaky scorer. He isn't a first line go to like Ovechkin.. he's beautiful depth scoring which we've been sorely lacking for about 10 years. He's basically a better version of Kubalik - who I think will do well in NHL next season.

Reactions: 24 others

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
At least Vrana will probably play against Canada as from reading between the lines in Riha's interview.. now watch him scoring a hattrick and getting us into the finals just to let everyone celebrate this Riha's quarterfinal move with him :sarcasm: well, I would take it..

Reactions: Czechboy

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
He's basically a better version of Kubalik - who I think will do well in NHL next season.
Kubalik headed to the NHL, really? I wish him the best but I'd be worried about the NHL brass thinking of him as one-dimensional.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kubalik headed to the NHL, really? I wish him the best but I'd be worried about the NHL brass thinking of him as one-dimensional.
Bowman said he expects him in top 9 to start but that was before they won draft lottery. Kakko/Hughes might cost him a spot.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Bowman said he expects him in top 9 to start but that was before they won draft lottery. Kakko/Hughes might cost him a spot.
But Blackhawks have 3rd pick. I'm sure Devils and Rangers will pick Kakko and Hughes.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
But Blackhawks have 3rd pick. I'm sure Devils and Rangers will pick Kakko and Hughes.
You're right, my bad. This years draft doesn't have 3 guys that should start in NHL. Just Kakko and Hughes. I thought Chicago had 2nd pick and they don't. I imagine they'll take the Dman (they should) and he won't be in NHL for at least 1 year. Sorry.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
You're right, my bad. This years draft doesn't have 3 guys that should start in NHL. Just Kakko and Hughes. I thought Chicago had 2nd pick and they don't. I imagine they'll take the Dman (they should) and he won't be in NHL for at least 1 year. Sorry.
Np. I wish him awesome career in NHL. All czechs will go crazy if Kubalda will play already in Prague in 1st match of the season.

Kämpfik must help him in first few months. It's good he's there :thumbu::thumbu:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Np. I wish him awesome career in NHL. All czechs will go crazy if Kubalda will play already in Prague in 1st match of the season.

Kämpfik must help him in first few months. It's good he's there :thumbu::thumbu:
And Kahun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad