WC: Team CZE - 2019

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Pavel Francouz is now a Canadian millionaire! Signed for 950k US for a 1 year and 1 way deal. With Varlomov gone he might not get screwed over this time. I was really hoping the oil would sign him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Filip Pyrochta is getting turfed by Nashville... put on unconditional waivers. He's another D that went over to try to make NHL and ended up in ECHL. Making the NHL as a Dman is not easy for Czech people.

For next year I think we only have:

Hronek, Gudas, Polak, Simek, Kempny, Rutta, Hajek and maybe Zboril or Masin move up. I think Sustr might be done as an NHLer. Simek, Kempny and Hajek are all dealing with nasty injuries too. It's realistic that we might only have 3 or 4 D in the NHL on opening night.

Did I miss anyone?

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Filip Pyrochta is getting turfed by Nashville... put on unconditional waivers. He's another D that went over to try to make NHL and ended up in ECHL. Making the NHL as a Dman is not easy for Czech people.

Hronek, Gudas, Polak, Simek, Kempny, Rutta, Hajek and maybe Zboril or Masin move up. I think Sustr might be done as an NHLer. Simek, Kempny and Hajek are all dealing with nasty injuries too. It's realistic that we might only have 3 or 4 D in the NHL on opening night.

Did I miss anyone?

That's a start, I'll take it. With Hronek and most probably Hajek we've got 2 top 4 NHL defenders that will contribute to Czech hockey for a long time, as both of them are still very young. Add in Simek, Kempny, Gudas and Masin (not sure about Zboril's future at all, I think Masin is slightly closer at cracking NHL full time) and we've got a decent (for recent Czech standards) NHL top 6 defense.

Watching both Hronek and Hajek develop into NHL defenders is balm for the Czech hockey soul. Still a long way to go to, but it looks so much better than 5 years ago.

Reactions: Goodman68

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
This is from our pub after final whistle (with sweden). It was 1st match so we were still warming up :thumbu: And it's only smaller lounge, but with canvas (main part of the pub is much much bigger) :laugh: today we are gonna destroy it there with my friends if Voras and his boys will beat Canada :laugh:

Reactions: Czechboy

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Did I miss anyone?
Pyrochta went to Nashville as an average Extraliga player, he got hype for the good playoff run, but he never showed he can sustain that level of play. Similiar to Moravcik, who also left after just one good season. Compare that to Simek, who could have gone the same route, but he chose to stay in the Czech Republic for one more year, proved he truly is an elite Extraliga/Europe defenseman and only then signed with an NHL team (I know he still had to spend a year in the AHL, but that was more of San Jose having good depth than him not being good enough for the NHL. Same story as Francouz actually.)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Pyrochta went to Nashville as an average Extraliga player, he got hype for the good playoff run, but he never showed he can sustain that level of play. Similiar to Moravcik, who also left after just one good season. Compare that to Simek, who could have gone the same route, but he chose to stay in the Czech Republic for one more year, proved he truly is an elite Extraliga/Europe defenseman and only then signed with an NHL team (I know he still had to spend a year in the AHL, but that was more of San Jose having good depth than him not being good enough for the NHL. Same story as Francouz actually.)
Simek was my favourite of the group... they love him in SJ. That injury was so unfortunate! He had such good momentum going.

I still laugh at my Oiler's now giving Koskinen about 16 million in money over 2 contracts and guaranteeing him 4 NHL years while the younger and, at least equal, Francouz got the AHL for 650K and now, hopefully, gets his 30 NHL games as a backup. He really bet on himself.

We might have 2 guaranteed starters and a backup next season. No idea wher Neuvirth ends up though.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I don't if it has been mentioned but Vrána didn't play on any of the lines in today's training so it sounds like he won't play against Canada as well.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I don't if it has been mentioned but Vrána didn't play on any of the lines in today's training so it sounds like he won't play against Canada as well.
Yeah, but according to Darina Vymetalikova's twitter account there will be change in the lineup. So let's hope he'll be there.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, it's game day. Finns are within 1 period of upsetting Russia already so anything can happen. Imagine Finn/Czech for gold and Russia/Canada for bronze?lol

We're definitely not the favourtites here but this team is 7-1 and has looked good in every game. In fact, we've scored 5 goals (or more) in every game but Russia. We've come back from being down 2-0 as well.

Keys to victory:

We've consistently had even first periods and then slowly took over in 2nd and 3rd periods, this trend needs to continue. Patience.

Our PK needs to be amazing.

Our PP needs to get one. It has looked awful but maybe today is the day?

I think we're better when are chippy players are mixing it up. The Germans took all emotion out of the game and it took awhile to get going. I think we need our pests to get under Canadians skin. It's a weird strategy but all that pushing and such seems to motivate our guys... I'm looking at Kovar, Jaskin, Moravcik, Zohorna's, Musil here.

Hope Canada underestimates our offence which, in this tourney, is A: very good and B: very balanced

Despite, to me, questionable lineups we keep winning and are in the semi's. I'd obviously prefer to see Chytil in bottom 6, Vrana in Top 6 and Gulas as 13th forward with Hynek out. In fairness, both Zohorna's were very good against German's but I do worry about our Euro's against an all NHL team as Canada is more skilled, bigger and faster. Gulas couldn't keep up with Germany or Swiss. How's that going to look today?

I wanted us to linematch Drai (I do wonder if Czechs even have a word for linematch.lol) but, against Canada I think we need to role a Top 9 consistently with 4th line spot duty. If we focus too much on shutting down Stone, then another Canadian scorer like Mantha will score.

Lots of point shots... hope for bounces and deflections!

Needs to be said... Musil takes a lot of flack for being an awful skater but he's also got a very high hockey IQ.. I haven't seen him out of position once!

Bartosak needs to be 2 or less. In a way, he's trying to play his way back to North America and said in an interview that he does have outclauses if an offer comes his way.

Hronek, Voracek and Gudas need to not give an inch!

My brain says Canada wins 4-1.
My heart says Czechs win 3-2 with a Zohorna game winner.

This is the exact same semi final setup as Nagano!

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I hope so, I had really bad feeling towards a game when I saw he is not there.

It's funny because if we wasn't there... let's say he didn't come over. He does not have a contract and had a small injury. No one would've blamed him. Anyways, let's say he didn't come.

People on this board would be pointing out how much we could use a pure goal scorer like him in a game like this.lol

My gold medal was winning the quarters.. I'm just so happy to have 2 Czech games this weekend!

I'll be switching from Plsner to Kozel today... so if we lose, that is why.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I'll be switching from Plsner to Kozel today... so if we lose, that is why.

I'm going to score 5 Gambrinus atleast today :laugh: and Kozel is fine. I like him as cheaper bottle bear. I never had him as "toceny" beer (I don't know how to say "toceny" in english) :laugh::thumbu:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm going to score 5 Gambrinus atleast today :laugh: and Kozel is fine. I like him as cheaper bottle bear. I never had him as "toceny" beer (I don't know how to say "toceny" in english) :laugh::thumbu:

Dont have your glorious beer selection here... my choices are cans of Czechvar, Kozel, Plsner urquell or bottles of Czechvar dark and brouczech! I do have all the right glasses though and Czech coasters with Nagano on them...

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Dont have your glorious beer selection here... my choices are cans of Czechvar, Kozel, Plsner urquell or bottles of Czechvar dark and brouczech! I do have all the right glasses though and Czech coasters with Nagano on them...
That's cool. You are true czech patriot :thumbu:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
We will play for bronze against Russia. It's meant to be, so many 2011 parallels this season already.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I have always admired Fischer for not killing Smyth there...

A few days ago in this thread, I was told nobody can hold Russia's beer this tournament - to which @Czechboy correctly replied "Remember 2010?" - you were so right about it, man, and I am very, very happy.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Do you guys remember this? :laugh:
That was brutal :laugh:

I saw it a few years ago... there was a full youtube clip of dirty things that Canadians did when losing to Czechs.. usually in front of our goalie or to our goalie. Remember Perry bowling over Vokoun? When Canada is losing, it tends to get very dirty. However, I'm reading a lot in the gamethread about how we better not throw any coins on the ice or boo the anthem.lmao

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
We will play for bronze against Russia. It's meant to be, so many 2011 parallels this season already.

Are you talking about hockey parallels in years 2011 and 2019?

2011:
Extraliga: winner Trinec
SVK liga: HC Kosice finished golden hattrick
SVK U18 relegated
IIHF WCH on Slovakia
IIHF WCH winner Finland
SC winner Boston Bruins

2019:
SVK liga: HC B. Bystrica finished golden hattrick
SVK U18 relegated
IIHF WCH on Slovakia
IIHF WCH winner ??? (maybe Finland?)
SC winner ??? (maybe Boston Bruins?) :thumbu:

Reactions: Wooren and kudymen

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Are you talking about hockey parallels in years 2011 and 2019?

2011:
SVK liga: HC Kosice finished golden hattrick
SVK U18 relegated
IIHF WCH on Slovakia
IIHF WCH winner Finland
SC winner Boston Bruins

2019:
SVK liga: HC B. Bystrica finished golden hattrick
SVK U18 relegated
IIHF WCH on Slovakia
IIHF WCH winner ??? (maybe Finland?)
SC winner ??? (maybe Boston Bruins?) :thumbu:
Yes, and I sure wouldn't be against it ending exactly the same as in 2011. Boston winning the Cup is the dream, Czech national team snagging some medal would be nice bonus.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I saw it a few years ago... there was a full youtube clip of dirty things that Canadians did when losing to Czechs.. usually in front of our goalie or to our goalie. Remember Perry bowling over Vokoun? When Canada is losing, it tends to get very dirty. However, I'm reading a lot in the gamethread about how we better not throw any coins on the ice or boo the anthem.lmao
Remember Hamrlik on Fleury in front of the net at salt lake? pure dirt bag stuff, czechs have been guilty of playing dirty before, they don't take losing well at all either.
Take off the blinders and just watch the games.

All this stuff is a long time ago now anyway, as a fan you need to move on.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Not sure how I feel about Bartosak. Hope he will have good game.

I think he will... even if not. He did earn the start. I have no complaints on this one despite being very anti Bartosak at start of tourney. Not because I dislike Bartosak, I just think Francouz is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad