WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Canada tournament after tournament has the worst goaltending of all the countires including team like lativa, noway, denmark, you name it. Both for tournies like this and the world juniors.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'll tell you one thing and it is something I have noticed for a few years here but especially this yeaI.

I was hot on every gdt in the elimination games here and when any team lost I saw absolutely NO rubbing it in of those teams losing from Canadian fans, none at all.

But when the time came for Canada to go down the favour sure as hell wasn't returned, fans from 2 countries in particular were real busy pouring the salt on.

That says a lot......................and Canadian fans here should remember that.

What little pricks, don't forget that folks.

It's second nature for some. Can't stand trash talk and "rubbing it in".
But in the end it's due to those fans own insecurities, don't take it too serious and let them thrive in their glee over something they have, had and never will have no hand in.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Flaws were pretty obvious with this roster. Lack of play making ability on the blue line and just about tournament-worst goaltending. Big ice already puts Canada at a disadvantage at these tournaments, it's only exacerbated when your D can't make a clean pass; big ice already makes the game slower, so your forwards are even easier to defend against if they're not getting passes in stride.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Maybe. But yours goalie not good.
That goes without saying But I am through complaining about the goaltending because he did the best he could and he came to play when so many guys wouldn't and he deserves respect for that.

I've been hard on him quite a bit and It is because I want us to win so badly, but I have to apoligize to the guy because he at least showed up and WANTED to be here, so many other guys didn't, for that alone the slagging on him should stop, both by me and others.

This year is over, we come back and get em next year and boy am I going to remember how some countries fans acted, bank on it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's second nature for some. Can't stand trash talk and "rubbing it in".
But in the end it's due to those fans own insecurities, don't take it too serious and let them thrive in their glee over something they have, had and never will have no hand in.
Point taken and it will be kept it mind by me, but I am still not going to forget.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I have seen a lot of blame on the goaltending and rightfully so to an extent but Peters had an absolutely terrible tournament and probably deserves more of the blame.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have seen a lot of blame on the goaltending and rightfully so to an extent but Peters had an absolutely terrible tournament and probably deserves more of the blame.

Yeah, I think so.

If the team looked hungrier and more dangerous over the course of the tourney (not just in the Swiss game) it would be that much easier to pin it all on the goaltending.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Canada tournament after tournament has the worst goaltending of all the countires including team like lativa, noway, denmark, you name it. Both for tournies like this and the world juniors.
Carter Hart is the best U-20 goaltender in the league. He was the best in the 2018 WJC. Goaltending has definitely improved since the dreadful 2010-2015 times at the WJC.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
coaching and goaltending looked to be the major problems from the outside looking in.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Can't see McDavid joining before goaltenders are accnounced again.
Hopefully we won't have the chance too with the Oil

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Can't see McDavid joining before goaltenders are accnounced again.
Hopefully we won't have the chance too with the Oil
Nope. Canada forwads line and D - line play not good. Even with M.Jones or Dubnyk your team probably lose this tournament

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There isn't much point in blaming the goaltenders. Yes, Kuemper was consistently terrible and McElhinney was embarrassing against Finland. When the skaters can barely score two against Switzerland, and didn't deserve any more than that, it isn't just the goaltending. The team just never really came together in a cohesive way. There are a few issues that were clear from the start. It was noted how it was strange that Canada took a bunch of big, purely NHL-style defencemen for an international tournament on the big ice in 2018. That's just bad roster construction. The forward group wasn't bad but it ended up underperforming relative to its talent level. The young guys performed well, which was good, but the team lacked finishers and ended up playing a lot of players on their off wing as there was no other choice. I don't really know why the forwards struggled so much, but there was a lack of drive to the net.

I take a positive view on this tournament overall. Yes the team lost an elimination game despite a large talent edge, and I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see McDavid against Sweden, but ultimately it's still just the IIHF world championship. If Canada wins that's fine, and if Canada loses that's pretty much fine too. It still helps prepare for (hopefully) best on best tournaments in the future and for development purposes this tournament was not a waste. It was interesting to see McDavid in a leadership role. He performed well for the most part and was leaned upon heavily, but he can also take some lessons from the elimination game. Dubois and Jost really impressed. Parayko looked great for the second year in a row and looks like a potential best on best candidate down the road. A few players disappointed (Schwartz, Vlasic especially as more established players) but it's hard to tell what went wrong. I wouldn't say that Peters did a good job, but he did a great job two years ago so I find it hard to believe that he suddenly lost it over two years. Some teams just don't come together well. The team had a few flubbed picks, no good goaltending options and never really played to its potential. Some good young players got some international reps though and this can be used as a learning experience going forward. I'll take it.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Can't really analyze player performance as I gave up watching after 4 games...but based on a 4th place finish there are very few players I'd like to see get another crack at it next year if available, maybe about 3 or 4 of the 19 year olds. (PLD/Barzal/Jost).

after those 3, I'm hoping it's a long list of fresh faces and players who haven't played in this tournament at all or have had Hockey Canada's phone# blocked the past 5 years or so. It's time for them to step up.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
McDavid,Pareyko,Barzal and PLD play good. (and he deserve invite in next year) RNH,Ekblad,Eberle.Bailey, Murray play very lousy. Edmundson Nurse have afwul
performance.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
McDavid,Pareyko,Barzal and PLD play good. (and he deserve invite in next year) RNH,Ekblad,Eberle.Bailey, Murray play very lousy. Edmundson Nurse have afwul
performance.

McDavid has played this tourney twice in 3 years, Parayko in 2 consecutive years. I'd rather see both players leading their teams on long playoff runs. Hockey Canada shouldn't rely on the same list of players every year. others have to step up. And besides, just my guess...but I'm thinking McDavid has a wedding next summer to plan.

so, as I mentioned, other than Barzal/PLD/Jost and Horvat, I'd rather not see any of this year's team return next year.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
It's a strange transformation Canadian players go through. From representing your country at the JWHC being the highest honour imaginable to just not caring at all about the WHC. The JWHC is an amateur tournament played by teenagers and was deliberately and well hyped by TSN mainly in Canada. Earlier no one really cared apart from scouts - these days the European countries have followed suit and it's important in Europe as well.

I'd have thought that putting on the maple leaf jersey would continue being an honour even if you're a pro but obviously it's not.

Reactions: Faterson

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
McDavid has played this tourney twice in 3 years, Parayko in 2 consecutive years. I'd rather see both players leading their teams on long playoff runs. Hockey Canada shouldn't rely on the same list of players every year. others have to step up. And besides, just my guess...but I'm thinking McDavid has a wedding next summer to plan.

so, as I mentioned, other than Barzal/PLD/Jost and Horvat, I'd rather not see any of this year's team return next year.
Agree. Huberdeau,Hamilton,Monahan,Nolan Patick,Neal,Marchessault,Mantha,Reilly Smith,Scheifele must get invite .

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why the hell didnt Chabot play????I get the kid is young,but the skating and the skill were made for that larger ice game.....Kid was good enough for almost 30 points in 60 nhl games as a rookie but not good enough for this tourney??

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Why the hell didnt Chabot play????I get the kid is young,but the skating and the skill were made for that larger ice game.....Kid was good enough for almost 30 points in 60 nhl games as a rookie but not good enough for this tourney??
I dont know. Nurse and Edmundson play very bad

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The team was good enough on paper to win.

So I don't really care about who wasn't there.

They didn't execute very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad