WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’m just wondering how Vlasic has looked in this tournament. I only saw the one game against Finland and he looked very poor in that game. How has he looked otherwise?

He's been much better since that game where he was awful.

Did well this game against Russia, back to more of his "shut down" self.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Have hardly even noticed Bailey and Pulock so far in the tournament.

Agreed on Beau, I thought he had been one of our better forwards out there, can't understand why they scratched him.

Barzal seems to have lots of pep, doesn't seem tired at all. He is coming off to fans as trying to do too much and a puck hog because the guys he is playing with never seem to ever be open so he can dish them the puck so he is hanging onto the puck more then he wants to, the kid is playing the same way he always does in the N.H.L.......................there just isn't anyone there to work with him to make something off his work.

They have got to find a guy that can play with him and get in positions to make his work pay off, we have not found the guy yet. The minute it happens if it does happen...................goals will start to go in with Barzal on the ice.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Maybe Pulock has been under utilized or misutilized?

Bailey should be golfing.

Barzal was a possession monster w us. He tends to do that circle the zone lap thing too much or overhandles. Eberle and Beau were money w him, they played off of him well; they were the shooters on his line obviously. But there are too many situations were he stickhandles himself into trouble.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Thanks for the detailed response.

Maybe Pulock has been under utilized or misutilized?

Bailey should be golfing.

Barzal was a possession monster w us. He tends to do that circle the zone lap thing too much or overhandles. Eberle and Beau were money w him, they played off of him well; they were the shooters on his line obviously. But there are too many situations were he stickhandles himself into trouble.

Most welcome.

Pulock just hasn't gotten a lot of ice time. You're right about barzal, he is doing that circle the zone thing...........there is just no one open, ever. he is holding onto the puck far more then he wants to, I wish we could find the right guy to compliment him and make plays off those pretty feeds we all know he can make. People have been saying the difference between him and mcd is I.Q, Barzal has a great i.q, of course his I.Q is not mcdavid level, whose is? but I watched him enough in the N.H.L this year to know Barzals I.Q is just fine, there just isn't anyone to pass to yet, they are never open or in any kind of favourable position for him. I so wish we could get a guy who knows how to work with him, a lot of our secondary scoring problems could be fixed right there.

And yeah....................Bailey ain't adding much to this team, more like nothing so far.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Most welcome.

Pulock just hasn't gotten a lot of ice time. You're right about barzal, he is doing that circle the zone thing...........there is just no one open, ever. he is holding onto the puck far more then he wants to, I wish we could find the right guy to compliment him and make plays off those pretty feeds we all know he can make. People have been saying the difference between him and mcd is I.Q, Barzal has a great i.q, of course his I.Q is not mcdavid level, whose is? but I watched him enough in the N.H.L this year to know Barzals I.Q is just fine, there just isn't anyone to pass to yet, they are never open or in any kind of favourable position for him. I so wish we could get a guy who knows how to work with him, a lot of our secondary scoring problems could be fixed right there.

And yeah....................Bailey ain't adding much to this team, more like nothing so far.

He’s gotta cut down the circling habit though; it’s predictable and I suspect he’s doing it more on the bigger ice.

I’d try Eberle and Beau w him; the line was our most dominant and reliable line all season. He needs a shooter that can play off of his creativity and keep up w him. Maybe Dubois?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He’s gotta cut down the circling habit though; it’s predictable and I suspect he’s doing it more on the bigger ice.

I’d try Eberle and Beau w him; the line was our most dominant and reliable line all season. He needs a shooter that can play off of his creativity and keep up w him. Maybe Dubois?
I'm inclined to go with sticking him back with Beau and ebs like you said.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
So is Jaden Schwartz done for the tournament? watching the replay of the game and he left the game in the third.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Who is he playing with now?
That's a good question, I am trying to remember who they did have him with today, I was so into just what team canada was doing I wasn't even paying attention at all to the lines,lol

It was all about beating the Russians for me today,not lines,lol

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
That's a good question, I am trying to remember who they did have him with today, I was so into just what team canada was doing I wasn't even paying attention at all to the lines,lol

It was all about beating the Russians for me today,not lines,lol

Anyway, thanks for the info. Casually rooting for Team Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Anyway, thanks for the info. Casually rooting for Team Canada.
No problem man, but now you've got me scratching my beard here thinking................Goddamit, who was he playing with today anyway? lol

Now I have to know,lol

Ah, when Team Canada is playing, especially against Russia of all teams...........................it's all about just what is happening on the ice with the plays for me, I block the whole world out aside from that,lol

Oh, and thanks for the casual support of the team, we can use all the backing we can get, we are in the semis but the team itself has issues, the Swiss will be tough.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I would imagine that the WCs mean a little more given that they aren’t sending NHLers to the Olympics.

Team USA obviously comes first, but Canada isn’t too far behind.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I would imagine that the WCs mean a little more given that they aren’t sending NHLers to the Olympics.

Team USA obviously comes first, but Canada isn’t too far behind.
Team U.S.A stands about the best chance they have ever had to take gold at this thing, I could see them winning it.

All teams have shown themselves to be very vulnerable, they have the firepower to bring back gold, just need a couple of breaks.

It's wide open, no team that has shown themselves to be a cut above whatsoever.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
After some bad luck at this tournament earlier in the decade this team looks to be a bit lucky, though really Switzerland isn't likely to be a pushover for Canada. If Canada wins then I would say that Canada has decent odds against USA or is an underdog against Sweden.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sean Burke made some questionable selections for the Olympic team, and now for this World Championships. He should never be able to be construct the roster of a Canadian team again. Hard to believe that this is the best goalies that could have played for Canada.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
A lot of players didn't accept going.

The roster should've still been good enough to beat the Swiss had they been coached properly.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I saw this coming honestly. This team hasn't generated much offence from the defence at all, and nowadays you HAVE to generate scoring from defenceman. Parayko was great, he has a cannon and he jumps up offensively. Murray, Pulock, and Nurse have nothing to offer offensively, Pulock has a great shot but that is really only useful on the PP, or otherwise he becomes irrelevant. Murray and Nurse are great skaters but they don't use it offensively and not much for a shot or pass. Vlasic didn't generate much, but I give him a pass because I know what he can do on the big ice. Ekblad got a lot of ice time but he didn't push it enough offensively for me, needs to get back to how he used to play. Edmundson has points, but not a good enough skater to have an impact offensively for me. I liked his game though, much better than Nurse, Pulock, Murray and Ekblad.

With more offence from the defence, this team probably scores a lot more goals and gets to the GMG. Chabot should have played more, it's all about skating and skill on the big ice. Size is still useful but if you're pushing skill aside for it, you'll lose which is what happened. We have too many of the same type of players, we don't have any guys who can control the play offensively and push the play on offence.

I like using this tournament so I can know what players look like if they are in consideration for a Men's tournament whether it's Olympic, World Cup, or another WHC. I think guys like Parayko and Edmundson really showed they can play with high-end guys like McDavid and Barzal. Not top-pairing guys, but I can see them being solid 4-5 defenceman for Canada at an Olympic level.

Compared to 2016, same coach, probably worse forwards on 2018, but not that far off, the defence though is totally opposite. Big, defensive defenceman vs quick, offensive-minded defencemen that can support forwards offensively.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'll tell you one thing and it is something I have noticed for a few years here but especially this yeaI.

I was hot on every gdt in the elimination games here and when any team lost I saw absolutely NO rubbing it in of those teams losing from Canadian fans, none at all.

But when the time came for Canada to go down the favour sure as hell wasn't returned, fans from 2 countries in particular were real busy pouring the salt on.

That says a lot......................and Canadian fans here should remember that.

What little pricks, don't forget that folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad