WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Kuemper allows a weak goal through the body to allow the Russians to even the score.

This third will be entertaining. Canada needs to make sure Edmunsson stays out of the box. The McDavid line will need to come up big. calling it now: Barzal gets the game-winner.

Barzal would have to be on the ice to score. Is it only me or he's lost a lot of ice time? Is there actually a site that has all the stats from this tournament?

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I arrived home during Canada's final powerplay, so I guess I missed the bad and only saw the good. Nice to see McDavid play well in the biggest moment. Also nice to see O'Reilly step up, as expected.

I'll probably watch the replay later. Curious to see if the goals were the result of defensive errors or goaltending errors.

Canada made plenty of defensive errors but the goals against were a result of poor goaltending.

Can Marty Brodeur come down from the press box and play nets for the semis? He can't be any worse than Darcy Kuemper right now.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Barzal is talented but his defensive game is brutal. He was out there for a play in OT and I was scared to death and of course he turns it over. He can skate like the wind. Great stick handler. Very talented. But over handles the puck and needs to cut down on the turnovers and improve his defense. I can see why the coaches have cut his minutes as this tournament has progressed.

McDavid (obviously) and Nuge have been great. I've liked RoR. Vlasic has been good. A couple others also. Been disappointed with Ekblad. Ekblad has good offensive instincts but his defensive acumen is lacking (which is shocking considering he was a stud defensively in junior). Haven't been enthused with Edmundson either. The defense in general (outside of Vlasic) I've been disappointed in. The goaltending - well their isn't much to say.

What has happened to Eberle?

Reactions: Retroglyphs

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
...Been disappointed with Ekblad. Ekblad has good offensive instincts but his defensive acumen is lacking (which is shocking considering he was a stud defensively in junior). Haven't been enthused with Edmundson either. The defense in general (outside of Vlasic) I've been disappointed in. The goaltending - well their isn't much to say.

Same re: Ekblad. He hasn't been bad per se, but he hasn't been impressive either. The coaches clearly love him but he's had trouble handling the puck and has looked slow at times. And for a guy who led the league in goals scored by a d man he seems to have a lot of trouble getting the puck through traffic and on net.

And yeah, Eberle has been a little quiet lately. Did Josh Bailey even play today? I didn't notice him at all.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Barzal is talented but his defensive game is brutal. He was out there for a play in OT and I was scared to death and of course he turns it over. He can skate like the wind. Great stick handler. Very talented. But over handles the puck and needs to cut down on the turnovers and improve his defense. I can see why the coaches have cut his minutes as this tournament has progressed.
From what I've seen the Biggest thing separating Barzal and McDavid is the hockey IQ. Their puck skills and skating are close, but McDavid does the right thing with the puck far more often than Barzal does. That's why he's so much better.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I love Barzal but lately he has been flying into the zone all flashy then either coughs up the puck or does nothing with it. He needs to calm down.

Tbh, he's been doing exactly that all the season. Just with better results. And I agree, he needs to calm down and be smarter on the ice. He has to learn that sometimes the best play is the simple play, not the flashy one.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
From what I've seen the Biggest thing separating Barzal and McDavid is the hockey IQ. Their puck skills and skating are close, but McDavid does the right thing with the puck far more often than Barzal does. That's why he's so much better.

Barzal needs a good coach. And I'm worried he won't get one, being on the Islanders. His first season in the NHL and he got Doug Weight, who killed the Isles defensively with his "systems" and let all of the forwards run wild on the ice, picking up weird moments to "punish" players for weird things... A good coach would help Barzal develop into a better player. He's not gonna be in the McDavid league, but he has potential to be a damn good player.

And McDavid is better than everyone. It's incredible, he's doing unbelievable things and watching him play is pure entertainment. Hopefully he has a better attitude than Crosby, because oh man, I'd hate disliking him.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
You are insane if you think there puck skills and Skating are even remotely close.
Barzal was routinely losing the puck all tournament and did not show near the skating McDavid did.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Barzal needs a good coach. And I'm worried he won't get one, being on the Islanders. His first season in the NHL and he got Doug Weight, who killed the Isles defensively with his "systems" and let all of the forwards run wild on the ice, picking up weird moments to "punish" players for weird things... A good coach would help Barzal develop into a better player. He's not gonna be in the McDavid league, but he has potential to be a damn good player.

And McDavid is better than everyone. It's incredible, he's doing unbelievable things and watching him play is pure entertainment. Hopefully he has a better attitude than Crosby, because oh man, I'd hate disliking him.
And just what is wrong with Crosbys attitude may I ask?

You couldnt ask for a better attitude from a hockey player.

Reactions: Pouliot

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I take it that the NYI contingent hasn’t really impacted, outside of a modest looking Barzal. One note about him, it’s his first year of professional hockey and he’s logged a lot of mins. He may be wearing down.

Surprised they scratched Beau, he’s scored a few.

Bailey probably shouldn’t be there.

How has Pulock looked defensively?

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
So Ryan Rishaug was on the radio - TSN 1260 about an hour ago. He said him and Dreger had a conversation with Peters off the air and said Peters said his go to players and the ones he trusts the most are:

McDavid (duh), Nuge and Parayko

Peters said Nuge is a whale of a player and said he has total trust when he is out there. Said is trying to find the 3rd winger to complement McD and Nuge but is still searching (has used Bailey, Schwartz, Schenn and others their but hasn’t found the right fit yet). Said he (Nuge) was well deserving of player of the game even though a few others had more points then him.

Sportsnet also has an article that mentions some of this:
Chemistry with McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins at worlds could benefit Oilers - Sportsnet.ca

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
BelovedIsles the NYI contingent haven’t really stood out so far. I haven’t noticed Pulock. The others have been a little under whelming to be honest.

Barzal’s been the most flashy but not very effective. Very skilled but a bit of a puck hog and turnover prone. D game lacking. But he’s also had a few moments of brilliance as well

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I take it that the NYI contingent hasn’t really impacted, outside of a modest looking Barzal. One note about him, it’s his first year of professional hockey and he’s logged a lot of mins. He may be wearing down.

Surprised they scratched Beau, he’s scored a few.

Bailey probably shouldn’t be there.

How has Pulock looked defensively?
Have hardly even noticed Bailey and Pulock so far in the tournament.

Agreed on Beau, I thought he had been one of our better forwards out there, can't understand why they scratched him.

Barzal seems to have lots of pep, doesn't seem tired at all. He is coming off to fans as trying to do too much and a puck hog because the guys he is playing with never seem to ever be open so he can dish them the puck so he is hanging onto the puck more then he wants to, the kid is playing the same way he always does in the N.H.L.......................there just isn't anyone there to work with him to make something off his work.

They have got to find a guy that can play with him and get in positions to make his work pay off, we have not found the guy yet. The minute it happens if it does happen...................goals will start to go in with Barzal on the ice.

Last edited:

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Weird. Canada picked up Turris once the Preds were eliminated. And Josi , Forsberg and Fiala were also Nashville players that went to play in the WC. But the basement nerds' favourite Dman, who they think is not only the Preds best D (just ignore all the evidence that proves he isn't), but the best D in the world (again, ignore all the facts that prove he isn't), didn't get the invite from Hockey Canada.

I tell ya, you got feel utterly stupid if you were someone who not only thought Subban was a Norris Trophy caliber player, but actually voted for him for the award, after watching him the last month. I mean, you would have already known than had you ever watched him play, but I know you nerds and media losers don't actually watch the games in the regular season.

BTW, how the heck does Pat Kane have 19 points, but is only a +1?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’m just wondering how Vlasic has looked in this tournament. I only saw the one game against Finland and he looked very poor in that game. How has he looked otherwise?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Eberle has been fine. He's one of the smartest forwards on the team in terms of positioning, which has opened things up in the games that I've seen.

Thanks for the updates guys. I haven't been able to catch much of this tourney.
How has Jost looked the last couple games?

Jost has been the most pleasant surprise for me. Smart player and one of the most aggressive Canadians in terms of taking the puck to the net or just letting it rip sometimes. Seeing highlights of the fourth Canadian goal today, he and Dubois really impressed with their strength. Those guys would have looked great at the WJC.

Reactions: Beyonder91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->