WC: Team Canada Roster Helsinki-Tampere 2022

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
by the way, I looked at possible LHD again this morning and it still doesn't look good for Chychrun. especially if it looks as though Vegas could make an early exit. in that case there won't be enough tequila to make me write in Chychrun's name. but we'll see this weekend.
Just keep trying, I have every confidence you will find a way.

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
I think fleury will try get to triple gold club, also he has not even a single game played in national team

Fleury would be good. He did have the disaster at the U-20s that is always painful to watch. No surprise but the Leafs look like (another) early exit.
Morgan Reilly maybe?

Reactions: jaro

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's another year of Canadian NHL players dodging this event, especially with the war in Ukraine. Maybe I'm wrong?

I'm from Finland and I'm feeling that Canada will send a monster team. Pretty much all the best available Canadian players who aren't injured and who aren't in the playoffs. McDavid and so on if he isn't in the playoffs. Perhaps some 35+ year old super stars would decline the invitation though.

Reasons for Canada sending a strong team:
-WHC in NA sized rink. No more Euro rink.
-Canada reminding people that they are the best despite of not being #1 on IIHF ranking.
-No NHL players present in the Olympics. Players want to represent their national team.
-Canadians know that Finland is a good tournament host and will create a well organized tournament and we will finally see full and sold out crowds for national team games as well for the first time since Covid pandemic started.
-World Cup might come in 2024 and it's already time to see how some players look under tournament circumstances.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm from Finland and I'm feeling that Canada will send a monster team. Pretty much all the best available Canadian players who aren't injured and who aren't in the playoffs. McDavid and so on if he isn't in the playoffs. Perhaps some 35+ year old super stars would decline the invitation though.

-Canada reminding people that they are the best despite of not being #1 on IIHF ranking.
-No NHL players present in the Olympics. Players want to represent their national team.
-Canadians know that Finland is a good tournament host and will create a well organized tournament and we will finally see full and sold out crowds for national team games as well for the first time since Covid pandemic started.
-World Cup might come in 2024 and it's already time to see how some players look under tournament circumstances.
I initially had high hopes for this but now fear the war is going to deep six that.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I initially had high hopes for this but now fear the war is going to deep six that.

Why would it matter for Canadians going to Finland though? Entire Europe isn't in that war (yet). If it escalates, I think that will happen later. 6+ months or more until it escalates, if it escalates.

If you mean that Russia's absence makes the competition weaker, hence taking something away from the tournament's credibility, that part is true.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Why would it matter for Canadians going to Finland though? Entire Europe isn't in that war (yet). If it escalates, I think that will happen later. 6+ months or more until it escalates, if it escalates.

If you mean that Russia's absence makes the competition weaker, hence taking something away from the tournament's credibility, that part is true.
I just think it gives the players more of an excuse not to go (as if they needed it I know) and even though the war isn't in Finland it's still close by, or at east it's close enough to rather dim witted hockey players who tend not to have exceptional knowledge on geographic or cultural matters outside their sphere of life..........which from my experience is very limited.

I suspect they just see "war in Europe" and get spooked. I could be wrong though.

My apologies to any pro hockey players from North America I may have offended here, I am sure not every one of you have their whole life revolving around the game, training for the game, eating out in classy restaurants, navigating airports, bars. enjoying the company of hot babes and mowing the bad guys down in halo 4 in their private time.

Theres got to be one or 2 who might have read Tolstoy I suppose.

Reactions: Mestaruus

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I really doubt that the players care, or are even aware, about the first two. I'm not sure that Finland is a selling point either, though it wouldn't be a negative. Helsinki is at least a well known city. The fourth point might have some truth to it, though who knows what cache a World Cup tournament that no one can guarantee taking place has. I would definitely lean toward players skipping out in massive numbers with two easy excuses more than I would toward Canada sending a massive team. There are definitely some young players I want to see internationally for Canada though, so I do hope for a loaded young team.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I really doubt that the players care, or are even aware, about the first two. I'm not sure that Finland is a selling point either, though it wouldn't be a negative. Helsinki is at least a well known city. The fourth point might have some truth to it, though who knows what cache a World Cup tournament that no one can guarantee taking place has. I would definitely lean toward players skipping out in massive numbers with two easy excuses more than I would toward Canada sending a massive team. There are definitely some young players I want to see internationally for Canada though, so I do hope for a loaded young team.

I'm more optimistic about it. We'll see what happens. Hopefully it's at least a team full of NHL guys though. Shouldn't be a problem for Canada with the amount of NHL players.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
update time. Not much changed from the previous roster. couple of notable exceptions. I finally did it. included notorious GQ poster boy Tom Wilson. as much as I dislike that player and don't have much use for him on any Team Canada at any tournament anywhere, the tequila shots for Chychrun got to me. The good news, chances are infinitely higher you will see Tom Wilson at a Blue Jay's game in May then a hockey game in Europe. Since Chychrun is in, Owen Power can take a seat and rest up for the re-scheduled WJC in August. Theodore can sub in for Rielly. too many Leafs already on the roster.

Z HYMAN​
C MCDAVID​
T WILSON​
M BUNTING​
M BARZAL​
M MARNER​
A KERFOOT​
N SUZUKI
C BROWN​
B HAGEL​
B JENNER​
T KONECNY​

D MERCER D COZENS​

S THEODORE​
D SEVERSON​
A PELECH​
D HAMILTON​
J CHYCHRUN
A CARRIER​
T CHABOT​
J DRYSDALE

A HILL​
C HART​
D LEVI​

Reactions: jj cale and jaro

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
update time. Not much changed from the previous roster. couple of notable exceptions. I finally did it. included notorious GQ poster boy Tom Wilson. as much as I dislike that player and don't have much use for him on any Team Canada at any tournament anywhere, the tequila shots for Chychrun got to me. The good news, chances are infinitely higher you will see Tom Wilson at a Blue Jay's game in May then a hockey game in Europe. Since Chychrun is in, Owen Power can take a seat and rest up for the re-scheduled WJC in August. Theodore can sub in for Rielly. too many Leafs already on the roster.

Z HYMAN​
C MCDAVID​
T WILSON​
M BUNTING​
M BARZAL​
M MARNER​
A KERFOOT​
N SUZUKI
C BROWN​
B HAGEL​
B JENNER​
T KONECNY​

D MERCER D COZENS​

S THEODORE​
D SEVERSON​
A PELECH​
D HAMILTON​
J CHYCHRUN
A CARRIER​
T CHABOT​
J DRYSDALE

A HILL​
C HART​
D LEVI​
Chychrun makes the cut...........nice!!

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I like the passion of the Finnish fans, but I still think that top available Canadian NHL talent will pass on this years WC.
I hope that I'm wrong.

If there even is a tournament...there's a chance it all gets scuttled. but, if there is a tournament held, I imagine you are probably right. It will be a rag-tag list of no-names assembled last minute that make the trek to Europe in May.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As an Oil fan I almost spit out my coffee reading this.

I couldn't get over the irony that Hyman signed for big money to go to Edmonton to be on Connor's wing and might end up on his wing at the World's instead of the playoffs.lol

The Oilers are 9-5-1 under Jay Woodcraft and in a playoff spot today, my guess is that they make the playoffs.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot is done for the year. Disappointing, I'd hoped he would have a very prominent role on this team. Looking at defencemen on teams that look finished, I'd really like to see Dobson and Pelech get some international reps in. Dobson may be a contract issue as an RFA, but no such issue with Pelech.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Chabot is done for the year. Disappointing, I'd hoped he would have a very prominent role on this team. Looking at defencemen on teams that look finished, I'd really like to see Dobson and Pelech get some international reps in. Dobson may be a contract issue as an RFA, but no such issue with Pelech.

Well that is disappointing. The Sens are really pissing me off now. first we lose the Drake. (was really looking forward to him at the WHC) now Chabot. That just sucks. as for Dobson, he is a RFA, which means 99.9999% chance he's a no to any invite. If not for his contractual status he would have been included. Not impressed with any of the NYI contingent this year, except for Pelech, but that doesn't mean much for this tournament.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well that is disappointing. The Sens are really pissing me off now. first we lose the Drake. (was really looking forward to him at the WHC) now Chabot. That just sucks. as for Dobson, he is a RFA, which means 99.9999% chance he's a no to any invite. If not for his contractual status he would have been included. Not impressed with any of the NYI contingent this year, except for Pelech, but that doesn't mean much for this tournament.
I'd consider Pelech a big get. Regardless of the Islanders' problems he's still one of the very best defensive defencemen in the NHL. I'd happily take Barzal too, young guy with lots of talent on a team that got wrecked early on. Barzal could be useful in the future. Dobson is certainly a longshot, particularly with Lamoriello as the GM and unlikely to sign him particularly early.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Is Levi the only junior we think is going?

Any others?

Is Levi even considered a junior player? He's a 20 year old college player. potato patoto I suppose. Normally I would include the presumptive 1OA draft pick to get in some reps with NHLer leading up to the draft, but I don't see a spot for Wright on this year's Team Canada. I'd prefer he'd just do his draft thing and then play the August WJC in advance of his first pro camp in Sept. And he really should be playing junior next year as well.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
With Hagel being moved to TB and Chabot on LTIR I decided to update a potential roster with more realistic version of what we might see. i.e. no A-list players. keep the NYI players away from Lafreniere.

A BEAUVILLIER​
M BARZAL​
M BUNTING​
J MCCANN​
B HORVAT​
T KONECNY​
A KERFOOT​
N SUZUKI
C BROWN​
A LEFRENIERE​
D COZENS​
D MERCER​

C SILLINGER N RITCHIE​

A PELECH​
R PULOCK​
V DUNN​
A CARRIER​
J MORRISEY​
J DRYSDALE
T SMITH​
D SEVERSON​

C HART​
N DAWS​
D LEVI​

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With Hagel being moved to TB and Chabot on LTIR I decided to update a potential roster with more realistic version of what we might see. i.e. no A-list players. keep the NYI players away from Lafreniere.

A BEAUVILLIER​
M BARZAL​
M BUNTING​
J MCCANN​
B HORVAT​
T KONECNY​
A KERFOOT​
N SUZUKI
C BROWN​
A LEFRENIERE​
D COZENS​
D MERCER​

C SILLINGER N RITCHIE​

A PELECH​
R PULOCK​
V DUNN​
A CARRIER​
J MORRISEY​
J DRYSDALE
T SMITH​
D SEVERSON​

C HART​
N DAWS​
D LEVI​

I'd be very happy with that roster.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

A BEAUVILLIER​
M BARZAL​
M BUNTING​
J MCCANN​
B HORVAT​
T KONECNY​
A KERFOOT​
N SUZUKI
C BROWN​
A LEFRENIERE​
D COZENS​
D MERCER​

C SILLINGER N RITCHIE​

A PELECH​
R PULOCK​
V DUNN​
A CARRIER​
J MORRISEY​
J DRYSDALE
T SMITH​
D SEVERSON​

C HART​
N DAWS​
D LEVI​
I really like this roster all around.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Harsh to already put leafs in the lineup but I get it hahaha

It's just a matter of probabilities. A TML-TB opening rd. is a toss up. I'd give a slight advantage to TB, and that only increases if TB has home ice. If TML does manage to get out of the 1st. rd. the probability they get past FL are low to very low. freeing up a few TML secondary players to make the trek to Europe. Players like Marner, Tavares or Rielly will almost always take a pass after playing 8-12 playoff games. Probability is how I approach my Team Canada roster. My NHL team fandom never comes into play. it is not by the way TML.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00