Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Point - McDavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Bergeron - Crosby
Stamkos - Couturier - Stone
Huberdeau - O`Reilly - Couture
ex: Marner, Tom Wilson (beef!), Cirelli, RNH

Extras can all kill penalties and bring different skill sets in the event of injuries.

Makar - Weber
Ekblad - Pietrangelo
Ellis - Doughty
Morrisey, Muzzin, Theodore - good blend of everything here.

Goalies all suck - bring whoever is hot at the time.
Cmon man this is the most unrealistic lineup i think ive ever seen.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Huberdeau - McDavid - Bergeron
Marchand - Crosby - Mackinnon
ROR - Couturier - Barzal
Marner - Point - Stone
Tavares

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Giordano - Makar
Chabot - Doughty
Ellis

Price
Hart
Fleury

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Huberdeau - McDavid - Bergeron
Marchand - Crosby - Mackinnon
ROR - Couturier - Barzal
Marner - Point - Stone
Tavares

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Giordano - Makar
Chabot - Doughty
Ellis

Price
Hart
Fleury

Nurse would be there over Gio.

Parayko over Ellis as well.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Huberdeau McDavid Marner
Mackinnon Barzal Point
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Scheifele Couturier Stone
Oreilly

Morrisey Makar
Theodore Pietrangelo
Nurse Doughty
Chabot

Blackwood
Hart
Price

why is josh morrisey a) on the team, and b) on the top pair?

yikes. what has barzal done to be the 2C and not 4th line/spare forward?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Point - McDavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Bergeron - Crosby
Stamkos - Couturier - Stone
Huberdeau - O`Reilly - Couture
ex: Marner, Tom Wilson (beef!), Cirelli, RNH

Extras can all kill penalties and bring different skill sets in the event of injuries.

Makar - Weber
Ekblad - Pietrangelo
Ellis - Doughty
Morrisey, Muzzin, Theodore - good blend of everything here.

Goalies all suck - bring whoever is hot at the time.

Mitch marner is 3rd in league scoring, the 2nd highest canadian. He has 30pts and the next highest RW is Stone with 17...
and he doesnt even crack the lineup? lol. he is gonna be top 6 locked

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
All of a sudden I am a little worried about our goaltending.

As of today, I would go with Blackwood as the starter, maybe Fleury as the backup?

Man I am a Leaf fan and even I wouldn't have Rielly anywhere near our top 6.

Hamilton, Ekblad, Parayko and Morrissey are all better players. In terms of Hamilton and Parayko, it isn't really very close.

Rielly is gonna make it. He has the 2nd most points among canadian dmen (and the first is so bad defensively he isnt gonna be considered)
kinda having a weird year but Canada is super weak on the left side.

Parayko isnt having a good year btw and probably isnt enough offensively. Josh Morrisey isnt gonna be on the team either. 3 of the 4 you listed are also right handed so kinda irrelevant

Theo-Pietro
Rielly-Makar
Chabot - Hamilton
Nurse-Ekblad

solid

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Rielly is gonna make it. He has the 2nd most points among canadian dmen (and the first is so bad defensively he isnt gonna be considered)
kinda having a weird year but Canada is super weak on the left side.

Parayko isnt having a good year btw and probably isnt enough offensively. Josh Morrisey isnt gonna be on the team either. 3 of the 4 you listed are also right handed so kinda irrelevant

Theo-Pietro
Rielly-Makar
Chabot - Hamilton
Nurse-Ekblad

solid
I’ve always maintained that Quinn Hughes is just iOS updated Tyson Barrie lol

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
He
Mitch marner is 3rd in league scoring, the 2nd highest canadian. He has 30pts and the next highest RW is Stone with 17...
and he doesnt even crack the lineup? lol. he is gonna be top 6 locked

He just doesn't fit the team mould that I am going for.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
My team Canada, not full roster

Mack
Crosby
Mcdavid
Ryan O Reiley
Sean Coutier
Stone
Huberdeau
Marner
Braden Point as a winger.
Marchand
Jamie Benn

Defence

Petriangelo
Makar
Ekblad
Doughty

Chabot
Theodore
Rielly

wow....

team Canada defence not as impressive as before, also too many centremans playing the wing.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He

He just doesn't fit the team mould that I am going for.

Wow, really? What is that mold? Because Marner fits and checks off a lot of boxes, I think. He's a winger, a right winger. We could use natural wingers. He is an exceptionally good playmaker. He scores a ton of points. The only knock on him is that he hasn't lived up to it in the playoffs yet, but that could change very soon. There is a slight concern that he hasn't done as well as you would assume when the chips were down, but to tell you the truth that is what we say about Auston Matthews as well. If there is a guy in the top 5 in scoring I am pretty sure he is on the team though.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
My team Canada, not full roster

Mack
Crosby
Mcdavid
Ryan O Reiley
Sean Coutier
Stone
Huberdeau
Marner
Braden Point as a winger.
Marchand
Jamie Benn

Defence

Petriangelo
Makar
Ekblad
Doughty

Chabot
Theodore
Rielly

wow....

team Canada defence not as impressive as before, also too many centremans playing the wing.

Team Canada always has predominantly more centers on the roster over wingers. Of the 14 forward spots on a 25 man roster 9-10 will be centers. guarenteed.

I'll take Stamkos to play on the LW over Jamie Benn thank you very much. unless Benn can revert to 2012-16 form.

Last edited:

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, really? What is that mold? Because Marner fits and checks off a lot of boxes, I think. He's a winger, a right winger. We could use natural wingers. He is an exceptionally good playmaker. He scores a ton of points. The only knock on him is that he hasn't lived up to it in the playoffs yet, but that could change very soon. There is a slight concern that he hasn't done as well as you would assume when the chips were down, but to tell you the truth that is what we say about Auston Matthews as well. If there is a guy in the top 5 in scoring I am pretty sure he is on the team though.

He still made the team as an extra. The team I proposed has a plethora of proven winners and vets with size and skill. If Mitch has a good playoff run this year, maybe I change my mind. But I want winners. I'd even toss out Huberdeau, but there aren't a great deal of LW'ers out there...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He still made the team as an extra. The team I proposed has a plethora of proven winners and vets with size and skill. If Mitch has a good playoff run this year, maybe I change my mind. But I want winners. I'd even toss out Huberdeau, but there aren't a great deal of LW'ers out there...

I don't even think I would call Stamkos a "winner" by any means. Or Stone. Or McDavid come to think of it. I think that factors in, but Marner is a guy who you fit on regardless. There are maybe 6-7 forwards that are locks on that team and I think he is one of them.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I don't even think I would call Stamkos a "winner" by any means. Or Stone. Or McDavid come to think of it. I think that factors in, but Marner is a guy who you fit on regardless. There are maybe 6-7 forwards that are locks on that team and I think he is one of them.

Stone and Stamkos both have played a lot longer and accomplished waaay more than Marner has. Of course, this isn't Mitch's fault for being that young. But in a short tourny, I am taking the proven performers first.

And McDavid is McDavid....

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Stone and Stamkos both have played a lot longer and accomplished waaay more than Marner has. Of course, this isn't Mitch's fault for being that young. But in a short tourny, I am taking the proven performers first.

And McDavid is McDavid....

For the record, I think Stamkos at the very least is on the team. But he has never been good in the playoffs. The Bolts won last year when he only played 1 playoff game. He was snake bit in the 2016 World Cup as well. I think he has done enough in his career to make up for it of course, but I am confused with Stone. I am just trying to think of what he has done that Marner hasn't. Or when he was ever better than Marner is right now. Maybe Stone makes it, but Marner well ahead of Stone I have to say.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
For the record, I think Stamkos at the very least is on the team. But he has never been good in the playoffs. The Bolts won last year when he only played 1 playoff game. He was snake bit in the 2016 World Cup as well. I think he has done enough in his career to make up for it of course, but I am confused with Stone. I am just trying to think of what he has done that Marner hasn't. Or when he was ever better than Marner is right now. Maybe Stone makes it, but Marner well ahead of Stone I have to say.

I think Stone fits better down the lineup than Marner. He has the size advantage, is excellent defensively, has the intensity that Marner currently lacks.

You are going to be facing some big teams in Russia and US. Stone can play in those games better than Marner can at this moment. Marner has plenty of talent, but lacks the next step to be Team Canada material.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think Stone fits better down the lineup than Marner. He has the size advantage, is excellent defensively, has the intensity that Marner currently lacks.

You are going to be facing some big teams in Russia and US. Stone can play in those games better than Marner can at this moment. Marner has plenty of talent, but lacks the next step to be Team Canada material.

We will need some size, but let's not forget the mistakes of the past. There were times when we focused on beating the USA, and when we did in 1998 we weren't built for any other team. I like Stone in there, we could use him for a lot of things, but while we're at it, why not add Tom Wilson as perhaps the 13th guy. There are lots of scenarios you can use him in. It wouldn't be crazy to use him with a talented centre while he does a lot of the grunt work.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

I don't think it is an "either-or" type of situation.

Both Stone and Marner should be on the team.

Marner should be put on the wing with one of McDavid or MacKinnon as the centre.

Stone should be put with O'Reilly as a a shutdown duo, and the 1st unit penalty killers.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I don't think it is an "either-or" type of situation.

Both Stone and Marner should be on the team.

Marner should be put on the wing with one of McDavid or MacKinnon as the centre.

Stone should be put with O'Reilly as a a shutdown duo, and the 1st unit penalty killers.

Marner goes well with MacKinnon and Point, all three having played together at the worlds. Stone forms a ridiculous shutdown line with Couturier and O’Reilly, all of whom are serial Selke Finalists.

Agree they should both be there.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
We will need some size, but let's not forget the mistakes of the past. There were times when we focused on beating the USA, and when we did in 1998 we weren't built for any other team. I like Stone in there, we could use him for a lot of things, but while we're at it, why not add Tom Wilson as perhaps the 13th guy. There are lots of scenarios you can use him in. It wouldn't be crazy to use him with a talented centre while he does a lot of the grunt work.

Agreed, and I had him listed in my extras with Marner. He has skill and size. If he can stay out of the box, he would be great as an energy line forward.

Reactions: Big Phil

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Assuming you’re running McDavid, MacKinnon and Crosby as your top three centres, the 4th line wouldn’t wouldn’t get the minutes necessary to be a true matchup/shutdown line (nor would you want the 4th line to be sucking up too many minutes from the top three lines). Under Babcock the 4th line typically played 2-3 shifts per period and helped on the PK, while the matchup/shutdown line (the Toews line) got 2nd line minutes. No reason to believe that wouldn’t be the case in 2022.

I think the Marchand/Crosby/Bergeron line should be matched up against the opposition’s best line. The McDavid and MacKinnon lines will need some defensive balance as the other top nations are loaded at forward. And we’ll have the depth advantage whenever the 4th line hits the ice.

Stamkos / McDavid / Point
Marchand / Crosby / Bergeron
O’Reilly / MacKinnon / Marner
Couturier / Scheifele / Stone
Horvat, Huberdeau

The MacKinnon line played well together at the Worlds a couple of years ago. McDavid gets Canada’s best triggerman/finisher on one side and Point, who has the motor, offensive skillset and defensive commitment to complement McDavid, on the other (not to mention Point’s chemistry with Stamkos). Scheifele and Stone also played well at the Worlds a few years ago. Couturier takes a regular shift with those guys and leads the PK with Stone, while Huberdeau mixes in when some additional offense is needed (or someone up the lineup gets injured).

that’s how I’d structure the forward group. I think it’s a well balanced group with a good amount of chemistry throughout the four lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad