Team Canada 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If Blackwood’s done nothing, what has Hart done?

Fair point. That's sort of the thing I mean. Price, Binnington and Fleury are three very solid goalies if not spectacular at times. We don't have Roy/Brodeur/Joseph/Belfour to fall back on right now, but I think this is at least as good of a trio that any other country can bring.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Now that he has returned to being a competent (or above competent) defenseman, I think it is highly likely that Drew Doughty makes the team.

He has the extensive resume and track-record, both in the NHL and in the Olympics. His experience and leadership will be important for what is a younger group.

This is all assuming he doesn't regress back into what he was becoming.

Chabot (LHS) - Pietrangelo (RHS)
Theodore (LHS) - Makar (RHS)
Rielly (LHS) - Doughty (RHS)

* LHS and RHS refer to what side of shot

That is a decent top 6.

That leaves Parayko, Hamilton, Ekblad, Nurse, Morrissey, and Weber to compete for 2 remaining spots (8 defensemen are taken).

Do you think there will be an effort to having an equal number of left-handed vs. right-handed shots?

I know that was important during the Babcock era. And a lot of coaches do view that set-up as the most ideal, if given the choice.

If so, then those final 2 spots will involve the following competitions:

Nurse vs. Morrissey (for the left-handed spot)
Parayko vs. Hamilton vs. Ekblad vs. Weber (for the right-handed shot)

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fair point. That's sort of the thing I mean. Price, Binnington and Fleury are three very solid goalies if not spectacular at times. We don't have Roy/Brodeur/Joseph/Belfour to fall back on right now, but I think this is at least as good of a trio that any other country can bring.

I think a current merit-based roster includes Blackwood, Binnington, and Fleury. Maybe Kuemper. Hart and Price on the outside looking in until they start to play better.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Now that he has returned to being a competent (or above competent) defenseman, I think it is highly likely that Drew Doughty makes the team.

He has the extensive resume and track-record, both in the NHL and in the Olympics. His experience and leadership will be important for what is a younger group.

That is a decent top 6.

That leaves Parayko, Hamilton, Ekblad, Nurse, Morrissey, and Weber to compete for 2 remaining spots (8 defensemen are taken).

Do you think there will be an effort to having an equal number of left-handed vs. right-handed shots?

I know that was important during the Babcock era. And a lot of coaches do view that set-up as the most ideal, if given the choice.

Doughty is still not all the way back in my book. but there's been some improvement. just not enough imo. but baby steps for now. I player who is out, though, that is Price.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Barzal - McDavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Huberdeau - Point - Marner
Stone - OReilly - Couturier
Scheifele - Stamkos

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Makar
Chabot - Doughty
Nurse - Parayko

Fleury
Price
Blackwood/Hart

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Realistically the Canadian goaltender just needs to have a 2.50 GAA and a .900 save percentage and they’ll still win gold with the Lamborghini of offense up front. Price and Hart’s struggles are concerning but at the end of the day they don’t have to steal the tournament for Canada, unlike Russia or USA or to a lesser extent Finland

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Doughty is still not all the way back in my book. but there's been some improvement. just not enough imo. but baby steps for now. I player who is out, though, that is Price.
Price is the only proven commodity on the world stage that Canada has.

If there were 3 other Vezina-calibre goaltenders that Canada had to choose from, then maybe Price's recent struggles would be enough to exclude him from the team.

But I see him as a lock, unless he completely falls off a cliff over the next 10 months. And when I say "completely falls of a cliff", I mean "isn't even NHL starting goaltender calibre anymore".

Canada isn't going to go into the 2022 Olympics with a group of 22-25 year old goalies, all who lack much (or any) international experience at the senior level. Not when they can add an experienced 34 year old goalie who won the 2014 Olympics and 2016 World Cup to their roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017

Doughty has been the best Canadian born defenseman so far this year. His two way play has been phenomenal. Leads the Kings dmen in all icetime situations as well. Pietrangelo, Chabot, Rielly, have been underwhelming. Theodore, Parayko, have been ok. Makar has also played really well.

I think Canada has to be careful to not focus on having too many offensive minded defenseman. With their forwards, I think it's better to have more two way or even more defensive minded dmen on the team.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

I can definitely see someone like Jared Spurgeon get a long look for a depth defenseman role on this team. What's working against him is that he's a RHS, the side we're deeper on, and doesn't have an international resume to speak of. But, kind of paralleling Dan Hamhuis in 2014 he'd be someone that presumably the coaching staff would be comfortable with as the 7th/8th defenceman as he's very low-risk and very solid defensively (keeping in mind that Hamhuis was a LHS and had an extensive international resume).

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

If there were 3 other Vezina-calibre goaltenders that Canada had to choose from, then maybe Price's recent struggles would be enough to exclude him from the team.

But I see him as a lock, unless he completely falls off a cliff over the next 10 months. And when I say "completely falls of a cliff", I mean "isn't even NHL starting goaltender calibre anymore".

Canada isn't going to go into the 2022 Olympics with a group of 22-25 year old goalies, all who lack much (or any) international experience at the senior level. Not when they can add an experienced 34 year old goalie who won the 2014 Olympics and 2016 World Cup to their roster.

yeah, on a NA sized rink playing against predominantly NHL players I wouldn't be giving to much weight to what any player did on the "international stage" 6-8 years ago. any player. Price included. but that's just me.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
All of a sudden I am a little worried about our goaltending.

As of today, I would go with Blackwood as the starter, maybe Fleury as the backup?

That is a decent top 6.

Man I am a Leaf fan and even I wouldn't have Rielly anywhere near our top 6.

Hamilton, Ekblad, Parayko and Morrissey are all better players. In terms of Hamilton and Parayko, it isn't really very close.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
So then the next best on best you have no goaltenders with experience again..go with the best goaltenders, the rest will take care of itself.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Maybe I've been sleeping on Chicago, but I'm quite surprised to see multiple people with Keith in their top 6 D.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

I never liked Babcock's stubbornness with that sort of thing. Team Canada 1976 defense had all left handed shots. So it really isn't the be all and end all. There was a time in 2014 or so when we had much better right handed defensemen and they were left home.

I think a current merit-based roster includes Blackwood, Binnington, and Fleury. Maybe Kuemper. Hart and Price on the outside looking in until they start to play better.

Maybe I am missing something here but why is Blackwood such a lock? Okay, good start to his career for a young kid, but what has he done to be an Olympic goaltender? I realize Canada is not at the 1990s/early 2000s level of deep goaltending but we aren't that weak either.

So then the next best on best you have no goaltenders with experience again..go with the best goaltenders, the rest will take care of itself.

I mean, Binnington is 27 years old. He looks like a good mainstay for a while. Experience is nice, but what is even better is if you are playing well at that time. Lots of time Canada did not have the most experienced guy in net and they still won.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
So in response to someone talking about a Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon line. I don't put Crosby on that line. I think no matter who it is on that left side it won't matter. That line is nuclear already. McDavid and MacKinnon on the same line is one of those weapons we'll have. It isn't quite Gretzky/Lemieux in 1987, but the thing is those two didn't play regularly until the final series. McDavid and MacKinnon can play side by side all tournament.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
So in response to someone talking about a Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon line. I don't put Crosby on that line. I think no matter who it is on that left side it won't matter. That line is nuclear already. McDavid and MacKinnon on the same line is one of those weapons we'll have. It isn't quite Gretzky/Lemieux in 1987, but the thing is those two didn't play regularly until the final series. McDavid and MacKinnon can play side by side all tournament.
Crosby with Bergeron and Marchand is likely set in stone unless one of them is injured or completely falls off a cliff. In a short tournament like this chemistry is important and those three have displayed it in spades. I think a bigger question is whether Mackinnon will play with Mcdavid or have his own line. If they can click I think Mack is maybe the one player in the world that can match the explosiveness that Mcdavid brings and could very easily be the best duo in the tournament. Or do you spread out the offense? Have Mcdavid and Mackinnon played together at all? If i recall correctly Mcdavid played with Matthews and Scheifele in the World cup, and im not sure if they played in the world championships together. Nor do I know how Mackinnon would fare on the wing on the fly like this.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Crosby with Bergeron and Marchand is likely set in stone unless one of them is injured or completely falls off a cliff. In a short tournament like this chemistry is important and those three have displayed it in spades. I think a bigger question is whether Mackinnon will play with Mcdavid or have his own line. If they can click I think Mack is maybe the one player in the world that can match the explosiveness that Mcdavid brings and could very easily be the best duo in the tournament. Or do you spread out the offense? Have Mcdavid and Mackinnon played together at all? If i recall correctly Mcdavid played with Matthews and Scheifele in the World cup, and im not sure if they played in the world championships together. Nor do I know how Mackinnon would fare on the wing on the fly like this.

I thought that too. Do you want to really give the opposition fits? Have McDavid, MacKinnon and Crosby's line as your top three lines. Who do you check? Who do you put your best line out against? Because no matter what you leave two other lethal ones open. Or do you keep that McDavid/MacKinnon thing in your back pocket in case you need it, a la Mike Keenan in the 1987 Canada Cup?

Reactions: Beau Knows

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Point - McDavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Bergeron - Crosby
Stamkos - Couturier - Stone
Huberdeau - O`Reilly - Couture
ex: Marner, Tom Wilson (beef!), Cirelli, RNH

Extras can all kill penalties and bring different skill sets in the event of injuries.

Makar - Weber
Ekblad - Pietrangelo
Ellis - Doughty
Morrisey, Muzzin, Theodore - good blend of everything here.

Goalies all suck - bring whoever is hot at the time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe I am missing something here but why is Blackwood such a lock? Okay, good start to his career for a young kid, but what has he done to be an Olympic goaltender? I realize Canada is not at the 1990s/early 2000s level of deep goaltending but we aren't that weak either.

Who said he's a lock? He's pretty clearly been better the last two seasons than Hart and Price, two guys with big hype who haven't delivered.

Along with Fleury, Binnington, and Kuemper, Blackwood is playing well and deserves serious consideration.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Point - McDavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Bergeron - Crosby
Stamkos - Couturier - Stone
Huberdeau - O`Reilly - Couture
ex: Marner, Tom Wilson (beef!), Cirelli, RNH

Extras can all kill penalties and bring different skill sets in the event of injuries.

Makar - Weber
Ekblad - Pietrangelo
Ellis - Doughty
Morrisey, Muzzin, Theodore - good blend of everything here.

Goalies all suck - bring whoever is hot at the time.

Point LW
Stamkos LW

6 RHD

not really realistic

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Huberdeau McDavid Marner
Mackinnon Barzal Point
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Scheifele Couturier Stone
Oreilly

Morrisey Makar
Theodore Pietrangelo
Nurse Doughty
Chabot

Blackwood
Hart
Price

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

Does a 3.13 GAA good for 52th amongst goalie in the league and a 0.888 good for 63th qualify as "not even NHL starting goaltender calibre anymore", or does the guy needs to goal under .700 for you to actually reconsider you choice that is purely based on 5 years old hype?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Huberdeau McDavid Marner
Mackinnon Barzal Point
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Scheifele Couturier Stone
Oreilly

Morrisey Makar
Theodore Pietrangelo
Nurse Doughty
Chabot

Blackwood
Hart
Price

Schief on the 4th line, well okay then, and Price even on the roster, seriously!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad