Team Branding Thread (Logo, Colors, Uniforms, etc.)

What should the Seattle NHL franchise be called?

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
not until next summer

So these are not official?

Kraken01.png

Reactions: andys

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If Nintendo had not sold the Mariners, I could have easily seen them owning the NHL team in Seattle and naming it Smashers utilizing a brand inspired by the Super Smash Bros. series of crossover fighting games which would be fitting given hockey's violent nature.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If Nintendo had not sold the Mariners, I could have easily seen them owning the NHL team in Seattle and naming it Smashers utilizing a brand inspired by the Super Smash Bros. series of crossover fighting games which would be fitting given hockey's violent nature.

Nintendo still owns a small % ( ithink 5%) of the mariners.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Drove up to Seattle on Tuesday for my birthday and this year's release of Fresh Hop Cowiche Canyon IPA from Fremont Brewing.

Stopped at Costco yesterday on the way home and snagged a Kraken hoodie and t-shirt.

Reactions: MattyIce0401

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not going to become a Kraken fan. But it sounds like my girlfriend is going to abandon my Penguins.

Merch wise do you think I get her a jersey or a hoodie.

I don't think she wears Jerseys but in my head getting a jersey is a no brainer.

Probably answered my question with saying a hoodie. Opinions?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Jerseys won't be available until next year, so probably a hoodie if it should be for right now.

Though, I'd stay away from fanatics and their crappy quality.

Talked to my mother. I am going with a hoodie and going to by directly from the NHL shop. Picked out the hoodie and everything.

I don't think she would ever wear a jersey so it would have to be framed for it to be worth it.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Hey all, Canucks fan here. Looking forward to have a rival straight down the 99.

I know it's a bit OT and also my apologies if I'm necroposting, but do you think there will be any negative repercussions for your team brand in a blue state because of Powell's reference to the Kraken?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
No, since it's nearly gone completely away (and been overshadowed BIG TIME) and the only people who know about it and care enough for it to matter are probably too wrapped up in getting angry about politics to care about fun stuff like hockey.

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
Hey all, Canucks fan here. Looking forward to have a rival straight down the 99.

I know it's a bit OT and also my apologies if I'm necroposting, but do you think there will be any negative repercussions for your team brand in a blue state because of Powell's reference to the Kraken?
That's a fair question and I think The Marquis already answered it perfectly.

My friend also mentioned this connection last weekend and he said it's a shame it has somewhat tainted the name.

I hadn't really noticed or thought about it like that and even after he mentioned it, I didn't feel like it's a big deal or affects the feeling towards the name. Sure, for some it might bring a connection still now, but only one of those is here to stay and the other one never even existed in the rear mirror. Bring on the fun stuff hockey!

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
If it was for baseball or football then the logo would be more acceptable imo. Mariners have an S on their cap. And it would look fine on a Seahawks helmet.

hockey jersey, given how much space it will occupy, it seems a bit too simple for a primary logo. On a cap it looks fine. Simple logos look better when it’s smaller but more detailed logos look better when you have more surface area to cover.

It would be like if the Bruins came out with their spoked B Instead of an image of a Bear as their logo if they unveiled their logo in 2020.

the jersey is growing on me but I wouldn’t pay money for that. I would rather get the impending 3rd alternate jersey. I agree that they could have made it look more like a hockey jersey instead of a baseball jersey. Something like this as the logo except for the wings and hands:

a9224550197719.58c9d54d2a643.png

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/1400/a9224550197719.58c9d54d2a643.png

VGK has the best looking NHL jerseys since the Oilers Todd McFarlane oil drop 3rd alt jersey. I see people wear the VGK jerseys all over in Canada just because it is visually striking and unique

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
the jersey is growing on me but I wouldn’t pay money for that. I would rather get the impending 3rd alternate jersey. I agree that they could have made it look more like a hockey jersey instead of a baseball jersey. Something like this as the logo except for the wings and hands:

a9224550197719.58c9d54d2a643.png

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/1400/a9224550197719.58c9d54d2a643.png

VGK has the best looking NHL jerseys since the Oilers Todd McFarlane oil drop 3rd alt jersey. I see people wear the VGK jerseys all over in Canada just because it is visually striking and unique
It’s funny how my jersey preferences are the exact opposite of yours. Love the Kraken color scheme and jerseys while hated the Vegas ones.

I wanted to like the Vegas ones since I used to go to Vegas a couple times a year on vacation.

The world would be a very boring place if we all had the same opinions though.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The intro to the game should have it for when before the players are skating on the ice, the fans say release the Kraken as For Whom the Bell Tolls plays right as the players skate out.

I feel the team needs a creepy intense song as it feels as the Kraken are about to destroy their opponents.

But I think they need a special celebrity guest (Rainn Wilson, Bill Gates, Macklemore)/special season ticket holder ballot winner/Seattle Seahawk or Mariner to lead the chant of Release the Kraken as they skate onto the ice. Just like the Hurricane Horn in Carolina. The announcer cannot say Release the Kraken unless it's after an intermission.

Would it be weird for me to think they should hire me for the production crew?

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
The intro to the game should have it for when before the players are skating on the ice, the fans say release the Kraken as For Whom the Bell Tolls plays right as the players skate out.

I feel the team needs a creepy intense song as it feels as the Kraken are about to destroy their opponents.

But I think they need a special celebrity guest (Rainn Wilson, Bill Gates, Macklemore)/special season ticket holder ballot winner/Seattle Seahawk or Mariner to lead the chant of Release the Kraken as they skate onto the ice. Just like the Hurricane Horn in Carolina. The announcer cannot say Release the Kraken unless it's after an intermission.

Would it be weird for me to think they should hire me for the production crew?
Sounds great, as long as I get to be the zamboni driver.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Disagree 100%!! The logo is quite simple but with a deeper story to tell. And the colors all work.

Logo scores: Kraken: 9/10 VGK: 5.5/10

Logo scores: Kraken: 6/10 VGK: 3/10

If the "S" was the alternate logo I'd give it a 10, but it's not working for me as a main hockey crest. VGK main logo looks like it could've been drawn by a 10 year old. I do like their jerseys though

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
It’s funny how my jersey preferences are the exact opposite of yours. Love the Kraken color scheme and jerseys while hated the Vegas ones.

I wanted to like the Vegas ones since I used to go to Vegas a couple times a year on vacation.

The world would be a very boring place if we all had the same opinions though.

I love the Kraken color scheme. Especially the dark away jersey. Just not the S logo.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think the jerseys look awful on photos. Saw them in person today in a sporting goods store. They look much better in person somehow!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I was under the impression that the Kraken Jersey isn't available yet, and won't be until the expansion draft. You've piqued my interest.

They won't be available before the expansion draft or most likely August.

Not sure what was on display but I doubt it was an official jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad