Team Branding Thread (Logo, Colors, Uniforms, etc.)

What should the Seattle NHL franchise be called?

• Total voters

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Ownership group is out of touch with the market considering the colour scheme and team names that are being floated. Red and black should absolutely not be used for any major league team in Seattle. These 100% are Portland colours and have already been done to death in the NHL.

The Kraken name is embarrassing. Its the "vote for Rory" All Star game of team names. A bunch of internet geeks that will never see a Seattle game are driving this.

I voted for the Kraken and I will definitely be going to a game in Seattle.

Reactions: sparkychewbarky

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
...Been tweakin' the nautical "Pilots" concept...added black to the palette and borrowed a couple of "SeaLions" logos...

Cfeeq9T.jpg

Reactions: SoldiersOfFilth

ItRisesFromTheWaves

Jun 14, 2010
Don't understand the hate for the Kraken. Clearly haven't spent time in Ballard if you feel Kraken has no footing in the area. Internet trolls and "geeks" have nothing to do with it. Guess you don't want a mythical beast chewing up and spitting out opponents, eh? Suppose I won't be seeing a game, even with my season tickets.

And I also don't understand the love Sockeyes or Totems get. Not intimidating in the least. No one really wants to be a fish. Totems is equally head scratching. Just why.

News would be nice, outside of "Coming in the Fall".

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Don't understand the hate for the Kraken. Clearly haven't spent time in Ballard if you feel Kraken has no footing in the area. Internet trolls and "geeks" have nothing to do with it. Guess you don't want a mythical beast chewing up and spitting out opponents, eh? Suppose I won't be seeing a game, even with my season tickets.

And I also don't understand the love Sockeyes or Totems get. Not intimidating in the least. No one really wants to be a fish. Totems is equally head scratching. Just why.

And there are a number of NHL teams where the name isn't intimidating at all.

ItRisesFromTheWaves

Jun 14, 2010
And there are a number of NHL teams where the name isn't intimidating at all.

Yeah. Doesn't mean you should follow that example.

They are still bad names whether you care about that or not, IMO.

To each their own, I just don't get the love. Or the hate for Kraken that seems to stem from elitism (whether nativism based or otherwise). If you don't like it, you don't like it.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah. Doesn't mean you should follow that example.

They are still bad names whether you care about that or not, IMO.

To each their own, I just don't get the love. Or the hate for Kraken that seems to stem from elitism (whether nativism based or otherwise). If you don't like it, you don't like it.

So should we then just call it Seattle hockey club with no name what so ever? Cause if you are gonna use that as an reason to not pick "just don't like it" then you might as well throw every single name out and just don't go with a name.

ItRisesFromTheWaves

Jun 14, 2010
So should we then just call it Seattle hockey club with no name what so ever? Cause if you are gonna use that as an reason to not pick "just don't like it" then you might as well throw every single name out and just don't go with a name.

I mean, I have no actual say. I don't get what you are getting at here. I was just saying it's not worth arguing over and that I do not get why some people like Sockeyes and Totems or hate the Kraken. My guess is we will all support the team no matter the name, regardless of our preferences.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I mean, I have no actual say. I don't get what you are getting at here. I was just saying it's not worth arguing over and that I do not get why some people like Sockeyes and Totems or hate the Kraken. My guess is we will all support the team no matter the name, regardless of our preferences.
Personally, I've never liked singular collective team names that are so popular in soccer leagues. I don't think it's an opinion just held by me, either.

Plus, I think the Kraken legend is an Atlantic Ocean thing, so....

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
So they put up some results from the initial polls on NHL Seattle
View media item 5307
Also here is one of the new questions they put up:

What type of team names do you prefer
  • Things that fly
  • Things you climb
  • Things you fear
  • Things that swim

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Kraken like the Toronto Raptors is simply lame...Does either city have any massive squid like creatures, or prehistoric man-eaters hanging out in coffee shops?

At least Totems pays homage to the indigenous people of the northwest, and Sockeyes being a species of salmon also part of the northwest...That just makes sense.

Reactions: Brodie

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Fierce logos is a minor league thing same with the name Kraken. It would be an embarrassment to use that name.

Totems has built in history and potential for timeless uniforms. It would also seem to right a wrong by finally admitting the city into the league using that name. The Seattle Totems were supposed to begin play in the NHL in the mid 70s.

Reactions: FMichael

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Fierce logos is a minor league thing same with the name Kraken. It would be an embarrassment to use that name.

Totems has built in history and potential for timeless uniforms. It would also seem to right a wrong by finally admitting the city into the league using that name. The Seattle Totems were supposed to begin play in the NHL in the mid 70s.

And they may not want to use that name. Remember this isn't the 70's anymore and today people may be too sensitive on anything to do with native american type names.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
you guys would never hear the end of it from us Sharks fans if they pick Sockeyes lol

Meh i don't really care what other team fans think. its Seattle teams and they can decide to call it Sockeyes if they want to. I think its not fair to let other teams dictate what we call ours.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Meh i don't really care what other team fans think. its Seattle teams and they can decide to call it Sockeyes if they want to. I think its not fair to let other teams dictate what we call ours.
just giving you guys a hard time, wasn't talking trash or anything and I agree.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
I'm excited for whatever they put out, but I will forever think of them as cowards if the color scheme is not truly unique (i.e copper+sky blue or bright green as opposed to the drab, swamp green)

Also, Sockeyes FTW.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
When I was talking about this with my aunt (not into sports) a while back, she thought of the idea “Seattle Sky”, which I’ve not actually heard prior

Which might be harder to visualize, but it sure sounds good as a name to me

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
When I was talking about this with my aunt (not into sports) a while back, she thought of the idea “Seattle Sky”, which I’ve not actually heard prior

Seattle Sky Salmons. Though sounds more like minor leagues. Sky sounds nice but Sockeyes would allow them to unique combo of colors that would fit northwest.

Last edited:

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012

"Seattle Sky" has a nice ring to it...
But how about..."Seattle SkyKraken" ;)...(It's from Seattle's Fremont Brewery)

KKE70ko.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad