Confirmed with Link: TEAM 1040: Linden Vey To Accept Qualifying Offer of $735,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
It's only 2-way because Vey is waiver eligible, so we can't send him down anyways. I saw a quote from Vey's agent somewhere saying that he was going to push for 1-way, but then realized it didn't matter because Vey would likely be claimed if we were to waive him.

If someone claimed him then waived him again, no chance he gets back the Canucks who would be able to claim and put him in Utica. The AHL salary is essentially meaningless on this contract.

Only way I see Vey actually spending any time in Utica is if he's hurt then put on a conditioning stint.

Vey's agent perhaps also realizes that with the Canucks having invested a 2nd round pick, he is going to have to absolutely crap the bed in training camp before they give up on him.

Vey is not a shoe in, but he will be given every chance to succeeed.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He's a shoe-in to be on the 23 man roster, and a safe bet to be in the starting 12 forwards. Even if he's a little sub-par, it would be embarrassing for Benning to trade a 2nd for an asset then waive that asset quickly.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Vey's agent perhaps also realizes that with the Canucks having invested a 2nd round pick, he is going to have to absolutely crap the bed in training camp before they give up on him.

Vey is not a shoe in, but he will be given every chance to succeeed.

Exactly, it's very very very unlikely that the 2-way matters in this case, because Vey won't be making the AHL salary. We almost definitely will not waive him due to what we invested to get him. This being the case, Vey's agent didn't push for a 1-way contract.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
He's a shoe-in to be on the 23 man roster, and a safe bet to be in the starting 12 forwards. Even if he's a little sub-par, it would be embarrassing for Benning to trade a 2nd for an asset then waive that asset quickly.

Don't think it has anything to do with it being embarrassing; it has to do with what is available. Benning decided to roll the dice (re: not re-signing Santo), so even if Vey stinks it up badly - he's on the roster no matter what.

I am assuming guys like Horvat aren't quite ready yet - but who knows until training camp.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
The point is how does Vey now stack up to Santorelli now (as in, next season)? It's about projecting this upcoming season. People are reasonably confident in the comparison due to Santorelli's strong season last year. Based on probability alone, Vey is behind the 8 Ball. Odds are stacked against him.

What kind of season do you project Santorelli to have? How many minutes? How many points?

This move isn't about this season, it's about two seasons from now. At that point Santorelli will be a well paid veteran NHL player (at best) entering his 30's. Vey will be (at best) a team controlled player entering his prime. Benning clearly has one eye on the present and one on the future. He realizes that he can't reload with a bunch of 18 year olds and he has to fill some age gaps on this team. Vrbata is the stop gap, Vey is the investment in the future. Santorelli missed the boat.

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
He realizes that he can't reload with a bunch of 18 year olds and he has to fill some age gaps on this team. Vrbata is the stop gap, Vey is the investment in the future. Santorelli missed the boat.
I would've preferred a stop-gap at center instead of an extra left side D that we don't particularly need. In that case, if Vey does well; then just put a guy like Sestito on waivers.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I would've preferred a stop-gap at center instead of an extra left side D that we don't particularly need. In that case, if Vey does well; then just put a guy like Sestito on waivers.

We still need a stop gap centre imo... I just don't think Santorelli fits the mould of the guy we need. We need a guy that can take on heavy defensive minutes.

The left side D depth was needed. I hope Sbisa is a guy Benning thinks the team can get milage out of... but I have no idea.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
We still need a stop gap centre imo... I just don't think Santorelli fits the mould of the guy we need. We need a guy that can take on heavy defensive minutes.

Lecavlier would've been decent in my opinion. He's obviously not what he once was, but I think he would've provided enough secondary scoring, leadership, grit, etc., even if it came at a cap hit that was far too high.

I would do Burrows and a 3rd for Lecavlier, but Burrows won't waive from what I hear.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This move isn't about this season, it's about two seasons from now. At that point Santorelli will be a well paid veteran NHL player (at best) entering his 30's. Vey will be (at best) a team controlled player entering his prime

You said it perfectly and I couldn't agree more.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Lecavlier would've been decent in my opinion. He's obviously not what he once was, but I think he would've provided enough secondary scoring, leadership, grit, etc., even if it came at a cap hit that was far too high.

I would do Burrows and a 3rd for Lecavlier, but Burrows won't waive from what I hear.

Leadership and grit? We're talking about now Lecavalier, not Tampa Bay Lecavalier.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Well that would come down to one's ability to assess and project talent... Even if you and I disagree on McKeown's projection, and we do, let's look at this from LA's perspective: Why do they target a pick with this trade? Why not a more matured asset? In other words, why do they assume the risk of time, as Mckeown is further from the NHL, to give up a seasoned AHL performer? To me, the answer is ultimate projection. They must feel McKeown projects better in the end.

I'm not really interested in looking at it from the King's perspective. They got the best player they thought they could that they thought they may need in a few years. Vey was, as another poster put it, their version of Grabner and because they didn't need him due to their depth, they converted him into a pick. Good on them.

That's why they pull the trigger for a green prospect. They sacrifice time for a better eventual asset. Otherwise, they go for a more ready prospect at a different position, IMO.

They didn't sacrifice anything though. They traded Vey before they lost him. It's really that simple. They traded him for a pick that allowed them to take a chance on someone they regarded as a possible future asset. It's also possible that the pick was a safer asset in return than any other ready prospect that were being offered. Or maybe the other prospects would have been in the same position as Vey under a glut of depth.

By that logic, every good AHL player has "shown more talent" than every recent draftee. :huh:

Vey =/= every good AHL player and every good AHL player =/= Vey. And it doesn't mean that there aren't junior level players that are better than some good AHL players. That's not logical, nor how logic works.

Comparing a prospect that excels at the professional level versus a prospect that hasn't shown anything at the professional level is ridiculous, since the latter's abilities at the pro-level is build on thoughts and projections and the former's is built on actual 'been there excelled at that' demonstration. One's abilities at the pro-level resides in the real world, the other's resides in ImaginationLand.

And?
The point is how does Vey now stack up to Santorelli now (as in, next season)? It's about projecting this upcoming season. People are reasonably confident in the comparison due to Santorelli's strong season last year. Based on probability alone, Vey is behind the 8 Ball. Odds are stacked against him.

It's not his fault either. It's just what we can reasonably expect from a 22 year old fringe NHLer..

And...that if you want to compare Vey and Santorelli, just like I did with McKeown and Vey, then compare them at similar times/levels. That's why I said that I can't compare someone who's only played 18 games in the NHL versus someone who's played 5 seasons, since there's nothing to base a comparison on, except perhaps both player's first foray into the NHL, whereupon Vey put up superior offensive numbers over Santorelli.

If you want to project based on that, go ahead. Vey would offesively project better than what Santorelli has accomplished in 5 seasons. But, I can't project that, because 18 games in too small a sample size for me to do so, as is McKeown's 0 AHL games versus 3 full AHL season for Vey.
Will Santorelli be better than Vey right now, yes, of course, but if Santorelli didn't sign here, then that's fine, or if Benning decided that Vey's development at the NHL level would be better for the organization, then that's the calculation he made. A young Vey that's on a cheaper 2-way contract may have been more appealing for the team and it's goals, and its cap, now and for the future. Maybe that was the calculation from the start, with the trade. Get in a young NHL ready prospect over an older journeyman, as you 'youngify' the team over the next couple of years.

Did we really "need" him more? Santorelli was still unsigned. Same size, right shot, 2/3 centre, 1 year experience with the team... He could have filled the spot for 2 years, and likely at a better efficiency. Also, the RH defensive depth for the organization is weak. Mckeown would have supplemented that area well. Again, this comes down to how you assess org. weaknesses/strengths, as well as the skillset of McKeown/Vey.

Yes, apparently Benning needed Vey more than Santorelli. Don't like it? Too bad. Santorelli is no 2nd center either. The claim is as laughable as saying that Vey is a 2C. 3rd or 4th at best for Santorelli. He could have filled a spot, but again, Benning decided to build around a younger cheaper guy. I've no problem with that.

McKeown would not have supplemented the RHD spot for at least 4-5 years and that's if he projected like Tanev, and Tanev only played his first full season last season and he was signed in 2010, and by most accounts, his rise up the depth ranks has been fast. Again, 4-5 years is a long time away, and what we needed more, imo, and perhaps in Benning's was a young AHL proven player that could be an asset on the 3rd line either as a center or as a complimentary winger to a more established centerman such as Mathias. I believe he made a good decision with Vey over Santorelli, for the long term, and over keeping Garrison which ultimately brought Vey and allowed LA to choose McKeown. I think it was a win-win for nearly everyone in that situation, save Santorelli perhaps, but who know he may find a role with the Laffs.

Lastly, Vey's frame is not ideally suited to a 3rd line role. To me, he is ideally suited as a team's soft minute 2C (2nd unit PP time), similar to Santorelli. But like Santorelli, if he doesn't firmly establish himself in that role, he runs the risk of becoming a fringe player in his "off" years.

I disagree. I think 6 ft and 190lbs is adequate for him to play on the 3rd line. He's had 3 years of pro-level fitness and in the 18 games played with the Kings on their bottom 6, he didn't seem out of place. I believe he may need a bit more muscle strengthening and perhaps even conditioning, but that's what the Nucks organization will provide, so I don't see that as much of a concern for him. If you're concerned, then I can respect that disagreement.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm not really interested in looking at it from the King's perspective. They got the best player they thought they could that they thought they may need in a few years. Vey was, as another poster put it, their version of Grabner and because they didn't need him due to their depth, they converted him into a pick. Good on them.

They didn't sacrifice anything though. They traded Vey before they lost him. It's really that simple. They traded him for a pick that allowed them to take a chance on someone they regarded as a possible future asset. It's also possible that the pick was a safer asset in return than any other ready prospect that were being offered. Or maybe the other prospects would have been in the same position as Vey under a glut of depth.

It seems you're skirting around the issue: LA clearly assumed risk in the form of a green prospect because they project him to be the better eventual asset. That's their incentive to make the move. You have to look at the trade from both sides.

They could have traded Vey for a veteran, or a young D prospect instead, but chose not to.

Vey =/= every good AHL player and every good AHL player =/= Vey. And it doesn't mean that there aren't junior level players that are better than some good AHL players. That's not logical, nor how logic works.

Comparing a prospect that excels at the professional level versus a prospect that hasn't shown anything at the professional level is ridiculous, since the latter's abilities at the pro-level is build on thoughts and projections and the former's is built on actual 'been there excelled at that' demonstration. One's abilities at the pro-level resides in the real world, the other's resides in ImaginationLand.

To the first paragraph: No kidding... Thank you for pointing out the logical inconsistency in your initial previous post (projecting AHL talent over OHL talent).

The second paragraph: You have to project what the draftee is likely to be in order to understand what the team might have missed. This is like, a well known form of argument here... It's how draftees/draft picks are evaluated against more mature talent (asset value). It's how LA made the call to deal Vey for the pick...

And...that if you want to compare Vey and Santorelli, just like I did with McKeown and Vey, then compare them at similar times/levels. That's why I said that I can't compare someone who's only played 18 games in the NHL versus someone who's played 5 seasons, since there's nothing to base a comparison on, except perhaps both player's first foray into the NHL, whereupon Vey put up superior offensive numbers over Santorelli.

If you want to project based on that, go ahead. Vey would offesively project better than what Santorelli has accomplished in 5 seasons. But, I can't project that, because 18 games in too small a sample size for me to do so, as is McKeown's 0 AHL games versus 3 full AHL season for Vey.
Will Santorelli be better than Vey right now, yes, of course, but if Santorelli didn't sign here, then that's fine, or if Benning decided that Vey's development at the NHL level would be better for the organization, then that's the calculation he made. A young Vey that's on a cheaper 2-way contract may have been more appealing for the team and it's goals, and its cap, now and for the future. Maybe that was the calculation from the start, with the trade. Get in a young NHL ready prospect over an older journeyman, as you 'youngify' the team over the next couple of years.

The bolded sentence is all I was looking for, glad we agree there.

The point about evaluating Vey vs. Santorelli: I understand why you want to compare the two at the same age. It's for the purposes of 'end' development. Vey is tracking better, so it stands to reason that he will eventually be better than Santorelli, given a similar trajectory. But this is less relevant to next year, is what I'm getting at. In the immediate future, Santorelli is the better bet (as you have acknowledged).

Yes, apparently Benning needed Vey more than Santorelli. Don't like it? Too bad. Santorelli is no 2nd center either. The claim is as laughable as saying that Vey is a 2C. 3rd or 4th at best for Santorelli. He could have filled a spot, but again, Benning decided to build around a younger cheaper guy. I've no problem with that.

McKeown would not have supplemented the RHD spot for at least 4-5 years and that's if he projected like Tanev, and Tanev only played his first full season last season and he was signed in 2010, and by most accounts, his rise up the depth ranks has been fast. Again, 4-5 years is a long time away, and what we needed more, imo, and perhaps in Benning's was a young AHL proven player that could be an asset on the 3rd line either as a center or as a complimentary winger to a more established centerman such as Mathias. I believe he made a good decision with Vey over Santorelli, for the long term, and over keeping Garrison which ultimately brought Vey and allowed LA to choose McKeown. I think it was a win-win for nearly everyone in that situation, save Santorelli perhaps, but who know he may find a role with the Laffs.

I disagree. I think 6 ft and 190lbs is adequate for him to play on the 3rd line. He's had 3 years of pro-level fitness and in the 18 games played with the Kings on their bottom 6, he didn't seem out of place. I believe he may need a bit more muscle strengthening and perhaps even conditioning, but that's what the Nucks organization will provide, so I don't see that as much of a concern for him. If you're concerned, then I can respect that disagreement.

"Adequate" is not "ideal". He needs more mass/strength for that role. More foot speed would help as well. I see him more in a 2nd line mould down the line, hopefully.

The years away from the show are less relevant to me than the quality of the asset (McKeown). There were other options available to Benning to supplement the current roster (Keep Dalpe/Santorelli), while infusing the pipeline with a key piece. I would have preferred that direction.

Lastly, what do you expect out of a 2C that Santorelli did not achieve last year? The only real knock was his PP production. At ES, he matched Kesler (26 points) while playing 28 fewer games. _Ideally_, Vey or Santorelli work best in a 2C position, IMO.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What kind of season do you project Santorelli to have? How many minutes? How many points?

Unknown given new environment and role. Here, as a 3C with 2nd unit PP time, I would have said about 40 points with tough match ups at ES. Giving Bonino some insurance.

This move isn't about this season, it's about two seasons from now. At that point Santorelli will be a well paid veteran NHL player (at best) entering his 30's. Vey will be (at best) a team controlled player entering his prime. Benning clearly has one eye on the present and one on the future. He realizes that he can't reload with a bunch of 18 year olds and he has to fill some age gaps on this team. Vrbata is the stop gap, Vey is the investment in the future. Santorelli missed the boat.

Santorelli too could have been a stop gap. There's still a spot open...

This move is about this season if they are insistent on Vey being a 3C right now. It looks like that's where they have him. That's why Santorelli gets pushed off the roster IMO. Vey is expected to take his spot in the immediate. And perform to that capacity in the immediate.

On the flipside, if Vey is seen as a prospect that needs a slow development track, they sign Santorelli to ensure 3C is viable, while Vey can move in and out of the line-up. Similar to how Dalpe was used last year.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
It seems you're skirting around the issue: LA clearly assumed risk in the form of a green prospect because they project him to be the better eventual asset. That's their incentive to make the move. You have to look at the trade from both sides.

They could have traded Vey for a veteran, or a young D prospect instead, but chose not to.

Or maybe there was no choice. Maybe there wasn't a D prospect that another team would give up for a possible bottom 6 guy. The former aren't as readily available as the latter. And the Kings don't need a veteran. Are you kidding me with that?

The Kings were risking losing Vey for nothing, that was their biggest risk. Getting a pick or a player or a prospect was the better option. What options they has besides the 2nd rounder, we cannot know. In any case, the Kings got what they could get, as best as they saw it, and the Nucks got what they got as best as they could see in getting a need filled. The fact that McKeown was the bet they bet for their defensive prospect pool only means that their pool in that area is low, and they opted to get the best prospect they could get at the time...not because it was in their plans all along and because McKeown was in their plans all along because he's going to be a top 4 dman one day. No, he was BPA for a position they thought they may need to stock up on for 4-5 years down the road. I'm looking at it from both sides, which is why I said it was a win-win. You seem to be lacking in taking my posts into account in their entirety. If you had, then you wouldn't have needed to comment about my lack of taking both sides into account, which I did earlier and have done so once again.

To the first paragraph: No kidding... Thank you for pointing out the logical inconsistency in your initial previous post (projecting AHL talent over OHL talent).

The logical fallacy was yours. I compared two specific players and you attempted to extrapolate that to all good AHL players vs every recent draftee. That's illogical. Comparing two specific players however is not.

If Tracy is taller than Mary, then are all Tracy's taller than all Mary's??

No. That would be illogical to try and argue that because someone specifically claimed Tracy to be taller than Mary, and so they also mean that all Tracy's are taller than all Mary's. To suggest someone said that about all Tracy's and Mary's from the comparison of one Tracy and Mary, is wherein the logical fallacy lies....again, with you.

The second paragraph: You have to project what the draftee is likely to be in order to understand what the team might have missed. This is like, a well known form of argument here... It's how draftees/draft picks are evaluated against more mature talent (asset value). It's how LA made the call to deal Vey for the pick...

The call to trade Vey was simple. Trade him for something that is or can be of asset or lose him for nothing. It had nothing to do with projections and what-not at the time.

The bolded sentence is all I was looking for, glad we agree there.

The point about evaluating Vey vs. Santorelli: I understand why you want to compare the two at the same age. It's for the purposes of 'end' development. Vey is tracking better, so it stands to reason that he will eventually be better than Santorelli, given a similar trajectory. But this is less relevant to next year, is what I'm getting at. In the immediate future, Santorelli is the better bet (as you have acknowledged).

Glad there was some consensus somewhere.

"Adequate" is not "ideal". He needs more mass/strength for that role. More foot speed would help as well. I see him more in a 2nd line mould down the line, hopefully.

Ideal is developed. Adequate is sometimes what you start with. The Nucks can get him to ideal through their development and training. Again, i'm not concerned about that. I'm not as comfortable projecting Vey as a 2nd liner, even if i'm quite optimistic about him and have been regularly commenting on my optimism and hopefulness at acquiring him and having him have a full-time role on the team.

The years away from the show are less relevant to me than the quality of the asset (McKeown). There were other options available to Benning to supplement the current roster (Keep Dalpe/Santorelli), while infusing the pipeline with a key piece. I would have preferred that direction.

Lastly, what do you expect out of a 2C that Santorelli did not achieve last year? The only real knock was his PP production. At ES, he matched Kesler (26 points) while playing 28 fewer games. _Ideally_, Vey or Santorelli work best in a 2C position, IMO.

How? From where and with what in return?

Garrison was a cap dump which seemingly may allow Tanev a top 4 spot the following season and shore up our 3rd pairing with Sbisa, while continuing to develop Stanton, Corrado for the next season or two before they assert themselves into the lineup moreso perhaps, due to injuries, trades, etc. That allowed Benning to also address, center or wing depth with a young player in Vey. Santorelli didn't fit the cost, or perhaps the direction Benning wanted with introducing younger guys into the fold. Dalpe was given a shot. Played 55 games and didn't earn an invite back. That's about that. He's not a project that Benning wanted to continue with.

It's not about what I think Santorelli did or didn't do, it's that Benning also believes that Bonino is a better 2C option over him. And a taller, younger, more offensively producing Bonino was the easy call on the 2nd line over Santorelli. It's a no-brainer to me as well. 10 goals isn't exactly screaming 2C to me, but a 20 goal scorer like Bonino does moreso. Don't know why you think Santorelli is 2C worthy though.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Unknown given new environment and role. Here, as a 3C with 2nd unit PP time, I would have said about 40 points with tough match ups at ES. Giving Bonino some insurance.

That's likely his role in Toronto... no? Santorelli is a 28 year old reclamation project... I can see why they don't want to invest those minutes in him.

Santorelli too could have been a stop gap. There's still a spot open...

This move is about this season if they are insistent on Vey being a 3C right now. It looks like that's where they have him. That's why Santorelli gets pushed off the roster IMO. Vey is expected to take his spot in the immediate. And perform to that capacity in the immediate.

On the flipside, if Vey is seen as a prospect that needs a slow development track, they sign Santorelli to ensure 3C is viable, while Vey can move in and out of the line-up. Similar to how Dalpe was used last year.

They need to insulate Bonino and Vey with a different kind of player imo

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Richardson-defensive centre-Dorsett

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
That's likely his role in Toronto... no? Santorelli is a 28 year old reclamation project, I can see why they don't want to invest those minutes in him.

They need to insulate Bonino and Vey with a different kind of player imo

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Richardson-defensive centre-Dorsett

No Mathias?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
and shore up our 3rd pairing with Sbisa
Our 3rd pairing would've shored-up with a RIGHT side defenseman - not another left side defenseman still looking to turn his game around.

Ain't going to blame Benning on this though as I suspect the Ducks wanted Sbisa included in the Kesler deal as a cap dump (would've like the trade even more had Sbisa not been included in the deal).

That's likely his role in Toronto... no? Santorelli is a 28 year old reclamation project... I can see why they don't want to invest those minutes in him.
I think Kadri & Bozak will get the most/all of the PP icetime as the centers.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
If he can outplay one of those guys... he can play in my lineup. If he can't... he doesn't belong in the lineup on a playoff team imo.

What makes you think they're a playoff team without Mathias though?

Mathias had a combined 11 goals and 23 points last season. I didn't think he out out place in the bottom 6 last season for the Nucks either.

Our 3rd pairing would've shored-up with a RIGHT side defenseman - not another left side defenseman still looking to turn his game around.

Ain't going to blame Benning on this though as I suspect the Ducks wanted Sbisa included in the Kesler deal as a cap dump (would've like the trade even more had Sbisa not been included in the deal).

Stanton, Weber and Corrado are capable of playing on the right side.

As for guys looking to turn their games around, you could include, Burrows, Hansen Edler to name a few, so i'm not comfortable using 'looking to turn their game around' as a pejorative, especially with Sbisa, considering he had a pretty injury filled year as one reason why he previous season was so lackluster.

It reminds me of a season Bieksa once had with injuries and the numerous calls for him to be traded for not producing like he was thought that he should have. The kid's still young, has things to learn and the 3rd pair is a pretty decent place to get regular minutes and get one's game back, imo.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Discussion is kind of pointless anyway, position doesn't matter on the PP

Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Frattin?, Clarkson?, Santorelli?

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Bonino, Kassian, Higgins, Vey, Burrows?

I don't see how they have a harder PP to crack then we do.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Stanton, Weber and Corrado are capable of playing on the right side.
Weber is a #7 depth defenseman. Corrado didn't have a great year in the AHL this past season; so I"m not sure he's quite ready yet. Stanton? I doubt he played enough on the right side this past season to make that call that he could switch sides that seemlessly.

I don't see how they have a harder PP to crack then we do.
Just based on past performance of each team's power play (why would the Leafs change something that is working?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad