Confirmed with Link: TEAM 1040: Linden Vey To Accept Qualifying Offer of $735,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
What makes you think they're a playoff team without Mathias though?

I'm not sure it is... that's why I said that. If he can't beat out players on that team... he doesn't belong on a playoff team.

Mathias had a combined 11 goals and 23 points last season. I didn't think he out out place in the bottom 6 last season for the Nucks either.

I like him as a player. He's definitely got some tools. I haven't seen enough to want to save a spot in my lineup for him though.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I like him as a player. He's definitely got some tools. I haven't seen enough to want to save a spot in my lineup for him though.
I'd rather have him the lineup (though maybe in the pressbox) as the 13th forward than Sestito.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Vey has the strongest chance to make the line-up as the 3C, basically being the only RH Center we have and Benning says he's a puck possession player.

I'm sure WD will get the best out of him.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That's likely his role in Toronto... no? Santorelli is a 28 year old reclamation project... I can see why they don't want to invest those minutes in him.

Not sure how Carlyle will use him. It depends on the extremes. When Grabovski was there, they really hammered him with tough minutes, opening up Kadri and Bozak. The latter two experienced good offensive seasons, while Grabo suffered offensively and was let go. If they plan on using Santo in the same capacity, could be a tough season...

They need to insulate Bonino and Vey with a different kind of player imo

To me, it's about insulating him first. The 'type' is a secondary concern. YMMV

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Or maybe there was no choice. Maybe there wasn't a D prospect that another team would give up for a possible bottom 6 guy. The former aren't as readily available as the latter. And the Kings don't need a veteran. Are you kidding me with that?

The Kings were risking losing Vey for nothing, that was their biggest risk. Getting a pick or a player or a prospect was the better option. What options they has besides the 2nd rounder, we cannot know. In any case, the Kings got what they could get, as best as they saw it, and the Nucks got what they got as best as they could see in getting a need filled. The fact that McKeown was the bet they bet for their defensive prospect pool only means that their pool in that area is low, and they opted to get the best prospect they could get at the time...not because it was in their plans all along and because McKeown was in their plans all along because he's going to be a top 4 dman one day. No, he was BPA for a position they thought they may need to stock up on for 4-5 years down the road. I'm looking at it from both sides, which is why I said it was a win-win. You seem to be lacking in taking my posts into account in their entirety. If you had, then you wouldn't have needed to comment about my lack of taking both sides into account, which I did earlier and have done so once again.

So what you're saying is that the Kings went from potentially getting "nothing" for Vey, to pulling a 2nd rounder from VAN? If so, great GM'ing by Lombardi. Turned a fleeting asset into a very solid pick...

Point is, the Kings saw all options available to them and _chose_ the green prospect that is 4-5 years away. They felt that taking on risk (development time) was worth the stretch.

How can you categorize it as "win-win" when you are
not really interested in looking at it from the King's perspective.

The logical fallacy was yours. I compared two specific players and you attempted to extrapolate that to all good AHL players vs every recent draftee. That's illogical. Comparing two specific players however is not.

If Tracy is taller than Mary, then are all Tracy's taller than all Mary's??

No. That would be illogical to try and argue that because someone specifically claimed Tracy to be taller than Mary, and so they also mean that all Tracy's are taller than all Mary's. To suggest someone said that about all Tracy's and Mary's from the comparison of one Tracy and Mary, is wherein the logical fallacy lies....again, with you.

Here's what you said:

Vey simply has shown more talent in the AHL over 3 seasons which better translates to the NHL game than McKeown has over 2 OHL seasons.

Can you see the logical inconsistency here, or are you still having trouble? I didn't make this statement, you did.

The call to trade Vey was simple. Trade him for something that is or can be of asset or lose him for nothing. It had nothing to do with projections and what-not at the time.

Glad there was some consensus somewhere.

Ideal is developed. Adequate is sometimes what you start with. The Nucks can get him to ideal through their development and training. Again, i'm not concerned about that. I'm not as comfortable projecting Vey as a 2nd liner, even if i'm quite optimistic about him and have been regularly commenting on my optimism and hopefulness at acquiring him and having him have a full-time role on the team.

The "comfort" in projecting Vey to be a 2C is simply based on his talent + skillset. He's not big or fast, which is something more traditionally seen in 3C roles. He's shifty, has good hands, is smaller and can play the 2nd unit PP. This skillset lends itself to a sheltered 2C role on a traditional roster.

I said he is not ideally suited to the 3C role, and he's not. "Adequate" is up for debate, but then that's a different argument than the one I made.

How? From where and with what in return?

Garrison was a cap dump which seemingly may allow Tanev a top 4 spot the following season and shore up our 3rd pairing with Sbisa, while continuing to develop Stanton, Corrado for the next season or two before they assert themselves into the lineup moreso perhaps, due to injuries, trades, etc. That allowed Benning to also address, center or wing depth with a young player in Vey. Santorelli didn't fit the cost, or perhaps the direction Benning wanted with introducing younger guys into the fold. Dalpe was given a shot. Played 55 games and didn't earn an invite back. That's about that. He's not a project that Benning wanted to continue with.

It's not about what I think Santorelli did or didn't do, it's that Benning also believes that Bonino is a better 2C option over him. And a taller, younger, more offensively producing Bonino was the easy call on the 2nd line over Santorelli. It's a no-brainer to me as well. 10 goals isn't exactly screaming 2C to me, but a 20 goal scorer like Bonino does moreso. Don't know why you think Santorelli is 2C worthy though.

The key piece for the pipeline being McKeown (would have thought that to be obvious?).

I've listed why Santorelli could be a 2C based on the situation here and his recent production rates. However, that's besides the point. The real issue is that Santorelli would have provided redundancy to Vey or Bonino. Free, cheap redundancy.

Still, I think the team is looking for another C even now. So we'll see what the depth looks like at the start of the year.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I question how many people tuned out last year after the trade deadline, because keeping Matthias out of the lineup is quite odd. Him and Kassian were probably our two best players down the "stretch" last year. They played great together too in limited chances, I would love to see those guys back together again in the top nine.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not sure it is... that's why I said that. If he can't beat out players on that team... he doesn't belong on a playoff team.

You have no lineup, at least not a lineup consisting of Canucks players. Dejardins does though.

Mathias doesn't have to beat out anyone. Somebody has to beat out Matthias. That's the way it works. Matthias is an established full-time NHL player who is 26, 6'4" and 215+ pounds on a $1.75M contract. We have a new coach, but no way Matthias isn't penciled into the lineup.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I question how many people tuned out last year after the trade deadline, because keeping Matthias out of the lineup is quite odd. Him and Kassian were probably our two best players down the "stretch" last year. They played great together too in limited chances, I would love to see those guys back together again in the top nine.

Seriously. I wouldn't go so far on the rest, but he definitely earned a spot.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
You have no lineup, at least not a lineup consisting of Canucks players. Dejardins does though.

Mathias doesn't have to beat out anyone. Somebody has to beat out Matthias. That's the way it works. Matthias is an established full-time NHL player who is 26, 6'4" and 215+ pounds on a $1.75M contract. We have a new coach, but no way Matthias isn't penciled into the lineup.

How do you know this?

You're up in arms that I didn't put him in my fake lineup but you're comfortable reading Willie's mind? Doesn't seem right.

Unless you have a quote from Desjardins?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Pencilling other guys in is not the same as keeping him out. Matthias will have every opportunity to win a spot in the lineup. If he plays well he will. If you can't beat out guys like Richardson and Dorsett for ice-time you probably weren't that good to begin with.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
To me, it's about insulating him first. The 'type' is a secondary concern. YMMV

I mentioned it in the other thread… if this team is serious about making the playoffs... they better get serious about checking Getzlaf, Toews, Kopitar, Thornton etc. They aren't going to do that with Mike Santorelli.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I mentioned it in the other thread… if this team is serious about making the playoffs... they better get serious about checking Getzlaf, Toews, Kopitar, Thornton etc. They aren't going to do that with Mike Santorelli.

perhaps, but they're not going to do it with Bonino, Vey, Richardson, Matthias either.

and I say that as someone who was happy to get Vey.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Think this team's goal should be to compete for a playoff spot rather than how deep the team could in the post-season (later was a concern for the Gillis years).

Once we get back on track on that; when we can worry about being a threat in the playoffs.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
perhaps, but they're not going to do it with Bonino, Vey, Richardson, Matthias either.

and I say that as someone who was happy to get Vey.

Agreed. If the plan is to have Bonino or Vey or Richardson or Hank or any combination do the "checking" for this team then they are in trouble. This team only makes the playoffs with another really good defensive centre. That gives Bonino and Vey a chance to succeed and gets the twins back to what they do best. If not… we're in trouble.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Think this team's goal should be to compete for a playoff spot rather than how deep the team could in the post-season (later was a concern for the Gillis years).

Once we get back on track on that; when we can worry about being a threat in the playoffs.

Making the playoffs is the pass/fail for management this. Getting out of the first round would just be a bonus. Landing in the deadzone between great picks and playoffs would be a terrible outcome.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
That's likely his role in Toronto... no? Santorelli is a 28 year old reclamation project... I can see why they don't want to invest those minutes in him.

They need to insulate Bonino and Vey with a different kind of player imo

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Richardson-defensive centre-Dorsett

There is no way a 6'4 215 lbs fast and physical nhl vet isn't going to make it in the lineup. It's vey who has to prove he belongs there, not Matthias.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How do you know this?

You're up in arms that I didn't put him in my fake lineup but you're comfortable reading Willie's mind? Doesn't seem right.

Unless you have a quote from Desjardins?

I actually don't care about your fake lineup. I am just saying that due to Matthias' place in the lineup last season, his size and skillset, and his experience, he is penciled into the lineup. He doesn't need to beat Vey, Horvat, or someone with a lesser pedigree or experience. They have to beat him. Do you not understand this concept?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Edit: only thing I can really say about Scurr's lineup is that if neither Matthias nor Richardson play centre this year (for any reason OTHER than Gaunce or Horvat blowing the doors off at camp) I'll eat my hat.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
There is no way a 6'4 215 lbs fast and physical nhl vet isn't going to make it in the lineup. It's vey who has to prove he belongs there, not Matthias.

I actually don't care about your fake lineup. I am just saying that due to Matthias' place in the lineup last season, his size and skillset, and his experience, he is penciled into the lineup. He doesn't need to beat Vey, Horvat, or someone with a lesser pedigree or experience. They have to beat him. Do you not understand this concept?

I get it... you really like Matthias. IMO he should have to compete with guys like Richardson and Dorsett for ice time. Agree to disagree.

Edit: only thing I can really say about Scurr's lineup is that if neither Matthias nor Richardson play centre this year (for any reason OTHER than Gaunce or Horvat blowing the doors off at camp) I'll eat my hat.

This is taken out of context. I wrote that lineup as what I would like to see going into the year. I added an imaginary centre to our team for the purpose of my ideal lineup. Right now the team has no choice but to play one of those guys at centre.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
This is taken out of context. I wrote that lineup as what I would like to see going into the year. I added an imaginary centre to our team for the purpose of my ideal lineup. Right now the team has no choice but to play one of those guys at centre.

Well fair enough. I'd like to see us get a way better centre and relegate Vey to the fourth line, or the wing somewhere.

Maybe we can put an end to all this fussing and trade Matthias for Sean Couturier. :naughty:

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
With Kelser gone the Canucks will need Matthias to be good for them or they will have major problems all year handling the big, skilled forwards in the division. I think he gets third line time if he comes into camp ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad