Speculation: TDL (02/24) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Regarding the Merkley situation, I would guess that he still needs to improve his defensive game and likely is 2 years out. Karlsson, Burns and Merkley all on the right side wont work, so if Merkley ends up panning out there really is no other option but to trade Burns. Ideally we would trade Burns for a 1st, two way #4 RD, and a prospect. Or we could try and get that RD via free agency and ask for a tweener instead.

Burns is on the decline of his career plain and simple. He will still be able to put up 50+ points for a few years but with Karlsson that's really not what we need. Especially if Merkley is able to come in and take over the #2pp so soon.

Per DW jr. he’ll be with the Cuda next year. Those that have been following Merkley with the Knights this year have said that he’s made a considerable leap in his own zone. What DW does with Burns this summer will give us a huge indication of where he believes Ryan is in his development.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
For a team that may be picking in the top-5, we are some shitty sellers so far. LOL.

Trouble is we don't have anything movable of value. Sure Thronton and Marleau should go but those 4th round picks aren't even likely to move the needle of this franchise. I was hoping to see DW take on a bad contract that expires this year to help another team out as I think cap space is this teams biggest TDL asset right now sadly.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'd like to see DW go out and look into a buy low option on Athanasiou or someone like that in addition to selling off Thornton/Marleau/Dell/Melker.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Trouble is we don't have anything movable of value. Sure Thronton and Marleau should go but those 4th round picks aren't even likely to move the needle of this franchise. I was hoping to see DW take on a bad contract that expires this year to help another team out as I think cap space is this teams biggest TDL asset right now sadly.

You are partly right but I think another issue is that everyone is remotely of value is considered to be part of the 'core' by DW.

Labanc, Goodrow, Simek is who I was thinking he may be ok moving but does not look like they will be moved at the TDL. The other bigger pieces are unlikely to be moved at the TDL. I would not be shocked if one of Vlasic, Burns gets moved in the off-season but unlikely it happens at the TDL.

You are right about the cap space part as well. I was hoping he would take on a bad contract but that has not happened yet. I think the issue with that is more to do with the fact that there are not that many bad expiring contracts. Most of them are have atleast 1 year more on the books.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
You are partly right but I think another issue is that everyone is remotely of value is considered to be part of the 'core' by DW.

Labanc, Goodrow, Simek is who I was thinking he may be ok moving but does not look like they will be moved at the TDL. The other bigger pieces are unlikely to be moved at the TDL. I would not be shocked if one of Vlasic, Burns gets moved in the off-season but unlikely it happens at the TDL.

You are right about the cap space part as well. I was hoping he would take on a bad contract but that has not happened yet. I think the issue with that is more to do with the fact that there are not that many bad expiring contracts. Most of them are have atleast 1 year more on the books.

I think the bigger issue with the "core" of team is that they all have NTC. Sure maybe trading Burns makes sense but if he put LA, Ottawa, and Detroit as his three teams they defintely aren't going to acquire him. I would love Jones and Vlasic traded - but they may have negative value (plus NTC).

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hope the Sharks do something, maybe even moving Jumbo and Marleau. I'm not expecting much but this has been such a dismal season that anything that the Sharks do today might actually be a good thing. It will be different at least.

I do have tabs of Dreger and Friedman's twitter feeds open and there is not a lot of activity happening right now. I think in the last few years things start picking up in the last two hours or so. I was impressed with the haul Florida got for Troucheck though.

Last edited:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Pass,
Here is a question.

How would most of you feel if DW traded our 2021 1st round pick for a 'legit' and signed top-6 F?
I want to one day draft a franchise player. Karlsson trade made me realize how dumb it is to trade your 1st when your team is 3 injuries from lottery.

I like karlsson as a player but if we end up winning the lottery the trade will look real bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad