Speculation: TDL (02/24) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Well. I know he does not have an NMC but just seems wrong trading a vet who signed with us at league minimum. Plus I doubt we get more than a 4th or 5th round pick.

Based on DW's history, I highly doubt he is trading Marleau if Marleau has not already been consulted and agreed to be traded. NTC or not

I was actually a bit surprised we had not heard anything on Marleau recently, because although I know he loves SJ, his career is getting mighty close to being over, and if he actually wants a cup, he probably is not doing it here.

Also if he truly loves SJ, helping them get assets while getting a shot at a cup elsewhere would seem like the logical choice.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The Canadiens retain 90% of his cap :naughty:

The only way I entertain taking on Carey Price is if Martin Jones is going the other way. Even then, paying that much for a goalie makes no sense. Wait to see if Jones rebounds this season and try to go the UFA route for a goalie in the 2-3M range (or re-sign Dell). Alternatively, try to get an RFA goalie if possible.

Reactions: themelkman

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

"I only want to play in San Jose"

*2020 Sharks season happens*

"Allow me to reconsider. . ."

I've been so over Marleau since he left the first time, if he wants off the boat again then good f***ing riddance, I hope you're out in the first round again

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I've been so over Marleau since he left the first time, if he wants off the boat again then good f*cking riddance, I hope you're out in the first round again

I know, how selfish of him to want to chase the cup and get us a desperately needed draft pick. Why doesn't he stay with this team as a 40 year, in possibly his last year in the NHL, despite it being far more helpful for the Sharks to trade him?! He's the WORST.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I've been so over Marleau since he left the first time, if he wants off the boat again then good f*cking riddance, I hope you're out in the first round again

would you feel the same way about Jumbo requesting a trade. They’re both 40. Why would you be mad about either chasing a cup instead of playing hockey with the Cuda for the rest of the year? We’d get a couple of mid round picks and they could come back next year if they want. Win/win for both parties

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I know, how selfish of him to want to chase the cup and get us a desperately needed draft pick. Why doesn't he stay with this team as a 40 year, in possibly his last year in the NHL, despite it being far more helpful for the Sharks to trade him?! He's the WORST.

You're right, the 4th round pick we get for him is really gonna turn this whole thing around

I don't think Marleau is selfish for wanting to win, I think he proved himself to be selfish when he chased a paycheck after spending the previous two decades amassing an incredible nest of wealth

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
would you feel the same way about Jumbo requesting a trade. They’re both 40. Why would you be mad about either chasing a cup instead of playing hockey with the Cuda for the rest of the year? We’d get a couple of mid round picks and they could come back next year if they want. Win/win for both parties

If either of them want out then I'm fine with trading them, but I'm not gonna root for them to win

I don't care if either guy wins a cup unless it's with the Sharks, I root for this team, not the players

I feel the same way about Joe Pavelski, if you leave then you're no longer my guy

Reactions: coupe89

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

If anything, I'd be more disappointed in the one who doesn't get traded. Feeds into the narrative of wanting to live in the city rather than try and win a cup.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
The only way I entertain taking on Carey Price is if Martin Jones is going the other way. Even then, paying that much for a goalie makes no sense. Wait to see if Jones rebounds this season and try to go the UFA route for a goalie in the 2-3M range (or re-sign Dell). Alternatively, try to get an RFA goalie if possible.

If we traded both Vlasic and Jones for Price, I think.... yeah I think I would pull the trigger on that. I do not want to pay a goalie 10 mil, however he is unquestionably better than either of our goalies, and in the short term it would actually be a cap saving move, and by the time Price potentially starts falling off, the cap will be significantly higher, where his cap hit might not be quite as debilitating.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
If either of them want out then I'm fine with trading them, but I'm not gonna root for them to win

I don't care if either guy wins a cup unless it's with the Sharks, I root for this team, not the players

I feel the same way about Joe Pavelski, if you leave then you're no longer my guy
so if you have a coworker you really get along with leaves your company because they want a higher pay you instantly don't care about them? You seem like a swell person.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I'd be disappointed if Thornton and Marleau don't want to get traded to a contender. This could be their last season and chance at a cup. Thornton in particular gets a lot of heat for being cupless so you'd think he'd want a crack at it. His kids are a bit older now right? Let Daddy go away for a few months kids. He needs a cup.

Reactions: themelkman

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
so if you have a coworker you really get along with leaves your company because they want a higher pay you instantly don't care about them? You seem like a swell person.

No, because I don't have an irrational fanatical rooting interest in my employer the same way I do in my favorite sports team

I also don't know any of these players personally, if I did and I liked them I might feel different, but in the detached state in which I exist I only root for their laundry

Reactions: BamZoni and slocal

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'd be willing to bet DW has a deal on the table for both Marleau and JT. Just waiting on the other GM's involved to see things his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad