Speculation: TDL (02/24) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not sure if this needed its own thread but figured we should since a lot of discussion is going into the Roster thread.

Also, I was wondering if we are looking at moving Goodrow. I would like him back but with him having a career year and signed for a good contract for another season his value may be at an all time high.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Yes to goodrow. The only players I think we can trade and be willing to part with are: Dillon, melker, goodrow, Dell, lebanc, Sorensen

Unrealistics/If we want a big rebuild: Burns, couture

Only if they want out: Thornton Marleau

Reactions: Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Also wild card is Meier. Dude just doesn't seem to care about hockey anymore/doesn't seem like he's part of the team.

Unfortunately he won't get good return so we have to hope he turns it around or we trade whoever he doesn't like.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Also wild card is Meier. Dude just doesn't seem to care about hockey anymore/doesn't seem like he's part of the team.

Unfortunately he won't get good return so we have to hope he turns it around or we trade whoever he doesn't like.

I don't get him either. His game just looks off. He is not playing physical or skating hard. But I believe it was JTR who posted some stats about him still being one of the better forwards from an advanced stats perspective. So I really don't know what to make of Meier.

This whole year is just been such a mess though, it may be better to hold-on to the talented/skilled guys like Meier to see how they perform next season. Just move anyone on an expiring contract.

Reactions: SharksFan1

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
It’s not good but I think Labanc and Meier are both looking frustrated and disinterested due to the current state of the team. We need some decent roster turnover and a clean slate with a new coaching staff next year to rid the room of this stink

Reactions: fasterthanlight

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Yep, that time of year. I think the following assets are / should be available: Dillon, Melker,
Sorensen, Heed, Noesen and most any of the AHL roster and prospects (e.g. Merkley). From this lets
hope for a 1st round pick this summer and a top line right winger. If Jumbo and Patty want to
try for a cup on a playoff team, move them. I'd try and move Vlasic. The rest of the team / contracts
are for the most part core players for and in which to build with.

I'm keeping Dell as he's the only NHL goalie we have anywhere, Goodrow is really having a break out
year and his contract is decent. I'd also keep LeBanc as he's a pretty good player. Keep Simek.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep, that time of year. I think the following assets are / should be available: Dillon, Melker,
Sorensen, Heed, Noesen and most any of the AHL roster and prospects (e.g. Merkley). From this lets
hope for a 1st round pick this summer and a top line right winger.
If Jumbo and Patty want to
try for a cup on a playoff team, move them. I'd try and move Vlasic. The rest of the team / contracts
are for the most part core players for and in which to build with.

I'm keeping Dell as he's the only NHL goalie we have anywhere, Goodrow is really having a break out
year and his contract is decent. I'd also keep LeBanc as he's a pretty good player. Keep Simek.

I would be shocked if we do NOT have a 1st round pick in this draft. I would add Labanc and Dell to that list of players and take Merkley out. I doubt Merkley's value has anywhere to go but up.

My reasoning with Dell is simple.

1. He will most likely expect a raise next year.
2. We can always re-sign him as a UFA. Plus we will have more choices at a similar level.

My reasoning with Labanc is that I never see him better than a 3rd line player. An excellent one at that, but still a 3rd line player. That being said, I move Labanc only if its a really good return. And I am thinking 1st round pick +.

Between Labanc, Dillon, Melker, Dell I would expect to land a 1st round pick. Add our 2nd round pick there to move up to the 1st round as well.

Honestly, I would not be too surprised if we end up with 2 1st round picks in the draft.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I would be shocked if we do NOT have a 1st round pick in this draft. I would add Labanc and Dell to that list of players and take Merkley out. I doubt Merkley's value has anywhere to go but up.

My reasoning with Dell is simple.

1. He will most likely expect a raise next year.
2. We can always re-sign him as a UFA. Plus we will have more choices at a similar level.

My reasoning with Labanc is that I never see him better than a 3rd line player. An excellent one at that, but still a 3rd line player. That being said, I move Labanc only if its a really good return. And I am thinking 1st round pick +.

Between Labanc, Dillon, Melker, Dell I would expect to land a 1st round pick. Add our 2nd round pick there to move up to the 1st round as well.

Honestly, I would not be too surprised if we end up with 2 1st round picks in the draft.
I'm hoping for 5.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
My goal/hope for the deadline is to move out quite a few players and to get a head start on next season. Picks are great, and the Sharks are certainly in need of more them. My concern is that the team is still fairly incompetent in their drafting ability. And since it sounds like teams are more guarded on moving picks, I’d target prospects and/or younger players with pedigree that haven’t worked out yet, I.E. “post hype” guys.

Dillon- a higher pick package (2nd & 3rd/4th) OR a blue chip forward prospect.
Melker- a mid-round pick OR “post hype” younger forward.
Dell- an earlier-mid round pick.
Sorensen- a late pick OR “post hype” younger forward.
Heed- a late conditional pick.
Gambrell- a swap for another younger, struggling player with some pedigree.
Thornton- a mid round pick, possibly with a condition.
Marleau- a mid round pick, possibly with a condition.
Labanc- a 2020 1st round pick OR a younger RFA goalie with starter potential.

Two deals I’d love to see that we’ve discussed and speculated around here.

-Backes and a 2020 1st for cap dump purposes and maybe a rental forward Melker/Sorensen.
-Burns (@$1m retained) to Dallas for a 2020 1st, Dellandrea, Cogliano, and Polak.

Burns is the one “core” player that I could see DW moving at the deadline. I think he still has value based on his contract, marketability, and league reputation. I could see Timo being moved, too, but given his lack of production this year and looming QO, I think he stays around to try and bounce back next year.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
My goal/hope for the deadline is to move out quite a few players and to get a head start on next season. Picks are great, and the Sharks are certainly in need of more them. My concern is that the team is still fairly incompetent in their drafting ability. And since it sounds like teams are more guarded on moving picks, I’d target prospects and/or younger players with pedigree that haven’t worked out yet, I.E. “post hype” guys.

Dillon- a higher pick package (2nd & 3rd/4th) OR a blue chip forward prospect.
Melker- a mid-round pick OR “post hype” younger forward.
Dell- an earlier-mid round pick.
Sorensen- a late pick OR “post hype” younger forward.
Heed- a late conditional pick.
Gambrell- a swap for another younger, struggling player with some pedigree.
Thornton- a mid round pick, possibly with a condition.
Marleau- a mid round pick, possibly with a condition.
Labanc- a 2020 1st round pick OR a younger RFA goalie with starter potential.

Two deals I’d love to see that we’ve discussed and speculated around here.

-Backes and a 2020 1st for cap dump purposes and maybe a rental forward Melker/Sorensen.
-Burns (@$1m retained) to Dallas for a 2020 1st, Dellandrea, Cogliano, and Polak.

Burns is the one “core” player that I could see DW moving at the deadline. I think he still has value based on his contract, marketability, and league reputation. I could see Timo being moved, too, but given his lack of production this year and looming QO, I think he stays around to try and bounce back next year.
I’ve really thought about the Backes deal but it just doesn’t make sense. With that 6 mil in salary we handcuff ourselves next year and won’t be able to get a new top six forward or goalie. And buying him out only gets us 2 mil off that

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’ve really thought about the Backes deal but it just doesn’t make sense. With that 6 mil in salary we handcuff ourselves next year and won’t be able to get a new top six forward or goalie. And buying him out only gets us 2 mil off that

Yes it absolutely makes sense. You're getting a first round pick for $6M in cap space.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

If we did this deal we'd need cap relief with is If it's part of the deal then we don't get the first as it lessens the value to the Bs. This kind of deal works for teams at the lower end of the cap range, etc.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If we did this deal we'd need cap relief with is If it's part of the deal then we don't get the first as it lessens the value to the Bs. This kind of deal works for teams at the lower end of the cap range, etc.
Exactly. If we were commuting to a rebuild then 100% do it, but we arent. Doug is going to do whatever he can to get us back in it next year and that cap space will be critical

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly, if Boston really is interested in Dillon, the team should be trying to kill two birds with one stone and trade Dillon to Boston in exchange for Backes, their 2020 1st, and a B prospect like Jack Studnicka.

Reactions: Friday

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm down with moving Burns. Sad, but we committed to EK65, and, really, if you're building a team from scratch, you don't have both of them.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Honestly, if Boston really is interested in Dillon, the team should be trying to kill two birds with one stone and trade Dillon to Boston in exchange for Backes, their 2020 1st, and a B prospect like Jack Studnicka.

It needs to be a 3 way deal so as we don't take on Backes anymore than 1M in his cap hit. I don't
mind him on the roster as a 4th liner this / next season.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Really depends on what DW thinks he can or is going to do. If he already has had talks about a deal that moves Jones out or moving Burns out or if Vlasic asks out or whatever then he could devote 4 mil in next year's cap to get a 1st. DW shouldn't be splurging on free agency rather just making value bets. They have about 18 mil before any cap increase to use. It can be done depending on how much turnover DW really is going to do here and how badly he wants to get into the 1st round. I don't think he has to trade for Backes to make that happen because I think he can trade the 2nd he'll get from Dillon and the 2nd they have to move into the 1st round but is it going to be enough for them to get high enough to get one of the good players in this draft? I don't think so but we'll see.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

If we look at it in a vacuum, bringing backs on does mess with next year's cap quite a bit. If it is part of other deals where we know we will be clearing other cap space (one of Jones, Vlasic, Couture or Burns) or have a LaBanc deal for another 1st and cost controlled prospect, it would make more sense. (Basically, if DW looks at 20-21 and knows we can afford the room).

Something along the lines of Backes + 1st + 2021 2nd for Dillon + Sorenson (saves us 1.5 M next year) would work cap-wise

Then turn around and trade LaBanc to a bubble team for their 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad