Speculation: TDL (02/24) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I think DW did good so far!

Players out - Dillion, Marleau and Goodrow.
Assets/Picks back - 1st, 3rd, 3rd and a 4th. LD Davidson.

If this is the end of trade deadline i'm happy with the picks we got. With the exception of
Dillion none of these players are top players. We got allot back!

Davidson is a depth player so i'm meh on him.

ops, remove one of those 3rd as its to the bolts.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You have to remember these are real people and this isn't a video game. Trading Dell for a late pick would be pretty senseless. Morale and culture are real things that you have to consider.

By all accounts, he is a really well-liked guy by his teammates. He has brought some stability to the goalie position which any hockey player would tell you is the position you don't want to tamper with. This is a good situation for Dell to build up his value as a 1A starter in a lost season, and it would reflect poorly on the org to cut him for scraps.

Korenar and Sawchenko are barely hanging on in the AHL, I doubt either would be ready to even be NHL back-ups at the moment.

Trading Dell for a 4th or a 5th would've been fine. Morale and culture don't mean much when they traded Marleau and were absolutely talking about trading Thornton, traded Dillon, and traded Goodrow. All three guys were very good culture/morale guys to varying degrees. Dell wouldn't have been a bridge too far on that front. I don't think it's a good idea to invest much of anything into Dell moving forward and it's likely better for the team at this point to give more opportunities to Jones to figure out his game at least to the extent that he's possibly tradeable with the right type of sweetener. It would've been fine to call up Korenar as a bench warmer until either someone is available on waivers or one can be brought in to sign for the rest of the season.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So Carolina really went all in on defense and other trades only to totally ignore their gaping hole in net? How could we not have pawned off Dell for a 3rd or 4th rounder when they are going to be starting Anton Forsberg and another goalie with a .905 AHL save percentage for the rest of the season? I don't get the thought process by either side here. We have an expiring asset and they have a well-determined need for said asset...

Reactions: themelkman

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Trading Dell for a 4th or a 5th would've been fine. Morale and culture don't mean much when they traded Marleau and were absolutely talking about trading Thornton, traded Dillon, and traded Goodrow. All three guys were very good culture/morale guys to varying degrees. Dell wouldn't have been a bridge too far on that front. I don't think it's a good idea to invest much of anything into Dell moving forward and it's likely better for the team at this point to give more opportunities to Jones to figure out his game at least to the extent that he's possibly tradeable with the right type of sweetener. It would've been fine to call up Korenar as a bench warmer until either someone is available on waivers or one can be brought in to sign for the rest of the season.

Yep. I think it would really have been a win-win. You give a chance to Jones and see if he can rebound. OR you get to see if any of your AHL goalies are close to being ready for duties at the NHL level. Dell has been a decent backup this year but we need an upgrade over that for next season. Whether that comes from Jones rebounding or a different goalie (trade/FA) is something we can address in the off-season.

Reactions: Nighthock

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I think DW did good so far!

Players out - Dillion, Marleau and Goodrow.
Assets/Picks back - 1st, 3rd, 3rd and a 4th. LD Davidson.

If this is the end of trade deadline i'm happy with the picks we got. With the exception of
Dillion none of these players are top players. We got allot back!

Davidson is a depth player so i'm meh on him.

Need to adjust one of those 3rd's to a 2nd from the Dillon trade. Also we gave up a 3rd in the Goody trade.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Big if tru

It’s not so simple as finding a trade for Thornton. It has to be a situation he is willing to go to and it has to be for something of value. If the teams he liked were offering dick Doug isn’t going to just give him away. And if the teams he liked couldn’t make it work for cap purposes or weren’t willing to give up much then it’s not surprising he’s still a Shark.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It’s not so simple as finding a trade for Thornton. It has to be a situation he is willing to go to and it has to be for something of value. If the teams he liked were offering dick Doug isn’t going to just give him away. And if the teams he liked couldn’t make it work for cap purposes or weren’t willing to give up much then it’s not surprising he’s still a Shark.
Piece that makes no sense is that Dallas really wanted him and he was rumored to be fine going there and no deal happened. That’s where I take it as Thornton didn’t want to be moved very much. Maybe it was just Boston he was willing to go to, but he was hesitant all along that he’d go anywhere so I have a hard time imagining he all of a sudden today was all in on going to a contender. Feels like trying to save face on the Thornton camps end.

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
f*** that. Give him away if he wants to go he deserves that much, he’s earned it

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Piece that makes no sense is that Dallas really wanted him and he was rumored to be fine going there and no deal happened. That’s where I take it as Thornton didn’t want to be moved very much. Maybe it was just Boston he was willing to go to, but he was hesitant all along that he’d go anywhere so I have a hard time imagining he all of a sudden today was all in on going to a contender. Feels like trying to save face on the Thornton camps end.
Yes there’s more to it, how can thornton essentially say I would prefer to live and die with this team instead of win. Media would shred him unfortunately

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yes there’s more to it, how can thornton essentially say I would prefer to live and die with this team instead of win. Media would shred him unfortunately
he has essentially said that over and over again if anyone was listening. My guess is that Dallas offered up trash and DW gave them the finger

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The reality is Jumbo is a slow bottom six center who doesn't kill penalties and is currently producing under 0.5 points per game. Not many contenders are going to offer a lot even with 50% retention.

I love Jumbo but it's easy to see why the top teams were going to be hesitant to put him in the line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad