Confirmed with Link: TDA -1m, 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
OK, I think your last sentence is extremely fair and a deeper dive into what was actually said is totally warranted. But hold up -- I'm still asking you to find where I reported, as fact, that this was a racial slur. I never did that, and I think at this point we're losing the plot here entirely.

I gotta go for now, but can I just say politics aside I was not expecting his actual voice to sound THAT MUCH like Trump's, lol.
in your article. you refer to it as initially as merely a "slur" and then later as a "racial slur."

edit: nevermind. no point in getting mad at people online.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
That's what I appreciate about it. It's cool to have a community based on discussion and anonymity where people really are free to say whatever without getting "dunked on" and without character constraints. The level of discussion about actual hockey things here is so good. I'm not constantly lurking or anything but it can be a great escape from Twitter when people are just saying things that are part of their own personal brand they've curated, or whatever. It kind of feels like a final frontier of a digital place to discuss hockey like you would in a bar. And that's why I take zero offense to anything said about me here. There's rarely a personal attack about my looks or whatever, if you don't like me you just genuinely don't like me, and that is very refreshing. That's all I ask, lol

I take a dim view of your politics, the way you choose to infuse them into your coverage of sports, and the frivolous manner in which you communicate on Twitter.

However, I am impressed with this statement. It speaks to a maturity and understanding I didn't think you possessed. Well played.

saraciv420

Nov 20, 2019
in your article. you refer to it as initially as merely a "slur" and then later as a "racial slur."

Yeah, that was in response to his own admittance, not my personal judgement of what he said. And to be fair to him AND myself, I think these zoom interviews make everything worse. There's no room for me to follow up with anything or for him to stumble. I felt sort of bad for Waddell during all of this because of that -- Dundon should've had to answer for this, IMO.

I'll leave you with this: I can't wait to get back in the locker room and start talking to guys one-on-one for context. If this was a one-on-one in person, I'd have asked him to clarify what he said without a bunch of cameras around and things being recorded. I'm hoping this will be allowed next season.

saraciv420

Nov 20, 2019
I take a dim view of your politics, the way you choose to infuse them into your coverage of sports, and the frivolous manner in which you communicate on Twitter.

However, I am impressed with this statement. It speaks to a maturity and understanding I didn't think you possessed. Well played.

It's amazing what you can do on a platform with more than 260 characters, when you're not constantly being attacked lol. I'm very hostile and aggressive on Twitter because I wake up already feeling like I'm on the defense. That's not who I am and it gives me anxiety. It's an incredibly toxic atmosphere, but also every time I tweet something wild I get, like, 500 more followers?

I will ACTUALLY leave you with this: I haven't talked about it yet, but I extended my contract for two more years. In that contract we're working towards more podcasts and audio stuff, where I can really get my thoughts out there in a way Twitter doesn't let me. And let my Canadian colleagues know how wrong they are about Raleigh.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's amazing what you can do on a platform with more than 260 characters, when you're not constantly being attacked lol. I'm very hostile and aggressive on Twitter because I wake up already feeling like I'm on the defense. That's not who I am and it gives me anxiety. It's an incredibly toxic atmosphere, but also every time I tweet something wild I get, like, 500 more followers?

I will ACTUALLY leave you with this: I haven't talked about it yet, but I extended my contract for two more years. In that contract we're working towards more podcasts and audio stuff, where I can really get my thoughts out there in a way Twitter doesn't let me. And let my Canadian colleagues know how wrong they are about Raleigh.
Negan4coach is like the boards version of Mikey, he hates (or rather is disgusted by) everything.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

I don't know how you do it with Twitter. It's impossible to have a conversation, it's just hordes of people lining up to dunk on each other.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Congrats on the contract extension! Obviously, you're not going to win everyone over, but at least IMO, you've been a breath of fresh air for Canes coverage.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

edit: nevermind. no point in getting mad at people online.

Is there like a go fund me or something where we can get you a keyboard with a functional shift key?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Anyways, cheers
@saraciv420 I am a subscriber to The Athletic and do indeed like your work. I also realize that Twitter (where I both lurk and occasionally post) is the definition of a shit show. It's that masochist in me that brings me back.

Seriously, I am glad you come by HF and would like to see/hear your perspective more often.

Finally, one of the things I appreciate are alternative and differing views. There was a time when "agreeing to disagree" was an acceptable behavior which seems to have gotten lost in these times we're in.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Tell me you’ve been on these boards for less than 10 years WITHOUT TELLING ME you’ve been on these boards for less than 10 years.
Ohh I'm very well aware of the history of the lack of punctuation. I thought maybe there could be a moment of personal growth.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Did Civ just break her contract extension right here on hcanes board? We've got that #insider information.

well, that and she's apparently a fellow aficionado

images

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Hello folks, finally got around to reading this and I have to say 1. I appreciate this discussion about my reasoning/reporting far more than other discussions I've seen elsewhere. I think it's fair, and I think you should be questioning me. I also think the person who said I'm confused if I want to be a social media personality or a professional beat writer is absolutely correct -- I am confused about that in navigating the current media landscape. I love writing stories, I hate day-to-day stuff, and I simply cannot shut up when it comes to giving my opinion. I also wanted to say 2. if you don't want me hanging around here and occasionally popping in I'll delete my account, not trying to be a hall monitor or call people out for anything, but sometimes I like to get story ideas/etc. from here because there is often a lot of really insightful back-and-forth that makes me think differently than the hivemind of Twitter.

I did want to address the ethnic vs. racial slur thing: I referred to it as a "racial slur" while questioning Tony and he didn't correct me, so then I went "slur" in the story. I want to make it clear that in no part of my reporting did I call him a racist, and I get there can be splitting hairs when it comes to these definitions. I simply referred to it as a "slur" in the story. I also wanted to say the story mentioned nothing about his politics, just that he engaged in a politically charged conversation with a fan that resulted in him urging the fan to find him outside of MSG. (The Hurricanes' signing of Tony DeAngelo was a choice — and one that could change the perception of the team).

If I needed everyone in hockey to agree with my admittedly radical political views I'd be very disappointed. As I've tweeted, it'd be extremely naïve to assume even half of any NHL locker room is liberal. That was never the issue, and no one has to agree with me about politics. The main red flags for me, as I hope the article represented if you read it in good faith, are the temper, fan relations, and the fact that he was literally waived by a team less than a year ago. How does that not raise some eyebrows?

I was actually going into that press conference hoping he had changed and the Canes had more to say than they did. That press conference was on them, not Tony. I respected Tony for answering questions head on although I sincerely don't believe he's "changed" because I wasn't presented with enough evidence. I am open to the possibility that he has, though. I don't think Bear should have been questioned about this but the response was encouraging, and I tweeted it out for that reason.

And finally, you'll notice in my tweets about the Virtanen situation I was Careful to say "THE CANES say the team never had interest in Virtanen." A source not with the Canes is the one who told me and the multiple reporters who tweeted the initial reports that the Canes were interested. I'm still working on figuring out the truth there, but the Canes saying they weren't interested doesn't mean enough to me to throw that all out the window.

Anyways, cheers

Can only speak for myself, but I appreciate your desire to clarify your perspective and interact with us hoi polloi. I'd encourage you to frequent this board regularly and chime in as much as you please. I do have 2 very unrelated questions for you:
  1. can you think of any answer from TDA that people with concerns about his character would take as evidence that he's changed? Maybe it's the cynic in me, but the "better" an answer he gave the more it would have made me think it came directly from a p.r. advisor and therefore not of much merit. To my mind, only his actions over time will convince me that he's grown/ learned. For the record, I'm not a TDA fan but I trust that the Borg has performed some reasonable level of diligence before making it's decision, with a lot of weight probably behind interviews with former teammates. It's done, so I'll keep an open mind as best I can and see what happens.
  2. in another post you mentioned personal attacks about your looks. I really don't do twitter except to pop in on the occasional linked tweet so I'm curious: wtf is up with that?

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Fair enough. When Twitter was first invented I immediately recognized it for what it truly was- a weapons platform. It has not disappointed.

These old school message boards are really the last vestiges of any meaningful discourse online.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hello folks, finally got around to reading this and I have to say 1. I appreciate this discussion about my reasoning/reporting far more than other discussions I've seen elsewhere. I think it's fair, and I think you should be questioning me. I also think the person who said I'm confused if I want to be a social media personality or a professional beat writer is absolutely correct -- I am confused about that in navigating the current media landscape. I love writing stories, I hate day-to-day stuff, and I simply cannot shut up when it comes to giving my opinion. I also wanted to say 2. if you don't want me hanging around here and occasionally popping in I'll delete my account, not trying to be a hall monitor or call people out for anything, but sometimes I like to get story ideas/etc. from here because there is often a lot of really insightful back-and-forth that makes me think differently than the hivemind of Twitter.

I did want to address the ethnic vs. racial slur thing: I referred to it as a "racial slur" while questioning Tony and he didn't correct me, so then I went "slur" in the story. I want to make it clear that in no part of my reporting did I call him a racist, and I get there can be splitting hairs when it comes to these definitions. I simply referred to it as a "slur" in the story. I also wanted to say the story mentioned nothing about his politics, just that he engaged in a politically charged conversation with a fan that resulted in him urging the fan to find him outside of MSG. (The Hurricanes' signing of Tony DeAngelo was a choice — and one that could change the perception of the team).

If I needed everyone in hockey to agree with my admittedly radical political views I'd be very disappointed. As I've tweeted, it'd be extremely naïve to assume even half of any NHL locker room is liberal. That was never the issue, and no one has to agree with me about politics. The main red flags for me, as I hope the article represented if you read it in good faith, are the temper, fan relations, and the fact that he was literally waived by a team less than a year ago. How does that not raise some eyebrows?

I was actually going into that press conference hoping he had changed and the Canes had more to say than they did. That press conference was on them, not Tony. I respected Tony for answering questions head on although I sincerely don't believe he's "changed" because I wasn't presented with enough evidence. I am open to the possibility that he has, though. I don't think Bear should have been questioned about this but the response was encouraging, and I tweeted it out for that reason.

And finally, you'll notice in my tweets about the Virtanen situation I was Careful to say "THE CANES say the team never had interest in Virtanen." A source not with the Canes is the one who told me and the multiple reporters who tweeted the initial reports that the Canes were interested. I'm still working on figuring out the truth there, but the Canes saying they weren't interested doesn't mean enough to me to throw that all out the window.

Anyways, cheers

Not at all, I'm very much a fan of allowing people their say as much as possible and that would include you, Luke, or anyone else that happens to read the board and come up with an idea for a column. I personally enjoy the fact that you don't mind dropping by here to clarify stuff from time to time and it makes for some lively discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad