Confirmed with Link: [TBL/VGK] Gusev, 2017 2nd, 2018 4th to select Garrison in 2017 Vegas Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hi y'all

Came in to ask about Jason Garrison... to get a scouting report..

What is his speed like? and Can he play Defense? :laugh:

He was great when he came over, but last year was pretty terrible. If he doesn't bounce back, you're dealing with a Dman who can't really keep up anymore.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The package wasn't just Garrison as a cap dump. It was also to keep LV from taking either Koekkoek or Dotchin. We basically traded them for two extra protection spots, and then something extra to take Garrison off our hands. I think we were kidding ourselves to think it was going to be cheap.
I feel like the smart move would've been to have traded Killorn to select Garrison so that Gourde could take his spot and we'd have even more cap freed up. Also, Kucherov could've called Gusev after dinner and been like:

Kucherov: "Goose. He's gone. You come to Lightning now. I tell Steve. Bring the vodka."

Gusev: "k baby"

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He was great when he came over, but last year was pretty terrible. If he doesn't bounce back, you're dealing with a Dman who can't really keep up anymore.

Thanks ... I thought he was a good pickup when he first got there as well.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Hi y'all

Has a bomb for a shot but misses the net a lot. Very good 5th or 6th d man lost a step last year! Not really a top 4 guy anymore. I think he will be solid for vegas seems like he will have a good d partner which will help.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like the smart move would've been to have traded Killorn to select Garrison so that Gourde could take his spot and we'd have even more cap freed up. Also, Kucherov could've called Gusev after dinner and been like:

Kucherov: "Goose. He's gone. You come to Lightning now. I tell Steve. Bring the vodka."

Gusev: "k baby"

That's asking LV to take on 9m of salary. Killorn would probably be viewed as a cap dump too. Moving both of them would likely have cost even more.

The other thing is, this was our only shot to get rid of Garrison because of his NTC, McPhee knew that, and he probably squeezed Yzerman for everything he could.

Yzerman's playing the same game as the rest of them. He takes his lumps too when it's his turn. It was his turn tonight.

I feel like the deal had to be made. Steep, sure, but like I said, this was the only way we were freeing up Garrison's money. What we do with it might be the difference between another sub-par year and a good one.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
The package wasn't just Garrison as a cap dump. It was also to keep LV from taking either Koekkoek or Dotchin. We basically traded them for two extra protection spots, and then something extra to take Garrison off our hands. I think we were kidding ourselves to think it was going to be cheap.

A 2nd round pick OR Gusev is more than fair to move a guy like Garrison. WTF am I the only one who thinks there is another shoe to drop tomorrow. You guys are depressing me. Vegas can’t announce trades (what is going out) until tomorrow. I’m not going to be critical until I see what happens tomorrow.

Nate Schmidt to Tampa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A 2nd round pick OR Gusev is more than fair to move a guy like Garrison. WTF am I the only one who thinks there is another shoe to drop tomorrow. You guys are depressing me. Vegas can’t announce trades (what is going out) until tomorrow. I’m not going to be critical until I see what happens tomorrow.

Nate Schmidt to Tampa.

Maybe. But why announce the part of the deal that's going to LV? Why not hold that entire part as a separate deal until tomorrow?

I'm stuck on the theory that McPhee knew he had Yzerman in a bad negotiating position. This is our only chance to get Garrison off the books because of Garrison's NTC. There's no reason for McPhee to do Yzerman any favors here. We got squeezed because we were desperate to move the contract. And there's no other way for us to move it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Nate Schmidt to Tampa.

I don't think anything is coming back to Tampa! But I would have put a condition in that if gusev signs with vegas they give us a 2nd rounder back at least. It's simple McPhee had yzerman in a tough spot! Said if you don't want to lose a player you like negotiate your way out and yzerman did! So fans should be happy he kept koekoekk and dotchin.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Hi y'all

He's definitely not quick on his feet but he can still be a solid contributor. He had a rough first half when paired with Sustr which was a disaster. In the second half of the year he was decent when paired with Stralman so he needs a steady partner next to him. He's got a big shot, I'm surprised

We will see. There is a bigger picture though that is beyond what happens tomorrow. Lots of time to make this team better before the puck drops next season.

The Fil, Drouin, and the expansion trades are setting something up. The last two off seasons we haven't seen Yzerman do anything at the draft or free agency because of what the team did in the postseason, that's going to change this year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He's definitely not quick on his feet but he can still be a solid contributor. He had a rough first half when paired with Sustr which was a disaster. In the second half of the year he was decent when paired with Stralman so he needs a steady partner next to him. He's got a big shot, I'm surprised

The Fil, Drouin, and the expansion trades are setting something up. The last two off seasons we haven't seen Yzerman do anything at the draft or free agency because of what the team did in the postseason, that's going to change this year.

Got to think Stevie y adds Brian Boyle and a vet d man but not shattenkirk he will cost to much .

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Maybe. But why announce the part of the deal that's going to LV? Why not hold that entire part as a separate deal until tomorrow?

I'm stuck on the theory that McPhee knew he had Yzerman in a bad negotiating position. This is our only chance to get Garrison off the books because of Garrison's NTC. There's no reason for McPhee to do Yzerman any favors here. We got squeezed because we were desperate to move the contract. And there's no other way for us to move it.

Because no trades can be announced until the trade freeze is over… tomorrow. At least five Dmen on that Vegas roster are going to be traded. They were not allowed to announce them, by the rules. Several trades will be announced tomorrow. Maybe I’m wrong and we had to pay a buttload move Garrison’s contract. I still think something is coming back.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Got to think Stevie y adds Brian Boyle and a vet d man but not shattenkirk he will cost to much .

I am losing faith in the Stevie Y magic. Just like the Rays had a full cupboard 10 years ago, he/we burned through that youth and are now stuck with $ problems and fewer resources.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Well, the loss of Garrison was expected (and unfortunately needed for cap space) but that's a lot of picks. Gusev probably won't be playing in the NHL for at least another year, perhaps two even if he decides to give up a lucrative KHL contract for western pastures.

But I still believe in Yzerman and am looking forward, not only to tomorrow when the trade/signing freeze is lifted but to the upcoming draft and FA.

I just hope he does NOT go for Shattenkirk because I think Shatty wants BIG money to be a #1D somewhere and we've already got one of the best #1Ds in the league in Heddy. I'd rather we get a good solid competent #3/4 second pairing Dman replacement for Garrison.

The next couple of days/weeks are going to be crazy! :popcorn:

I will miss Garrison's huge shot, magnificent beard and what a just plain good guy he was for this team and community. Good luck, Gary!

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
That's asking LV to take on 9m of salary. Killorn would probably be viewed as a cap dump too. Moving both of them would likely have cost even more.

The other thing is, this was our only shot to get rid of Garrison because of his NTC, McPhee knew that, and he probably squeezed Yzerman for everything he could.

Yzerman's playing the same game as the rest of them. He takes his lumps too when it's his turn. It was his turn tonight.

I feel like the deal had to be made. Steep, sure, but like I said, this was the only way we were freeing up Garrison's money. What we do with it might be the difference between another sub-par year and a good one.
I'd say Killorn would've been one of the bigger names selected or acquired considering some of the picks they went with. I understand that would've been a lot, just wish it would've worked out differently I guess.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think I am just shocked at how much it costs in assets to dump a contract. Anyone remember when we traded a routinely scratched Eric Brewer and his cap hit for a third round pick? Those days are long gone.

The most important part of being a GM now is finding team friendly deals. It's way more important than winning a trade or making good picks in the draft, although obviously that helps achieve the same thing, its much easier to limit the damage on a bad trade or draft selection. Especially when you weigh the short term benefits that team control gives you versus the long term damage handing out a Callahan-esque contract has on you.

On a tangent, there is now extra emphasis on rushing prospects to the NHL once they've lost their junior eligibility. Kind of like how in baseball teams can retain control of their prospects depending on length of service in the majors, our best asset this off season wasn't Drouin, it was Point because we can expect cheap production from him for at least 2 more years, and discounted production for another 4

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
rER36Bv.png

Garrison looks stoked and happy. Not.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
The thing I'm scared about is why are we clearing so much cap space this year? We are really fine till kucherov needs a new deal.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The thing I'm scared about is why are we clearing so much cap space this year? We are really fine till kucherov needs a new deal.

Out with the old and troubled. Try to make the team better if you can. You have the option at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad