Confirmed with Link: [TBL/VGK] Gusev, 2017 2nd, 2018 4th to select Garrison in 2017 Vegas Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Guess we'll have to wait and see what Yzerman does this offseason before I complain. I got over the Drouin deal pretty quick but know the big whole that leaves our offence.

C'mon Yzerman do you magic and make this team a contender

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Guess we'll have to wait and see what Yzerman does this offseason before I complain. I got over the Drouin deal pretty quick but know the big whole that leaves our offence.

C'mon Yzerman do you magic and make this team a contender

He's done it before. Twice to be exact. Both times very few people actually thought TB would be as relevant as they ended up being. Back in 2011 who thought they would be in the ECF? 2015 I thought we would take a step forward from being swept against Montreal and we end up in the Cup Finals. Before that thought it would take some time for our team to grow up before actually making the playoffs. Nope make it that year. SY has cap space again. It's going to be a very interesting offseason. I can't wait. Who knows it could start tomorrow when trades resume.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Right and how do you know that? It'd be nice to play on the same team with your best friend but playing on a successful line trumps that when you're actually playing hockey. Was MSL going to leave Vinny and Tampa to go play with Perrin?

So you're saying Vegas doesn't have a more enticing offer if they get his 2 linemates? I disagree completely but you're right about the 2nd part he can just milk it in the KHL until he hits UFA considering his stock just went up with all the departures.

His best friend is Nikita Kucherov...

Glad you brought up Perrin-MSL. He did sign with the Lightning, and it was a great fit for him. The two situations are good comparables.

Dadonov hasn't signed with any team yet. If he does go to LV, I do think you make a better case for Gusev coming over. Last I heard he wanted to sign east. I don't know what Gusev is going to do, I'm not speaking in absolutes. The Lightning situation would have been a much better fit for him though in terms of need, winning, and earning a pay day. He may decide none of that matters. There is a need in the top 6 for the Bolts now and he'd have a chance to play with someone whom he has shown great chemistry with already. Now, he'd better hope Dadonov signs with LV and the McPhee builds quickly.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why not just protect Dotchin and then just give VGK a 4th not to take koekkoek?

The plan was to gain some cap space. We could have exposed Killorn but Yzerman and Cooper really like Killorn. I don't understand it personally but if I had to understand it they like him because of his clutch play in the playoffs and he's a skilled bigger body which is also important in the playoffs. If Killorn just gets a bit more consistent his contract isn't so bad. Garrison was flat out our worst player with that cap hit. Gusev is gone. Time to move on from that.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Vegas picked up 14 Dmen. They need to move a bunch. One has to be coming back our way to make this thing even make sense. My hope is Nate Schmidt. Let’s face it, if nothing comes back tomorrow, this deal is horrible.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/...-frees-up-cap-space-for-lightning/c-290051440
Following the announcement, Tampa Bay general manager Steve Yzerman said losing Garrison was difficult, but the Lightning are in a better place now salary cap-wise.

"We knew we were going to lose a player, and we felt like, taking everything into consideration, the salary cap, our short-term and long-term needs, our defense group, our forward group, we really felt that gives us the best option to free up cap space and gives us some flexibility to entertain other ideas and also we're giving younger (defensemen) an opportunity to play a significant role on our team."
"He's been an excellent player for us, played a significant role on our blue line, a significant role in our top four and he's been a first class teammate and person in our community," Yzerman said. "We're really sad to see him leave because he's exactly the type of person and player we want to keep in our organization. We wish him good luck. We're grateful for everything he did for our organization. But again, our players all knew, we all have to lose a player. Nobody was really sure what was going to happen. We're disappointed we have to lose Jason. He's a really good man. He's been a great player for us and he's had good success in the three years he's been with us."
"It gives us cap space to do some things," Yzerman said. "I can't guarantee what will get done, but it gives us cap space to do that. Our hope is to sign our upcoming RFAs, and that's our goal. But even signing those players, we need to still fill our roster and make our team as competitive as possible. So we need as much cap space as possible to do that."

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
His best friend is Nikita Kucherov...

Glad you brought up Perrin-MSL. He did sign with the Lightning, and it was a great fit for him. The two situations are good comparables.

Dadonov hasn't signed with any team yet. If he does go to LV, I do think you make a better case for Gusev coming over. Last I heard he wanted to sign east. I don't know what Gusev is going to do, I'm not speaking in absolutes. The Lightning situation would have been a much better fit for him though in terms of need, winning, and earning a pay day. He may decide none of that matters. There is a need in the top 6 for the Bolts now and he'd have a chance to play with someone whom he has shown great chemistry with already. Now, he'd better hope Dadonov signs with LV and the McPhee builds quickly.

Yea that roster doesn't look that great as of now. Not sure if Vegas played this draft the best way they could have. Again still up to be seen. I just can't get myself to overreact to these things unless I see everything unfold. Just the way I am.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
The plan was to gain some cap space. We could have exposed Killorn but Yzerman and Cooper really like Killorn. I don't understand it personally but if I had to understand it they like him because of his clutch play in the playoffs and he's a skilled bigger body which is also important in the playoffs. If Killorn just gets a bit more consistent his contract isn't so bad. Garrison was flat out our worst player with that cap hit. Gusev is gone. Time to move on from that.

Hoping Kuch calling him out opens his eyes. He is a good player that just got lazy last season. The guy went to Harvard, he has to have an internal fire to be better.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Vegas picked up 14 Dmen. They need to move a bunch. One has to be coming back our way to make this thing even make sense. My hope is Nate Schmidt. Let’s face it, if nothing comes back tomorrow, this deal is horrible.

Really you are judging it on what happens tomorrow? Not like we didn't just get some cap space to play with when FA opens in a few weeks.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hoping Kuch calling him out opens his eyes. He is a good player that just got lazy last season. The guy went to Harvard, he has to have an internal fire to be better.

Honestly don't know what happened to him last year. Didn't look like himself at all. He could still win us over. Would be thrilled to see him "kill" it next year.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Really you are judging it on what happens tomorrow? Not like we didn't just get some cap space to play with when FA opens in a few weeks.

Come on, Bolland as a cap dump got moved for a top prospect similar to Gusev. And Garrison is more serviceable than him. It should have only taken a 2nd or Gusev, not that whole package. Something is coming back. Have a little faith.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Come on, Bolland as a cap dump got moved for a top prospect similar to Gusev. And Garrison is more serviceable than him. It should have only taken a 2nd or Gusev, not that whole package. Something is coming back. Have a little faith.

We will see. There is a bigger picture though that is beyond what happens tomorrow. Lots of time to make this team better before the puck drops next season.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
We will see. There is a bigger picture though that is beyond what happens tomorrow. Lots of time to make this team better before the puck drops next season.

McPhee would not have taken 14 Dmen unless he had some pre-arranged flips set up. He loses leverage if it is not pre-arranged and he lets it get close to waiver wire. He needs to move at least five or lose them to waivers. One of the only teams that clearly overpaid was Tampa. We are getting a Dman tomorrow. If not I’ll do mea culpas but I have some belief.

Also, anyone who thinks McPhee just took Gusev in the blind, not knowing if he would come over, is nuts. All he had to do was ask his teammate Ship, let alone talk to his camp. I predict Gusev ends up in Vegas and Tampa gets a Dman out of this deal.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Then who do they take? Paquette? Brown? Sustr?

Yzerman wants to make a splash in FA. Need to free up funds.

Probably would have had to give something not to take Coburn, and then Gusev to take Garrison. The question, I guess, is, did it cost us less (4th, by your assumption) to protect Koekkoek than it would have to protect Coburn.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hi y'all

Came in to ask about Jason Garrison... to get a scouting report..

What is his speed like? and Can he play Defense? :laugh:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
They just traded Kucherov's best friend and now he loses the ability to sweet talk him into Tampa. Take it for what it's worth, from Kuch's point of view this season has a bunch of "business" decisions conflicting his personal ones.

1. Signs team friendly deal to compete for the cup, team misses the playoffs.
  2. His close friend Nesterov gets traded mid-season.
  3. End of season rant about Killorn, Killorn gets protected and still remains on the roster, says playing with Drouin was good, Drouin is traded.
  4. Gusev's rights to the VGK.

Depending on how the next 2 years go and who signs in Vegas, I'm legitimately worried about retaining Kuch.
Avoided this forum and other sites all day til I watched it on replay from recording it. Came in to post something similar to this. You nailed it imo. Pretty disappointed right now. He may not have ever joined the team, but I have a feeling in 2018 he will be joining Vegas. They have plenty of options to clear cap and pay him with the snap of a finger to entice him, as well as other teammates being there already. I also think Kucherov has to be pretty pissed. This is not just hockey business but mentally, put yourself in his shoes. He knows people, indirectly Killorn perhaps, got paid and cruised to the 82 game mark and voiced his opinion on it. Killorn is protected and Drouin, one of the best forwards to come through our organization in years, probably the best not named Kucherov in his time here, and he's traded...to keep Killorn... and then Garrison is traded and a close friends rights are moved as well. I don't care how professional one tries to remain, this definitely has not made things better. SY said when Kucherov spoke out that he's try to keep Kucherov as happy as possible (along those lines)...well, there went that for now.
I just feel like he could have said

"... and you draft Sustr."
Lmao, this was an amazing post.

I'm actually more sad to lose Garrison. Not because he is still a good player but he's actually had some really good times with this team. That OT goal against the Isles last year stands out right now.
Same. I've always appreciated Garrison and defended him a lot on these boards. He was steady for us early on but the last 1.5 years has been rough watching him slow down and be on the bad end of goals. I will always remember that shot as well. I was so happy for him and the team at that moment. That goal and post game celebration from that game were memories I'll always have of the Lightning and it was because of him that game. Yzerman said it well regarding him as a person.

I will lose support for Yzerman if he throws a 7x7 to Shattenkirk. He is not as good as people make him out to be. He's good, but I don't see top pairing material and he's wanting top pairing money. I think he's going to regret making that contract if it comes out to anything over 6m by anything over 5 years. It's truly cringe worthy that it seems like it's setting up for a run at Shattenkirk. Let the Rangers or somebody else have him. We desperately need a top 6 winger and a defenseman now. I also agree with the irritated posters saying we are losing talent on this roster. We are. The fact that we made this move tonight makes the Drouin trade hurt even more. We should be contending for a cup, not trying to be the Sharks of the East. We lost nearly 5m when we could've spent nearly 1 million and kept Drouin. I really don't like these two moves hand in hand.

I'm going to be patient and see how the week and draft plays out, but I'm pretty disappointed tonight.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The package wasn't just Garrison as a cap dump. It was also to keep LV from taking either Koekkoek or Dotchin. We basically traded them for two extra protection spots, and then something extra to take Garrison off our hands. I think we were kidding ourselves to think it was going to be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad