Confirmed with Link: [TBL/VGK] Gusev, 2017 2nd, 2018 4th to select Garrison in 2017 Vegas Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Today the gm's were told they could protect 7 forwards 3 defenseman and one goalie for expansion for the 2017-2018 season with Las Vegas entering maybe as well as another team. So at worst the Lightning could only lose two players total. Who would you protect ? Other option was you can protect 8 forwards and two defenseman and one goalie.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
After months of internal vetting, the NHL informed all 30 GMs of an outline for a potential expansion draft on Wednesday, should the league decide to expand by one or two teams this summer.

The exact details still need to be brokered with the NHLPA, but the general gist left most GMs relieved. The expansion draft process was the hot-button issue for teams heading into this week’s meetings; they all recognized a $500-million expansion fee would buy a strong inaugural roster at the expense of the current 30.

Teams under the current plan could protect seven forwards, three defencemen and one goaltender or eight skaters (of any position) and a goaltender. That means each team would be subject to losing either a top-four defenceman or a third-line forward should the NHL expand by one team.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-presents-potential-expansion-draft-plans-1.454239

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Assuming Stamkos is gone anyway! Protect Johnson, kucherov, palat, drouin, vladdy namestnikov, Killorn and jt brown. Defenseman hedman, stralman and coburn. I'm assuming koekkoek and deangelo are to young to get claimed by expansion not enough pro years unsure ? Goalie to protect vasilevskiy.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The first that came to mind as being expendable by 2017 were Flip and Cally, if they're still here.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The first that came to mind as being expendable by 2017 were Flip and Cally, if they're still here.

Cally will still be here, his NMC goes until Summer 2018.

Also, Cally does not need protection, his NMC protects him from an expansion draft if it is in 2017.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Cally will still be here, his NMC goes until Summer 2018.

Also, Cally does not need protection, his NMC protects him from an expansion draft if it is in 2017.

Pretty sure that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Relevant:
http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-expansion-and-expansion-draft-notes/2016/03/16/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-getting-closer-expansion-answers/
“What do you think about the expansion draft?†I asked one last week.

“I think,†he said, “We’re going to find out how much the NHL hates no-move clauses. They are going to $#%& us.â€

The league has hinted Article 11.8, Section (c) of the CBA gives it reason to believe an NMC does not protect anyone from being selected by a potential Las Vegas or Quebec City franchise. That paragraph reads, “A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim.†There’s nothing about expansion.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The goalie situation will be an interesting one. Ben doesn't show any signs of slowing down over the next few seasons and is in goalie prime in terms of age. He's not young but not super old. Vasi is young and shows flashes of #1 material but just isn't there yet. In a few years everyone see's him as our #1. Either way we lose an amazing goalie, we either lose our future or possibly rush our future too soon and it doesn't work out.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The goalie situation will be an interesting one. Ben doesn't show any signs of slowing down over the next few seasons and is in goalie prime in terms of age. He's not young but not super old. Vasi is young and shows flashes of #1 material but just isn't there yet. In a few years everyone see's him as our #1. Either way we lose an amazing goalie, we either lose our future or possibly rush our future too soon and it doesn't work out.

You can bet Yzerman will trade one of them before it happens.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You protect your cheap youth. If they want to take expensive vets then let them. Those grow on trees. Young, cheap talent doesn't.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
So essentially, NMC players are going to become even bigger anchors as they give teams less protection spots. Greaaaaaat.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It wouldn't matter to me who'd we protect, I'd offer a team pick to take one of Filpulla, Garrison or Coburn who'll be our expensive vets.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Assuming Stamkos is gone anyway! Protect Johnson, kucherov, palat, drouin, vladdy namestnikov, Killorn and jt brown. Defenseman hedman, stralman and coburn. I'm assuming koekkoek and deangelo are to young to get claimed by expansion not enough pro years unsure ? Goalie to protect vasilevskiy.

wat??? jt brown seriously wtf is in your head today todd

seriously

for me this is too early wayyy too early to discuss got to finish the year get close to draft have some answers about drouin and stamkos at the very least

id protect right now
vasilevskis
stamkos
hedman
palat
kucherov
johnson
stralman
namestnikov

not sure yet on third d might be masin if hes at risk to be honest if hes not at risk first tony d than slater koekkoek

forwards again
drouin and point if he is at risk thinks that is what can protect? if point is not at risk hmmm right now might be killorn for what will cost and what he does

ummm would definitely trade big ben and bring up wilcox

now if stamkos and or drouin moves i think we are looking at other people being gone too so would have to see what we have after the nuttiness of that happens

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Not including Stamkos or Drouin because both could be here or gone by next season so we'll go with both gone.

Johnson
Kucherov
Palat
Names
Killorn
Hedman
Stralman
Garrison

If Stamkos or Drouin does stay then obviously add them to the list and drop Garrison. I have Garrison on my list because he's underrated and has been solid for this team since they got him. Would suck to let him go but you have to do what you have to do and he's the most expendable out of the list

Goalie: Depends that year. Has Vasi improved, has Ben had more injuries or slumping or has he yet again brought this team to payoffs like he has for 3 seasons with 30+ wins each season. Is Vasi getting more starts and putting on great performances or is he still a bit shaky and letting 4+ goals in several games in a row like he has this season. Vasi and Ben both have good #'s this year. This is a tough one. Come to this bride when we have to cross it for now be happy we have a #1 playing unreal and a future #1 who's going to be unreal

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
wat??? jt brown seriously wtf is in your head today todd

seriously

for me this is too early wayyy too early to discuss got to finish the year get close to draft have some answers about drouin and stamkos at the very least

id protect right now
vasilevskis
stamkos
hedman
palat
kucherov
johnson
stralman
namestnikov

not sure yet on third d might be masin if hes at risk to be honest if hes not at risk first tony d than slater koekkoek

forwards again
drouin and point if he is at risk thinks that is what can protect? if point is not at risk hmmm right now might be killorn for what will cost and what he does

ummm would definitely trade big ben and bring up wilcox

now if stamkos and or drouin moves i think we are looking at other people being gone too so would have to see what we have after the nuttiness of that happens

Koekkoek will have to be exposed but DeAngelo, Point, Masin and Erne will be exempt.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not including Stamkos or Drouin because both could be here or gone by next season so we'll go with both gone.

Johnson
Kucherov
Palat
Names
Killorn
Hedman
Stralman
Garrison

If Stamkos or Drouin does stay then obviously add them to the list and drop Garrison. I have Garrison on my list because he's underrated and has been solid for this team since they got him. Would suck to let him go but you have to do what you have to do and he's the most expendable out of the list

Goalie: Depends that year. Has Vasi improved, has Ben had more injuries or slumping or has he yet again brought this team to payoffs like he has for 3 seasons with 30+ wins each season. Is Vasi getting more starts and putting on great performances or is he still a bit shaky and letting 4+ goals in several games in a row like he has this season. Vasi and Ben both have good #'s this year. This is a tough one. Come to this bride when we have to cross it for now be happy we have a #1 playing unreal and a future #1 who's going to be unreal

Garrison? You mean Koekkoek who will be exposed if we don't protect him.

I'd protect Sustr, Blujus, Nesterov before Garrison, Coburn or Stralman. Those players will be 31 or older going into the 17-18 season, let them go and promote the kids. Unless the kids fall off in development I'd rather lose the older more expensive players.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Garrison? You mean Koekkoek who will be exposed if we don't protect him.

I'd protect Sustr, Blujus, Nesterov before Garrison, Coburn or Stralman. Those players will be 31 or older going into the 17-18 season, let them go and promote the kids. Unless the kids fall off in development I'd rather lose the older more expensive players.

Garrison and Cobrun sure, no to Stralman. Keep a vet. You can't just put the kids out and say "off you go" and expect immediate results. D takes longer to develop, specially in the big leagues. It took Hedman a few years before he got his game to where it is. Not saying all our D will become Hedmans but will still take time to develop.

I do agree with keeping the younger kids, but wouldn't want a D comprised of rookies or developing players. Gotta keep a few older players around if possible.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Garrison and Cobrun sure, no to Stralman. Keep a vet. You can't just put the kids out and say "off you go" and expect immediate results. D takes longer to develop, specially in the big leagues. It took Hedman a few years before he got his game to where it is. Not saying all our D will become Hedmans but will still take time to develop.

I do agree with keeping the younger kids, but wouldn't want a D comprised of rookies or developing players. Gotta keep a few older players around if possible.

You can only lose one player, we aren't going to lose Garrison, Coburn and Stralman. We will still have Hedman, Sustr and two of them. Depending on our cap situation we might need them to take one of them for the cap relief. I would protect Stralman over the other two but I wouldn't protect anybody 30 or over.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Don't think it's been mentioned but at least 25% of the total cap (around 18m) will have to be unprotected. Not really an issue currently with Carle and Filppula but if they get moved then more valuable players may need to be unprotected to meet the requirements.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Don't think it's been mentioned but at least 25% of the total cap (around 18m) will have to be unprotected. Not really an issue currently with Carle and Filppula but if they get moved then more valuable players may need to be unprotected to meet the requirements.

do you have salary or anyone have salary numbers the team or teams picking up guys has to hit?

i think that is a huge factor and 1000000000 percent with hose even if lose two guys and both are d you leave certain guys out there so if a team takes one or both it helps us cap wise in the future

its just business and if we have a down year we will work it out

keep in mind i think masin is a stud and is ready for early call up myself so we got sustr nestea koekkoek and probably masin early for year 2017

id be ok losing both garrison and coburn in that situation and just signing a free agent for one of them if lost both for a two year deal

masin is gonna be a guy who moves up fast imho ready fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->