News Article: TBL chasing Karlsson is way for Wings to get Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I wish I could like this more than once.

Beggars cannot be choosers.... it is funny that a certain segment of this crowd made fun of tire kicking Holland as well. But we should wait for Trouba or player X to fall in our lap. And legit top pairing and top 6 guys are troubling people. Really confusing to keep up with.
Sure it's confusing if you take out all context to try and take a cute little jab at other posters. I mean it's not like people were frustrated with Holland's tire kicking at the end of the lidstrom/z/Dats run and are now wanting a patient rebuild in two entirely different circumstances.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Oh yeah. My bad. Why do we want Callahan though? He's 34 years old. He's basically an older Abdelkader.
Because he's signed for 1 season, a season in which we will probably be a poor team either way. If we can get a solid prospect, why not use our cap space as a weapon?

Reactions: jkutswings

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not sure one of these things is like the others. I'm all for going after Karlsson. I think RNH for Mantha is swapping positions but getting similar results on the scoresheet. I'm not really enamored with Johnson's game or contract. if we're going after a guy like Johnson, we need to be landing a Karlsson or other top pair D, too. Without fixing that blueline, it's not really going to matter what happens with the forwards.

I'm more ambivilant towards RNH because I expect him to likely be dealt in a year and half when his contract is up and we (hopefully) have a kid or two knocking on the door of that job. He's like a Filppula deluxe to me, and moving Mantha for him would reflect what the Wings actually thought of Mantha. And they'd likely recoup a big chunk of his trade value when RNH is eventually dealt, anyway.

Going off topic a bit, but this is why the Dahlin draft was so big. Win that and we're talking about the blueline entirely differently right now, and going hard after a guy like Johnson looks like a fantastic move to polish off a strong forward group.

You have a real gift for defusing my hot takes. You're the Mark Walberg to my IED.

Edit: I now realize that was Jeremy Renner. I really goofed that one.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sure it's confusing if you take out all context to try and take a cute little jab at other posters. I mean it's not like people were frustrated with Holland's tire kicking at the end of the lidstrom/z/Dats run and are now wanting a patient rebuild in two entirely different circumstances.

That isn't really what is happening in my opinion and I wasn't being cute. We have been watching plenty of complaining even when we fully entered the rebuild and decisions were made with that in mind over the last 2 and a half years.

You can say that isn't what you are doing. Great, I am forced to moderate a decent amount of posts and read all of our board and I can tell you it is what several have been doing... it has been fairly prevalent. Most of the key players (around here on HF) will turn on Yzerman too, such is life.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We should take wagers on when the honeymoon ends.

For what it’s worth, I liked what Holland did a lot the last two years or so, but definitely enthusiastic about the change of direction.

I'm willing to overlook a lot of warts for someone that's proactive. Holland's earlier years were my favorite. I enjoyed the goalie swapping and picking up veteran wingers. Hell, I even enjoyed the Quincey trade because he was like, "Yeah we lost this guy but he's good and we're bringing him back, so what?"

At some point things got stale and predictable. Another year of Bert. Another deal for Dan. Howard for life.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd consider it if there was a way to also grab one of their prospects who hasn't made the NHL yet. The amount of young depth in that organization is ridiculous. It would entice me if we could somehow do Johnson + (one of Volkov/Katchouk/Raddysh/Stephens).

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Are you fine with giving up an asset to acquire Johnson?

I'd be fine with taking with a Callahan dump for a young asset with promise, Raddysh would be awesome for one year of Cally.

I'm fine giving up a young asset for Johnson. I'm not fine with a dump unless we're dumping too.

There's something seriously wrong if we're another 4-5 seasons off from a playoff appearance. We have enough problems (Abby, Ericsson) without adding Callahan.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That isn't really what is happening in my opinion and I wasn't being cute. We have been watching plenty of complaining even when we fully entered the rebuild and decisions were made with that in mind over the last 2 and a half years.

You can say that isn't what you are doing. Great, I am forced to moderate a decent amount of posts and read all of our board and I can tell you it is what several have been doing... it has been fairly prevalent. Most of the key players (around here on HF) will turn on Yzerman too, such is life.
I think Yzerman gets 3-5 yrs to prove himself, (barring downward trends).

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm willing to overlook a lot of warts for someone that's proactive. Holland's earlier years were my favorite. I enjoyed the goalie swapping and picking up veteran wingers. Hell, I even enjoyed the Quincey trade because he was like, "Yeah we lost this guy but he's good and we're bringing him back, so what?"

At some point things got stale and predictable. Another year of Bert. Another deal for Dan. Howard for life.

Oh yeah, Holland from 2010-2016 was just awful. There was good reason for why Edmonton hiring him received as much controversy as it did.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I'm fine giving up a young asset for Johnson. I'm not fine with a dump unless we're dumping too.

There's something seriously wrong if we're another 4-5 seasons off from a playoff appearance. We have enough problems (Abby, Ericsson) without adding Callahan.

I don't see how trading for Callahan is a problem, it's essentially Tampa giving us a pick or a prospect to add a Vanek-type deal (1 year of a veteran forward). We have the cap space and it's doubtful we're making a run at a big UFA this year so why not sell some of it for one season?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't see how trading for Callahan is a problem, it's essentially Tampa giving us a pick or a prospect to add a Vanek-type deal (1 year of a veteran forward). We have the cap space and it's doubtful we're making a run at a big UFA this year so why not sell some of it for one season?

Pretty much. For the Wings, they have the cash to spend on ventures like this. It's a cap league now, but not every team can afford to take on a Callahan just for the assets that come with him. If this was like the NFL and the cap rolled over, I'd want to save it, but it's a new cap every year so bring on the one year cap dumps!

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Pretty much. For the Wings, they have the cash to spend on ventures like this. It's a cap league now, but not every team can afford to take on a Callahan just for the assets that come with him. If this was like the NFL and the cap rolled over, I'd want to save it, but it's a new cap every year so bring on the one year cap dumps!

Yeah we're in a rare position where we have an owner willing to spend money and a team with a good amount of bridge deals and ELCs. Let's treat the cap space as a trade asset.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
We should take wagers on when the honeymoon ends.

For what it’s worth, I liked what Holland did a lot the last two years or so, but definitely enthusiastic about the change of direction.
I'm actually a little nervous now. I really liked what Holland was building, and I want that to continue. Just patience and building. I don't know what Yzerman really wants to do, and that's worrying. I don't want to think the Yzerplan is stupid, but I can't say it isn't until I see what it is.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm actually a little nervous now. I really liked what Holland was building, and I want that to continue. Just patience and building. I don't know what Yzerman really wants to do, and that's worrying. I don't want to think the Yzerplan is stupid, but I can't say it isn't until I see what it is.

Philosophically they are very similar and honestly if Yzerman had a bunch of goofy ideas even while knowing the temperature in the city I am not sure Holland would have stepped aside.

I know they have been publicly acknowledged talking since March;) but this shouldn't be a radically different plan. The Wings were entering a more aggressive phase of the rebuild anyway over the next 18 months. I think that was a part of the shift now instead of next off-season in gms.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Have you not listened to what he’s said so far?

Only spend in free agency if it makes sense... this is going to require time and patience... Nothing that jives with what you are worried about.

I think eventually he will be willing to be more aggressive, especially on the trade front, but I imagine he is going to take some time to see what he has before we see anything drastic.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Have you not listened to what he’s said so far?

Only spend in free agency if it makes sense... this is going to require time and patience... Nothing that jives with what you are worried about.

I think eventually he will be willing to be more aggressive, especially on the trade front, but I imagine he is going to take some time to see what he has before we see anything drastic.
GMs say a lot of things, though. I've been burned before. I only trust actions these days.

I don't want any signings, and I'm not keen on trades that don't involve AA. I'm very pro-passive rebuild, not active rebuild. Is that Steve's take on things? Not sure, so we have to wait.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah we're in a rare position where we have an owner willing to spend money and a team with a good amount of bridge deals and ELCs. Let's treat the cap space as a trade asset.

It remains to be seen that Chris Ilitch wants to spend money on either team. He might be okay with spending the current amount or spending out on guys that they have no alternative but to spend out on (Franzen, Z, etc.) But I'd need to see a longer term commitment than what he's doing. Maybe he's just waiting out some of the bigger deals (and knows that given what is going on with the Tigers right now, he'd be vilified to no end if he pulled the exact same stunt with the Wings he did with the Tigers (signing off on a full-blown blow it up)

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Why wouldn't we just go after Karlsson ourselves rather than helping a divisional rival for an extra 2nd round pick/b prospect?

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Why wouldn't we just go after Karlsson ourselves rather than helping a divisional rival for an extra 2nd round pick/b prospect?

Everyone: Kenny, do something! Get assets! Make trades! Be aggressive once in a while!

Also Everyone: I'm scared we're going to do something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad