News Article: TBL chasing Karlsson is way for Wings to get Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Killorn probably moves before Johnson as well, since his NTC loosens into a 16 team no trade list on 7/1/20, while Johnson's goes to a 20 team trade list on 7/1/21.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think we are ignoring the easiest trade they could make. Nikita Kucherov doesn't have any trade protection and is signed for under 10 million coming off a year of 128 points. Way too easy, problem solved. Erik Karlsson is a Bolt.

/s

Reactions: jkutswings

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
5mil for a 50p center who is clutch in the playoffs? A player who'd be our 2C and from all accounts is a good locker-room dude? I'd take American icon Tyler Johnson in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Mister Ed

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
This is a tough point of the rebuild where a deal like this probably doesn't get us into the playoffs but definitely kills our chances at a high draft pick. Not sure Tyler Johnson is worth that.

Reactions: newfy

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Karlsson is too broke dick. While a healthy Karlsson would make this team better, Detroit is likely not a cup contender until he's well into his early 30's. He wasn't healthy all season and missed some time in the playoffs. No thanks on Karlsson. Maybe if the Wings were one piece away from contending you take a chance, but otherwise no.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
5mil for a 50p center who is clutch in the playoffs? A player who'd be our 2C and from all accounts is a good locker-room dude? I'd take American icon Tyler Johnson in a heartbeat.

27564b31a1c57ad28ecc2c5a8925aadface07277f29de1b474599386af244f61.jpg

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
lol @ people who think Karlsson would sign here

Why in the world would he? We are running on the hope that all of our prospects will exceed expectations so that we can even begin to hunt the playoffs. We literally have one core player. The Swedish mafia is long gone.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is a tough point of the rebuild where a deal like this probably doesn't get us into the playoffs but definitely kills our chances at a high draft pick. Not sure Tyler Johnson is worth that.

Kinda my thoughts as well. I would actually rather take Callahans caphit and add a couple picks because hes pretty junk but can be fun to watch when hes throwing the body. Johnson is pushing 30 already too, doesnt fit in with the age structure of the wings right now.

Take Callahan and a first round pick off their hands

Reactions: ThankGord

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Karlsson is too broke dick. While a healthy Karlsson would make this team better, Detroit is likely not a cup contender until he's well into his early 30's. He wasn't healthy all season and missed some time in the playoffs. No thanks on Karlsson. Maybe if the Wings were one piece away from contending you take a chance, but otherwise no.

This is about Tampa wanting Karlsson, and the way they would get him is to trade Johnson+Callahan to Detroit to clear cap space.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Callahan + TBL 1st (27th overall) <> Det 7th rounder.

I would try to get that TBL 1st at any cost. It's on a perfect range for some draft slipper.

I would even consider giving some 2nd round pick (NYI #54 or SJS #60).

That 7th was just my joke.

Last edited:

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

I would try to get that TBL 1st at any cost. It's on a perfect range for some draft slipper.

I would even consider giving some 2nd round pick. That 7th is just a joke.

Tampa fans on the trade board were receptive to one of our later 2nds (Islanders/Sharks) for their 1st and Callahan. Seems like a good deal.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

I would even consider giving some 2nd round pick (NYI #54 or SJS #60).

That 7th was just my joke.

I've done a lot of research into previous salary dump trades and a 1st+Callahan for Minor League player would be fair value. If we were to include any pick it would tip the trade almost into TB's favor.

Other trades for Callahan that are "fair value" according to my research would be a 2nd+3rd+Callahan for Minor league player or Callahan+Joseph for a 2019 2nd and a 2020 2nd. Regardless, the cost to move Callahan isn't going to be super high.

Oh yeah. My bad. Why do we want Callahan though? He's 34 years old. He's basically an older Abdelkader.

We want him because TB will move valuable assets to get him off their team. They're paying him 5.8M to be a replacement level player and they need the cap currently allocated to him to re-sign their RFAs.

We aren't going to be good next year so we don't need to allocate our cap space as efficiently as a team competing for a cup.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
TJ is a pretty solid player. He steps up in the playoffs and is good for 20-29 goals per year. He would be a good #2 center for DET , but I think the DRW would need to move Nielsen if that is the case. I think if the DRW are trying to get a cap dump they should acquire about GOUDE or Miller.
If we could swap out Nielsen for Johnson that would be fantastic

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
All this chatter about not wanting Tyler Johnson is pretty on brand with a cohort here that seems to want to wait for players to fall into our laps.

First Karlsson, then RNH, then Johnson... They're good players, Bront!

Larkin is going into his prime. By the time you chill another 5 years praying for lottery balls he's going to be a near death 28-year-old like Tyler Johnson. Things need to start happening sooner than later.

I don't know if this is "the" move, but moves like this need to be on the table over the next few years if the Wings are going to compete in a reasonable timeline. I think that's why Yzerman is here now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All this chatter about not wanting Tyler Johnson is pretty on brand with a cohort here that seems to want to wait for players to fall into our laps.

Larkin is going into his prime. By the time you chill another 5 years praying for lottery balls he's going to be a near death 28-year-old like Tyler Johnson. Things need to start happening sooner than later.

I don't know if this is "the" move, but moves like this need to be on the table over the next few years if the Wings are going to compete in a reasonable timeline. I think that's why Yzerman is here now.

I wish I could like this more than once.

Beggars cannot be choosers.... it is funny that a certain segment of this crowd made fun of tire kicking Holland as well. But we should wait for Trouba or player X to fall in our lap. And legit top pairing and top 6 guys are troubling people. Really confusing to keep up with.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Agreed, I just think we need to wait one more season for development and one more decent draft pick and then we should be ready to make some moves.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

In many ways I agree but it isn't black and white. For example. is swapping Mantha for RNH a move that makes this team materially more competitive or are we just shuffling deck chairs? And I ask this as a big fan of RNH.

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah exactly, why are we waving away players who would immediately be amongst the best on our team? Hell Karlsson would immediately be our best player for the foreseeable future, even if the belief that the toll his injuries have taken is here to stay turns out to be true. I think we've gotten beyond the point of being patient and waiting for things to fall into place, it's time for Yzerman to get proactive and start building the team he wants.

D is still our weakest position in terms of outlook. I would focus on acquiring elite D through trade/free agency because to actually get the top pairing filled out during the Larkin timeline you laid out, one of 3 things would need to happen. Either one of Hronek/Cholo/McIsaac exceeds their potential tremendously, someone like Byram falls to us and develops into a #1 very quickly/we win the lottery and the #1 is a Dahlin type, or we acquire one through trade/FA. Very slim chance of the first two happening, which leaves us with option #3.

Make as strong a case as possible to get Karlsson in Detroit, then use some of our assets to swing a trade for Trouba. Depending on how much money goes the other way, could potentially even make a play for Duchene. Adding Duchene and Karlsson in FA, then adding Trouba, totally changes the conversation around this team going into next year. I would expect a return to the playoffs in that scenario.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm fine with just Johnson. I don't want an aging salary dump unless they'll take an aging salary dump player in return. It's not like we're trying to reach the cap floor or anything.
Are you fine with giving up an asset to acquire Johnson?

I'd be fine with taking with a Callahan dump for a young asset with promise, Raddysh would be awesome for one year of Cally.

Reactions: hkydave04

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

As I said, there is nothing wrong with Johnson, he'd be a welcome addition to this team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm not sure one of these things is like the others. I'm all for going after Karlsson. I think RNH for Mantha is swapping positions but getting similar results on the scoresheet. I'm not really enamored with Johnson's game or contract. if we're going after a guy like Johnson, we need to be landing a Karlsson or other top pair D, too. Without fixing that blueline, it's not really going to matter what happens with the forwards.

I'm more ambivilant towards RNH because I expect him to likely be dealt in a year and half when his contract is up and we (hopefully) have a kid or two knocking on the door of that job. He's like a Filppula deluxe to me, and moving Mantha for him would reflect what the Wings actually thought of Mantha. And they'd likely recoup a big chunk of his trade value when RNH is eventually dealt, anyway.

Going off topic a bit, but this is why the Dahlin draft was so big. Win that and we're talking about the blueline entirely differently right now, and going hard after a guy like Johnson looks like a fantastic move to polish off a strong forward group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad