Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Not sure I want Johnson at his term. It’s an inter-division trade and we would be doing them a favor by taking $5M off their cap. It would have to be a really sweet deal to put us more into cap-hell for 5 years.

Reactions: hkydave04

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The article is a decent read. I wouldn't do it, but if they clear Cally & Johnon, its probably a done deal even @$10, they could have a little wiggle room for callups etc. Assuming Braydon Pt. gets a $7-8 bridge

Well and if you ignore that they will be completely pinned when Vasy and Sergechev need contracts the next summer.

I mean I guess at that point you hope to force out Palat and Miller... Not sure how they pull off Karlsson, I guess you could bank on the lockout making this a moot point or something in terms of the next summer. I don't know but even with those mental gymnastics they would be completely pinned again the next summer with internal stars needing deals. Karlsson is not going to accept a short term deal. He will likely get an identical contract to Tavares, bonus structure lockout proof and all in terms of what his agent is going to demand.

Tampa has been chasing Karlsson for years because of Yzerman, the Wings will want to chase him as well. Now once he rules them out some other things can come into the picture, but keeping the Tampa option away from the table is probably important to this thought process if you're Stevie and the Wings.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Well and if you ignore that they will be completely pinned when Vasy and Sergechev need contracts the next summer.

I mean I guess at that point you hope to force out Palat and Miller... Not sure how they pull off Karlsson, I guess you could bank on the lockout making this a moot point or something in terms of the next summer. I don't know but even with those mental gymnastics they would be completely pinned again the next summer with internal stars needing deals. Karlsson is not going to accept a short term deal. He will likely get an identical contract to Tavares, bonus structure lockout proof and all in terms of what his agent is going to demand.

Tampa has been chasing Karlsson for years because of Yzerman, the Wings will want to chase him as well. Now once he rules them out some other things can come into the picture, but keeping the Tampa option away from the table is probably important to this thought process if you're Stevie and the Wings.
Killorn NMC moves to limited 16 team NTC...JT Miller also has no protection. +draft the year after. (Palat etc.)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Killorn NMC moves to limited 16 team NTC...JT Miller also has no protection. +draft the year after. (Palat etc.)

I am saying I am doubting they can pull of this miracle sequence of events. Hey I am all over the Callahan contract if they give us the right prospect I think that is a solid piece of business for us. But I think the fantasy at play here for this to work is a bit much in terms of Karlsson to Tampa. Even if they did manage it, my guess is you have damaged the room in a way that isn't great which often isn't considered when people run numbers that the actual GM has to think of.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I am saying I am doubting they can pull of this miracle sequence of events. Hey I am all over the Callahan contract if they give us the right prospect I think that is a solid piece of business for us. But I think the fantasy at play here for this to work is a bit much in terms of Karlsson to Tampa. Even if they did manage it, my guess is you have damaged the room in a way that isn't great which often isn't considered when people run numbers that the actual GM has to think of.
Which prospect would you ask for to take his contract?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I wouldn't be upset with TJ or Callahan for the right price. I'd obviously want some valuable building block pieces from them.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-Johnson-AA
Callahan-Nielsen-Zadina
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm

Could be worse.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
This article made me realize how SY can nab Tyler Johnson & Callahan & give up only a 3rd/b-level prospect? Johnson as our interim #2C w/AA & Hirose. Zadina/Veleno likely both in GR to start, but I think 1 might surprise & make it out of camp. Callahan as the 1 yr. cap dump, therefore the high 3rd? + Saarijarvi?

Your trade suggestion to acquire Johnson?

I'm not a fan of giving the competition a huge amount of cap relief so they can go after someone we're probably pursuing.

Reactions: golffuul

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm not a fan of giving the competition a huge amount of cap relief so they can go after someone we're probably pursuing.

Meh, we aren't competitive with them right now, chances are better than not, that we won't be affecting each others moves right now or the near future.

TB:

Win now mode probably next 4 or 5 years

DET:

Rebuild mode probably next 4 or 5 years

By the time we are going good again, TB's window will start to close or be closing already, and then hopefully we will be back on the upswing. Also, might be a time in the future where we could use help from them to fit under the cap.

I don't know how much they will even be willing to give up, as Callahan does only have 1 more year left, and they could trade someone of more value, and get something back, instead of giving up stuff. Personally if I was them, if you need to, trade Johnson and Miller and they have enough space, plus they would get decent stuff back more than likely.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I'm fine with just Johnson. I don't want an aging salary dump unless they'll take an aging salary dump player in return. It's not like we're trying to reach the cap floor or anything.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
TJ is a pretty solid player. He steps up in the playoffs and is good for 20-29 goals per year. He would be a good #2 center for DET , but I think the DRW would need to move Nielsen if that is the case. I think if the DRW are trying to get a cap dump they should acquire about GOUDE or Miller.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Meh, we aren't competitive with them right now, chances are better than not, that we won't be affecting each others moves right now or the near future.

TB:

Win now mode probably next 4 or 5 years

DET:

Rebuild mode probably next 4 or 5 years

By the time we are going good again, TB's window will start to close or be closing already, and then hopefully we will be back on the upswing. Also, might be a time in the future where we could use help from them to fit under the cap.

I don't know how much they will even be willing to give up, as Callahan does only have 1 more year left, and they could trade someone of more value, and get something back, instead of giving up stuff. Personally if I was them, if you need to, trade Johnson and Miller and they have enough space, plus they would get decent stuff back more than likely.

If the Red Wings are rebuilding for the next 5 seasons, that means something went horribly wrong with the development of the majority of the following players: Cholowski, Hronek, McIsaac, Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, #6 pick, likely top 10 pick next season, AA (regressed), Mantha (regressed), Bertuzzi (regressed), etc.

I know all the above players aren't going to be successful but the Wings would have to almost get next to nothing out of the above group to still be rebuilding 5 years from now.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Maybe so. It's a business, they're pros, it happens. My guess would be JT Miller is 1st to go for EK cap

That makes the most sense. Miller and Gourde's NTC's don't kick in until July 1st, so their contracts are the easiest to move.

I can't see Johnson waiving his NTC to come to Detroit, especially knowing the Red Wings could opt not to pick up the NTC on the remainder of the deal. Then again, Yzerman handed out NTC's like candy, and even gave Johnson the one he currently has.

I can see the Lightning hanging on to Johnson and then pushing to get Seattle to take him. The Lightning end up working out something well in advance where Johnson is going to be unprotected like Fleury was, and they make some minor deal to ensure they take him. Then Seattle takes Johnson 1st and like Engelland being a Vegas native, there's some hoopla around Johnson being from WA.

As for Callahan, I'd ask for a more valuable piece added to him in exchange for buying him out. Then the Lightning can do what the Caps did with Orpik and sign him for super cheap as a UFA to give them some familiar depth without sacrificing much cap space. The cap hit to the Wings would be pretty minor for the next two seasons ($2.66M and then $1.56M), but obviously they get whatever decent asset TB adds to him, and then the Wings don't have to eat up another roster space that could go to a younger guy.

All that said, If Johnson did actually come over as merely payment for taking Callahan's cap hit in exchange for a B-prospect/3rd, I'd make sure to deny his NTC for the remainder of the deal and then offer him up to the Jets in a package for Trouba. The Jets seem to want D or a #2C for Trouba, and Johnson would fit that #2C spot and quite affordably for 3 season.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Not interested.

Anyways, this doesn't make much sense to me for TB. Even if TB was able to dump Johnson and Callahan, they are still right up against the cap with a Karlsson signing.

83M salary cap
74M currently on the books
Minus Johnson @ 5M
Minus Callahan @ 5.8M
=63.2M on the books
Plus Point @ 8M (?)
Plus Karlsson @11M (?)
=82.2M on an 83M cap with 4-5 roster spots still to fill.

So they would also have to trade either Alex Killorn or JT Miller to free up more space to fill the roster. These are the only two expendable remaining players on the roster who don't have full NTC and would actually open up space if traded.

I don't think it's likely that TB dumps TJ Johnson, Callahan, and JT Miller/Alex Killorn in one offseason -- to sign Karlsson. But stranger things have happened I guess.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
That makes the most sense. Miller and Gourde's NTC's don't kick in until July 1st, so their contracts are the easiest to move.

I can't see Johnson waiving his NTC to come to Detroit, especially knowing the Red Wings could opt not to pick up the NTC on the remainder of the deal. Then again, Yzerman handed out NTC's like candy, and even gave Johnson the one he currently has.

I can see the Lightning hanging on to Johnson and then pushing to get Seattle to take him. The Lightning end up working out something well in advance where Johnson is going to be unprotected like Fleury was, and they make some minor deal to ensure they take him. Then Seattle takes Johnson 1st and like Engelland being a Vegas native, there's some hoopla around Johnson being from WA.

As for Callahan, I'd ask for a more valuable piece added to him in exchange for buying him out. Then the Lightning can do what the Caps did with Orpik and sign him for super cheap as a UFA to give them some familiar depth without sacrificing much cap space. The cap hit to the Wings would be pretty minor for the next two seasons ($2.66M and then $1.56M), but obviously they get whatever decent asset TB adds to him, and then the Wings don't have to eat up another roster space that could go to a younger guy.

All that said, If Johnson did actually come over as merely payment for taking Callahan's cap hit in exchange for a B-prospect/3rd, I'd make sure to deny his NTC for the remainder of the deal and then offer him up to the Jets in a package for Trouba. The Jets seem to want D or a #2C for Trouba, and Johnson would fit that #2C spot and quite affordably for 3 season.

This doesn't help them get Karlsson this offseason however.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This doesn't help them get Karlsson this offseason however.

Sure, but that whole hypothetical follows what I said would be the easier trade(s) to make room for Karlsson this offseason being the currently NTC/NMC-less Miller and/or Gourde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->