TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Comparatively I think this Bolts team is just simply better and they've made a cup final as well as multiple ECF's. They have everything you need to win the Cup and they're going to be in the ECF against the Capitals, whoever wins that will win the Cup. I'd bet my forehead on it.
Man if they don't win you're gonna look funny wo/ a forehead

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
It’s because the Canucks had an unorthodox roster that didn’t win “the right way” and the Bruins were a throwback of good ol’ Canadian boys more interested in beating up players in scrums than playing hockey.

Luongo is one of the best to ever play the position and has always been class.

You think Luongo was complimenting Thomas so I'm not sure if you even watched the series.

Loseipeg

Oct 6, 2017
Paper tiger? Lol.

2011 Canucks are one of the best teams I’ve ever seen. They only lost the cup because of injuries and the NHL didn’t want to call the game the way the Canucks played it all season. Bruins got away with so much unnecessary **** after the whistle and for some reason the Nucks are viewed as “whiners”.

How is getting punched multiple times in the face and not reacting whining? Marchand should’ve got 5 and a game for that BS.
Yuck. The injury excuses are really unbecoming. Especially when a healthy canucks team almost lost to an 8 seed before the injuries.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The only thing that stood between the 2011 Vancouver Canucks and the Cup was health. As we all know, that didn't really work out for them by the end of it, since half their team was injured. I think that's going to be the case with Tampa, as well.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Yuck. The injury excuses are really unbecoming. Especially when a healthy canucks team almost lost to an 8 seed before the injuries.

The Hawks were too good to be just an 8th seed. They were deep and ran to injury issues themselves.

Injuries definitely did play a big part in the Canucks losing against the Bruins. Along with BS officiating. This isn't hard.

Your '11 paper tiger Canucks comment is pure trash, and shows you have zero idea what you are talking about.

Loseipeg

Oct 6, 2017
The Hawks were too good to be just an 8th seed. They were deep and ran to injury issues themselves.

Injuries definitely did play a big part in the Canucks losing against the Bruins. Along with BS officiating. This isn't hard.

Your '11 paper tiger Canucks comment is pure trash, and shows you have zero idea what you are talking about.
I mean, did that core even make one other conference final? They will be regarded by history as exactly what I called them

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Canucks Defence consisted of Salo, Hamuis, Bieksa, Erhoff, Edler, Tanev. That is an incredible top 6. Almost a decade later Edler & Tanev are the Canucks 2 best Dmen by a country mile.
You have a very loose definition of "incredible."

Robinson, Lapoint, Savard, Bouchard, Boxmeer, Nyrop
Lidstrom-Murphy, Fetisov-Konstantinov, Rouse-Ward
Lidstrom-Rafalski, Stuart-Kronwall, Lebda-Chelios

These are "incredible top 6."

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
Luongo quote of "I would have had that" was taken out of context by the media, which was assassinating the Canucks likeability lots. A dedicated hit piece on Burrows by Ron Maclean being a prime example.

Luongo even explained it. When you challenge the shooter you cut down on angles but have less reaction time. When you stay in the net, you have more time, but more openings to cover. Luongo's style was the opposite of Thomas.

CBC even did a piece on "Who is Canada's team." With Boston having more Canadians, and a "Canadian" style of play. No outrage by the media for Burke's interference of the longest modern playoff suspension. No outrage on a can opener broken back. No outrage on the infamous Sedin speedbag.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
In my opinion, the amount of people immediately piling into this thread to insist the 2011 Canucks weren't really that good shows exactly how they really feel about that team, even 8 years later.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I dont think Tampa is an arrogant team really. They tend to go down easy to draw penalties. And have a smaller, more perimiter style top 6. Top PP, PK and GF/GA. Notnunbeatable but zero glaring weaknesses.

I do think there is a lot of similarities though.

Took til game 7 of the finals for those Canucks to lose. Not exactly a huge failure...

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Paper tiger? Lol.

2011 Canucks are one of the best teams I’ve ever seen. They only lost the cup because of injuries and the NHL didn’t want to call the game the way the Canucks played it all season. Bruins got away with so much unnecessary **** after the whistle and for some reason the Nucks are viewed as “whiners”.

How is getting punched multiple times in the face and not reacting whining? Marchand should’ve got 5 and a game for that BS.

No Sedin should have just hit him back. The Sedins even let Tim Thomas push them around that series

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I don't see a comparison to be made between Tampa this year and 2010/11 Vancouver, with the single one exception being that they are doing well.

I don't remember anyone at this point in the season stating that Vancouver was unbeatable. Tampa actually seems to be. There were some holes on that Vancouver roster - namely size/grit - that led to some questions being raised with regards to them being more of a 'regular season team' than a 'play-off team'. That's what I remember anyway from back then, but I am also sure that there were some analysts already anointing Vancouver as the next Stanley Cup Champions. There always is.

Tampa is just a different monster to me. They don't seem to have any holes. They seem to be a deeper and more talented squad. They seem to have the size, speed, skill and grit up and down that line-up, and it makes it difficult to identify any glaring holes in the line-up. Now, betting on the field is always the smarter bet than betting on any one team to win it all. Anything can happen during the play-offs (or even leading up to them). Key injuries can erase a team's perceived advantages. However, if I was a betting man and forced to pick one single team to win it all this year, it is Tampa by a landslide. They ARE a powerhouse this year and can play any type of game as well. Vancouver was not that team. Vancouver was a very good team that year, but (IMO) they simply weren't one of those 'great teams'. Tampa is a team having the type of season that doesn't happen every year. They are an extraordinary team playing consistently at an elite level, with elite-level scoring, defending and goaltending.

As for any thought of people starting to hate on Tampa for 'being so arrogant' - I don't see it either. That's not why fans hated on the Canucks, though that arrogance was definitely there. I haven't seen anything that made me feel that Tampa is arrogant. Confident? Yes, and they SHOULD be the most confident team in the league. Arrogant? Sorry, but I haven't seen it. The real reason why people turned on the Canucks was for HOW they played. It was the diving, biting, hair-pulling antics of some of their top players. Hockey to me - as it is to most fans who grew up with it - was always a 'tough but honourable' sport. It is the rare combination of the beauty of soccer mixed-in with violence of football, sprinkled with the emotion and brutality of MMA, all cranked up to triple-speed. Diving? That shouldn't happen in hockey. It does, and I hate it, even when my team does it. It makes me cringe every @#$@#@#$@ time. The Canucks that year to a number of fans became the epitome of what was wrong with the NHL. They relied on these antics and got rewarded with PPs, and their PP was lethal. That was the backbone of their system. I really couldn't stand that team at all - they were a rival team, but I usually grudgingly respect rival teams with more success, even when I hate them. That team was an embarrassment to hockey, and that (IMO) was why neutral fans started turning on them. That is when the eastern fans really ended up watching what they were doing, and nobody liked it. It wasn't JUST the fact that they were diving everywhere, it was the fact that they were being rewarded for it, and the fear that other teams would point at them and try to emulate this. I remember watching soccer and breaking tackles was the norm. Now they dive at every opportunity. The culture there has shifted and I hate it, and I was rather worried that the culture in the NHL would shift if the Canucks ended up winning. I can't speak to all NHL fans, but that was the main reason I DETESTED the Canucks. The more you watched them, the less you liked them. It wasn't jealousy as many Canuck posters claimed. Heck, even after they lost and the city rioted, Bieksa makes a stupid joke in the media about sending the rioters to his landlord's house as he felt the timing of the renovations inconvenienced him.

I don't see any similarity with Tampa at all. I just see a damn good team that is going to be incredibly difficult to knock-out this post-season. They are the undisputed favourites, and a team that this western conference fan will be eager to see in the play-offs. They are fun to watch, and I think they play the right way as to what this old hockey fan expects from an NHL team. Maybe after watching them more closely in the play-offs, perhaps some stuff will become apparent and it will make me shift to hating them, but as of now I just don't see any reason to hate them at all.

P.S. I still hate the Canucks, but they have stopped being that embarrassing team. The Sedins themselves stopped diving so much, and all the players that made them extremely unlikeable moved to different teams. Now I can watch a Nucks game and actually enjoy the product, even though they aren't as successful (though their future seems brighter). As a rival fan, I still hope that they never win a cup, but they are FAR from the embarrassment that they were when they almost became Stanley Cup Champs. Don't really dislike anyone on that team, even Pettersson who seems to really enjoy making my team look stupid.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
This Bolts team is WAY better than that Canucks team. Not even close.

Better forwards, defence, and goaltender.
As Canucks fan, totally agree. That ‘10-11 Canucks were classic frontrunners. Beat the teams they “should” beat, but struggled against contenders that brought their A game; fell apart against teams that pressed them physically.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

That was a strong Blackhawks team coming off of a down year in the midst of their dynasty. They were in the Canucks heads, which is part of why they almost came back from down 3-0. But that Canucks team was super legit and they were not paper tigers at all.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
They are going to (easily) pass 60 wins and probably finish somewhere around 130 points to finish the year.

That is insane.

In......sane

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They are going to (easily) pass 60 wins and probably finish somewhere around 130 points to finish the year.

That is insane.

In......sane
Eh - I could see us not winning 3 games from here on out if we're being honest. I think Kucherov has something to play for, but other than that...

I don't know. I'm kind of curious to see what kind of jump the boys have for the next 8 games. It'd be hard to criticize them for taking it a bit easy, but I don't know if this team has a lower gear right now.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Eh - I could see us not winning 3 games from here on out if we're being honest. I think Kucherov has something to play for, but other than that...

I don't know. I'm kind of curious to see what kind of jump the boys have for the next 8 games. It'd be hard to criticize them for taking it a bit easy, but I don't know if this team has a lower gear right now.

It sounds stupid, but it definitely feels better having a reason to play hard the last few weeks rather than having everything set in stone.

I was glad the Jets were running against Nashville for the division and league lead in points right until the final game last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce