TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.

Who [Mod] on this team is arrogant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Slightly similar. The Canucks had the #1 Offence and the #1 Defence. The #1 PP and the #1 PK. President’s trophy and multiple individual award winners. They were decimated by injuries in the playoffs though. A lot has to go right even for a great team to win the cup.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

'mate, you are literally just creating narratives in your head to get you angry. "Arrogant players"? Please tell me where you find arrogance that is in any way different than arrogance you'll find on 30 different NHL rosters. And you're a B's fan. Imagine complaining about arrogant players from someone who supports the organization supplying Brad Marchand's paychecks. My goodness, this is some cognitive dissonance.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
TBay would have to hit a tonne of Injuries in playoffs for then to be 2011 Canucks.

2011 Canucks healthy would have swept that Bruins team.

-Kesler torn labrum during WCF
- Hamhuis only plays game 1 and 2 only of SCF
- Ehrhoff badly injured shoulder in WCF. Needed numbing shots before every game
- Edler 2 broken finger in game 6 of sCF
- Samuelsson out after round 2
-Higgins broken foot since rnd 3
- malhotra with a career ending eye injury

If Tbay avoids that they will cream any team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
People need to stop comparing teams unlikability levels to the 2011 Canucks, the Canucks are the gold standard in this regard and they will never be topped. You'd need a team of 20 Sean Avery's whose pregame skate consisted of kicking puppies and clubbing seals to even get the conversation going. 2011 Canucks were generational ****s, don't trivialize that by mentioning anyone else in the same breath.

Also Tampa isn't unlikable in the first place, or very similar in any way so its kinda a moot point.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster)

Well they’ve won 7 of their last 10 playoff series, so unless a big win only means winning the cup then you’re a bit off

regular season dominating juggernaut,

Yawn, if it was so easy why don’t all the “better” teams do it all the time. Even if the lightning don’t win the cup this year they are still the best team

Reactions: LightningStrikes

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Tampa Bay is far more playoff tested than the Canucks were and are the (near) perfect team for today's NHL. Just like the Bruins were the perfect team for where the game was in the late 2000's-the lockout.

The 2011 Bruins would never have been able to bully their way to a Cup in today's NHL.

And you can never account for a goalie going mega human like Thomas did.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This Bolts team is WAY better than that Canucks team. Not even close.

Better forwards, defence, and goaltender.
You don't remember the Canucks if your claiming the Bolts are way better then that Canucks team. That Canucks team was loaded top to bottom lacking a number 1D but they had 6 top 4 Dman. Injuries killed them if Hamhuis doesn't get hurt and Kesler was healthy they most likely win the Cup. Erhoff was hurt as well I believe.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
2011 Canucks healthy would have swept that Bruins team.

Ah this old chestnut. If my beer league team trained harder we would've swept the Bruins in 2011. It didn't happen, I'm shocked people still bring this up, another good reason to hate the 2011 Canucks, people are still trying to delegitimize their loss nearly a decade after the fact.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't see Cirelli getting hit with a career ending eye injury so I think they'll be fine.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I don't know if Vasilevsky is better than the 2011 Luongo (it's close), but c'mon the Canucks best defenseman was Ehrhoff.

Canucks Defence consisted of Salo, Hamuis, Bieksa, Erhoff, Edler, Tanev. That is an incredible top 6. Almost a decade later Edler & Tanev are the Canucks 2 best Dmen by a country mile.

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad