TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not really. Remember that the series turned on an atrocious missed penalty call that led to the Lightning going ahead and winning a game with 4-5 minutes left. If the official calls the penalty as he should have and Boston scored a PP goal that’s a totally different series. I actually thought Boston outplayed them in that series

It wasnt as bad as the score of the series indicated but it wasnt particularly close either. Tb won that series pretty convincingly. I compare it to the series we had against the Islanders a few years back. Not as bad as the series score indicates. Although I think the Islanders played us better than the Bruins did last year.

I think it would be closer this time around as the Bruins had some injuries last year. They are a very well structured team and could give any team problems, including TB. However this Lightning team is pretty damn good. I would have to give Boston mad props if they beat this Lightning team. Our last game against them will cause some of their fans to think we wont be as difficult as people say but I can guarantee this wont be an easy series for either team if it gets to it.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end.

That narrative became a little more balanced with time though when level-headed people were able to cool down and take a more nuanced look at some of the players on the opposite side of the puck.

Tim Thomas in particular is easily top 3 when it comes to arrogant/smug players the last 20 years.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
They're no where near as soft as that Vancouver team. I can't see anyone from Tampa getting bodied by a oppositions goalie for stepping into the crease.

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
And if the Canucks played with the intensity of the Bruins, they maybe would've kept up, instead the Sedins got bullied and roughed up.

Here's a great example

I don't see how that is a great example. Goalies are untouchable, but yet they can initiate body contact. Even this season, what do you expect a team to do if a goalie does that?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
You don't remember the Canucks if your claiming the Bolts are way better then that Canucks team. That Canucks team was loaded top to bottom lacking a number 1D but they had 6 top 4 Dman. Injuries killed them if Hamhuis doesn't get hurt and Kesler was healthy they most likely win the Cup. Erhoff was hurt as well I believe.

Basically half the team was either sidelined or playing through serious injury in the finals. Too bad, so sad!

Canucks' walking wounded aim to get healthy

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I don't see how that is a great example. Goalies are untouchable, but yet they can initiate body contact. Even this season, what do you expect a team to do if a goalie does that?

Did you even read what I wrote? I said the Sedins got bullied up and the Canucks just took it.

They never defended their star players against the Bruins.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The year's Tampa team is absolutely nothing like that 2011 Vancouver team.

This Bolts team is one of the best teams in hockey history (probably top-5 all time). As good as they were, those Canucks will never be confused as one of the best ever.

I don't think the Canucks team was that arrogant but their fanbase was insufferable (and yes, that is coming from a Leaf fan). It's no wonder that pretty much everyone outside of the Lower Mainland was rooting for Boston.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
No use of beating a dead horse, Canucks lost in 7.

Half the team was hurt, Luongo couldn't stop a puck in Boston and was sad because 'the mean hockey media' was attacking his character, Mike Gillis ego was over the moon after he called out the refs in the Chicago series.

Just a cluster**** of nonsense that playoff run, it was a good run by all means to Canucks fans but the end result..we lost.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Did you even read what I wrote? I said the Sedins got bullied up and the Canucks just took it.

They never defended their star players against the Bruins.

Yes, in hindsight the Canucks should have definitely played them tougher and/or dirtier. That being said, the Canucks were clearly trying to draw penalties by not retaliating. Their powerplay was deadly. If that series if reffed with any semblance of consistency relative to the rest of the playoffs, they look like geniuses. They should have adapted.

Sorry, Tampa is 20 times better than Vancouver in every way and at every position. It's not even close.

This Tampa team is significantly better than the 2010-2011 Canucks, full stop. But Vasilevskiy is definitely not x20 better than 2010-2011 Luongo and Schneider. Hell, you can make the argument he isn't better than either let alone both.

The only similarity I see between 2018-2019 Tampa Bay and 2010-2011 Vancouver is relative dominance. Also, where did this narrative that the Tampa Bay Lightning are arrogant come from? Who exactly on Tampa Bay is arrogant?

Reactions: 53or8

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.
Got it. Bruins won, we lost...

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
TBay would have to hit a tonne of Injuries in playoffs for then to be 2011 Canucks.

2011 Canucks healthy would have swept that Bruins team.

-Kesler torn labrum during WCF
- Hamhuis only plays game 1 and 2 only of SCF
- Ehrhoff badly injured shoulder in WCF. Needed numbing shots before every game
- Edler 2 broken finger in game 6 of sCF
- Samuelsson out after round 2
-Higgins broken foot since rnd 3
- malhotra with a career ending eye injury

If Tbay avoids that they will cream any team.

You missed...
Raymond injury
Salo severely banged up
Rome suspension

Damn that’s a lot of bodies.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
2011 Canucks healthy would have swept that Bruins team.

-Kesler torn labrum during WCF
- Hamhuis only plays game 1 and 2 only of SCF
- Ehrhoff badly injured shoulder in WCF. Needed numbing shots before every game
- Edler 2 broken finger in game 6 of sCF
- Samuelsson out after round 2
-Higgins broken foot since rnd 3
- malhotra with a career ending eye injury

Meanwhile, that Bruins team was 100% healthy. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events