Value of: Taylor Hall

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Avs went super hard on Panarin and offered him more more than he ultimately chose to receive, so I think there's a strong chance that Sakic would pay Hall close to Panarin money.

But they were very specific on term. They only offered 4 yrs. hall won’t take that.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Still cannot believe he was traded. A 1st overall who's done nothing but play great hockey and who now happens to be the Hart winner as well. And for what? A top pairing defenceman who's nowhere near the best in the league. Feeling sorry for the Oilers fans for having the worst GM in the recent history. Duo of Hall - McDavid would have been too good to be true - something along the lines of modern day's Gretzky & Kurri maybe, who knows. At least now there's some oxygen for the teams in the Western Conference cause had it not happened they'd been smothered.

Almost as good as McDavid-Draisaitl, even.. :sarcasm:

It's probably worth pointing out that Jersey-Hall is not the same guy Edmonton-Hall was. The latter was an entitled d-bag child. Doesn't make the trade a good one, it was pretty far from it, but..

Would be nice to have Hall back, but to have your third best forward making 10+ mil is a bit of a luxury and probably not great cap management.
And to be honest, if it were between the two (and it would be) I would rather have Nuge.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Most players drafted in the past 4 years (aside from very high picks) are still a bunch of maybes at this point. Not sure what you're getting at, but Shero and Castron have drafted really well for NJ.
That's my point. How can you call a bunch of maybes good drafting? 1st overall picks are not good drafting, they are the result of bad teams, they should be stars in most draft classes.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
well I am convinced.

Why hasn't a team hired you to be GM yet? Since it seems like you know more than most.

Shero and Castron's first draft was in 2016. Which was 3 years ago. Which means most of those players are just now starting to break into the league.

I guess according to you Bowen Byram, Adam Boqvist, Evan Bouchard, etc etc cannot be called good pick sbecause they havent broken into the league yet. Right?
Lol no they are not busts. They seem to be on track some more than others. They have good chances to be quality NHL players. I wouldn't put Michael McLeod in the same sentence as any of them. I would even say 2016 was a very good draft for the Devils if they would have taken McAvoy, Fabro, or DeBrincat. If you are missing the playoffs you need to hit that first rounder. Unless you're the Bruins you can wiff a couple times and still be good (2015).

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Not saying your wrong but Patrick was for almost 2 yrs the #1 pick unil Nico had a strong capmapign to take that from him. Sure were WE surprised Shero took him? I was. Worried that some skinny swiss kid could not live up to the ranking. I was wrong. That was always looked at as a weaker draft class wedged between the Mcdavid-Matthews- Dahlin drafts. Is Pete a better pick than Nico, some might say s,o its about 10 pts more both years. I'm ok with those #s. Lets see what a full year of Makar (who I like) looks like. Heis is a real find, I will grant you. The Devils are set with C depth for years to come, it could be worse. We could just as easy said we have Makar/Heis and have no center depth right?
Nico had a strong draft year and Patrick also had that sports hernia which is a nightmare. Ladd had a sports hernia in his last year with the Jets and has been done ever since. Combined the hernia and the Flyers atrocious handling of his concussions and Patrick has had a tough start......wait not concussion it's a migraine issue that started post concussion according to the Flyers...if there was only a medical diagnosis for that...sorry went a little of topic there. If the choice was between the two the Devils made the right one.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Well it's hard to know today since we have no idea how the playoff race will shake out, but Colorado stands out as one.
That makes some sense in a lot of ways. The Avs are a team on the cusp of being very good for a while and adding Hall would be great. Even if his knee or whatever other of his 100 injuries end his career he can go on LTIR preferably with in 4 years. BUT... Sakic doesn't seem like the type of GM who would blow his brains out for any player and if he did you would have to think Rantenen would lose his mind having a lesser player get more money than him and what if Hall didn't want to go on LTIR and play the rest of his contract for 45 games a year and 25 points?

The more I read this thread the more I think the Devils would have to be out of their minds to sign this guy long term. There's a ton of risk for a building team. Hall should go to a team that is a contender over the next 3-4 years and end of on LTIR somewhere in the back half of a 6 year contract.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
But they were very specific on term. They only offered 4 yrs. hall won’t take that.
We’ll have to wait and see what comes of the situation. I think he’d be a solid addition to the current Avs team, but if the trade price isn’t right and the re-signing price isn’t right, then this is all moot anyway.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
so please enlighten me as to where the narratives came from (and are still coming from from many on this board)?

Of course I don't mean all fans. But lets not act like Hall was universally beloved in Edmonton because that isn't really true.

While he was here he was loved by 99% of the fans. When he got traded sure there were some fans, and even some fringe media types, who cast some shade on Hall. Those were just sour grapes. We knew we'd been hoodwinked.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’d like for Hall to come back to Edmonton which is unlikely. Other then that I hope he remains a Devil. They’re building around him and I like the direction they’re heading.

Reactions: PuckNut

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The ? is does he want max $ or max flexibility?

Since he already has enuf $ as a 1OA, I don't think he takes less to do anybody any favors without a backscratch. However, whether it is for possibly parlaying a follow up deal to even mo $, or it is to make sure he is comfy and happy, or he wants to be sure he is likely to catch an actual/emerging Cup contender on the upswing, I think he takes a shorter deal, or depending on is negotiated with NHLPA, a longer term deal but w/player option to buy out balance of deal for bupkis.

8.5-9.5 x 2 or similar $ x 4, maybe 5

I could see longer term with Panarin $ and/or some signing upfront, but then, reducing risk of career degree of injury/breakdown, I see such suitors insisting on less in later years.

If we can keep Kreider at like 6.2 x 5
and drop some mo deadwood (Smith, Staal)
and repurpose Skjei, Strome, Buch for futures
I'd love him at the right # as UFA in NY w/Rangers.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Almost as good as McDavid-Draisaitl, even.. :sarcasm:

It's probably worth pointing out that Jersey-Hall is not the same guy Edmonton-Hall was. The latter was an entitled d-bag child. Doesn't make the trade a good one, it was pretty far from it, but..

Would be nice to have Hall back, but to have your third best forward making 10+ mil is a bit of a luxury and probably not great cap management.
And to be honest, if it were between the two (and it would be) I would rather have Nuge.

Come back to me when Draisatl wins a Hart.

He was a d-bag so it was worth it to trade him? Crosby was a whiny little child when he didn't get his way, crying to the refs every second back in the day. Did the Penguins trade him? When Ovechkin was having his off years, Oilers fans were calling Hall the best LW in the league. This "d-bag" statement is ludacris.

Hall isn't making 10m? The trade was 3 years ago, he's been signed for 6m since then. Edmonton wouldn't be in any cap issues if they had kept him. There's no reason they couldn't have kept both.

Give me Hall 8 days of the week over Nudge. TYVM.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
you're right I am sure he is making his decision on the next 6-8 years of his life based on 2 games.

He has stated that being on a contending team is his #1 priority. If he wasn't using this season as a gauge of that, then there would likely be a resolution at this point.

There are only 80 games left before he HAS to make a decision, 79 at about 11pm tonite.

There are 47 games until he MAY be forced to make a decision (the trade deadline). 46 after tonite.

So its ludicrous to believe that 3 tire fire games will impact his thinking -- fine. Whats the number of games that people will have to acknowledge that the teams performance is impacting his decision? And whatever that number is - can't you also say than that its ludicrous to suggest he'd make an 8 year decision over that amount of games?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I like Hall and loved him as an oiler, but I have a feeling whoever signs him will end up regretting it.

I mean, we're talking about a guy who's averaged 65 games / season over the course of his career (prime years no less). Obviously, when he's playing he's a game-changer (just look at the PPG), but in real terms over 8.5 seasons (lockout) he averages out to a 60pt winger. Is that who you want to spend $11 Million on long term?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I think Hall will end up in Montreal. Montreal has the necessary assets and Bergevin has been looking to add a big piece for awhile.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I like Hall and loved him as an oiler, but I have a feeling whoever signs him will end up regretting it.

I mean, we're talking about a guy who's averaged 65 games / season over the course of his career (prime years no less). Obviously, when he's playing he's a game-changer (just look at the PPG), but in real terms over 8.5 seasons (lockout) he averages out to a 60pt winger. Is that who you want to spend $11 Million on long term?
I actually think Hall's 3 years in NJ have been representative of his career. First year played like a 2LW (53 points - 72 games), 2nd year was great (Hart winner) and 3rd cut short by injury (33 games). IMO tough to justify a long term 13% or so of cap contract for a player that will turn 29 in November of next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad