AZ
21yo season 63pts
22yo season 71pts
23yo season 60pts
24yo season 61pts
25yo season 54pts
26yo season 64pts
*27yo season 46pts (pace)*

So from 21 to 26 he averaged 62pts per season. He looked to be right on the verge of being a top center in this league. Headed right into his prime and then *SPLAT!!!*

I'd argue the same was very true of OEL.

22yo season 15g, 44pt
23yo season 23g, 43pt
24yo season 21g, 55pt
25yo season 12g, 39pt
26yo season 14g, 42pt
27yo season 14g, 44pt
*(28yo season 09g, 33pt (pace)*

So from 22 to 27 he had avg 17g, 45pts per season and then *SPLAT!!!*

Both coinciding with giant new contracts. So strange. Very similar players. Just inexplicable falls.

Reading the complaints from both fanbases about each players is the same, too.

Arizona is bottom 10 in GF/GP in the NHL and Nashville is top 10. Arizona has the 5th best GA/GP in the league and Nashville has the 5th worst. AZ needs scoring ESPECIALLY at center. Nashville needs a D. It could make some sense.
Solid analysis but for me after reading it I'm now even more inclined to stick with OEL than RyJo. When all things are equal, I prefer the devil we know over the one we don't, especially considering how basically everyone not named Vrbata seems to play worse once they get here.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Dvo: 18g 37p
RoJo: 11g 32p

I know it's one season and that Nashville was in a funk for a good part of the season, but I wouldn't mind seeing what the team looks like with Dvo and Hayton down the middle with maybe a another youngish 2/3C to help Hayton grow into his role. Imagine if there was a way to sign Hall and Grandlund (bye Kessel and Stepan).

Hall-Dvo-Garland
Keller-Grandlund-Schmaltz
Crouse-Hayton-Burke
X-Soda-Fischer

Chychrun-Hammer
OEL-Soda Jr.
Cappo-Goli
Bush

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Granlund at center experiment was abandoned by Minnesota about five or six years ago, unfortunately. I don't think Nashville, even in the depths of their desperation for a center (see Jones for RyJo and the Duchene contract) have ever tried him there. I think that ship has sailed. Even more so than Galchenyuk at C or Schmaltz at C.

Reactions: Sinurgy

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The Granlund at center experiment was abandoned by Minnesota about five or six years ago, unfortunately. I don't think Nashville, even in the depths of their desperation for a center (see Jones for RyJo and the Duchene contract) have ever tried him there. I think that ship has sailed. Even more so than Galchenyuk at C or Schmaltz at C.

Ah didn't realize that. Well moving on haha.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Grabner has a value. Why to buying out him?
Because to trade him you will likely have to eat a portion of the contract. We need the cap room more than a late round pick or shitty prospect.

Grabner has not been the same since before the eye injury. He has been passed by others in the organization.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Because to trade him you will likely have to eat a portion of the contract. We need the cap room more than a late round pick or shitty prospect.

Grabner has not been the same since before the eye injury. He has been passed by others in the organization.

And yet he still brings more than Hino or Fischer imo. Not sure if Fischer can ever figure out how to use size to be a true power forward at this point and Hino is JAG. At least Grabner is still a stud PKer.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Friendly reminder he has a higher G/60 than Kessel at all strengths and has quite literally half as many minutes.

I would like to know what Grabner did that was soooo egregious that he went from regular to healthy scratch-buyout candidate in such a short amount of time. It certainly wasn't his play on the ice.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Friendly reminder he has a higher G/60 than Kessel at all strengths and has quite literally half as many minutes.

I would like to know what Grabner did that was soooo egregious that he went from regular to healthy scratch-buyout candidate in such a short amount of time. It certainly wasn't his play on the ice.
Take three guesses, the first two don't count. RT,RT,RT. The same coach that didn't give Hayton a fair shot until we had 17 or games left in the season. The same coach that give Stepan more TOI than any other forward not named Hall, and the most before Hall arrived. The same coach that had our leading goal scorer on the four line getting fourth line minutes.

Reactions: PuckLife

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I'm just speculating with what I think is going on. We will find out in summer.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Now that he isnt scoring on breakaways Grabner's like any other 4th liner you can find in the league except hes paid like a good 3rd liner. While he is good defensively I dont think our PK really misses him. I think hes the first to go to clear cap space for Hall.

Vinnie plays a more well rounded game. Fischer is more physical. Richardson plays C.

I agree that Grabner is likely to be bought out, I think he has negative value now with his contract. Although maybe we'd try to LTIR him with his poor sight as the reason?

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure we can get a 5th for him from a team like Ottawa
If we eat how much cap? If the goal is to free cash to sign Hall then I’d rather maximize that rather than focus on getting a lottery ticket.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Take three guesses, the first two don't count. RT,RT,RT. The same coach that didn't give Hayton a fair shot until we had 17 or games left in the season. The same coach that give Stepan more TOI than any other forward not named Hall, and the most before Hall arrived. The same coach that had our leading goal scorer on the four line getting fourth line minutes.

Beginning of the year Hayton was played in the top six at wing so I'll disagree a little there. He got several shots to do something and really did zip. Then he started getting benched and it was dumb to have him on the roster. Grabner on the other hand was better than Hino or Fischer imo and we never hear why he isn't playing. God forbid Tocc is asked that question by any Arizona media person.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Def gonna be a shame to watch him go. Shows skill, speed and passion. Team needs more of him and less of the "vets" imo.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm sure getting into the zone with a good entry only to find he was 1v5 tonight generated a lot of desire to sign with the team. Moving the only guy he had chemistry with off his line is also likely inspiring.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad