Speculation: Taylor Hall Contract

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I hope that means
1. A general idea of term and amount that would make them happy
2. A date that if we aren't in the playoffs he would like to be traded by

Knowing which teams/cities he likes would increase his value in trade and allow the other team to talk extension potentially before the trade goes through.

Bob reiterated they don't want to trade him and don't plan on it, but we all know that can change if they start losing or the right deal comes along (or if he just doesn't want to sign)

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
Good articles thrown up by Craig on The Athletic, here's some interesting stuff:

This was more of a meet-and-greet.
“It’s important for Darren and Taylor to understand the full scope of everything we’re doing here and hear what our plans are, so I introduced him to Alex,” Chayka said Monday. “Part of our process in bringing Taylor here was showing him what we’re about and hearing our vision.”
Ferris came away from that dinner impressed.
“Alex is a super guy with a super family and a really fresh approach,” Ferris said Monday. “I think he is going to do really well for the city of Phoenix, for Arizona and for the Coyotes.
“He cares. He really has this passion that I like. Again, it’s refreshing. He gets it. It’s not too often that you meet owners who really get it. Sometimes, they’re just buying teams as a business. For him, he cares about the players and the city and the team and winning. He’s committed, and I’ll tell you, I think he will do it. I can see why he’s successful in business.”

“I think Taylor has really enjoyed his time there so far,” Ferris said. “He has expressed how the team has treated him — the ownership, coaches, management — it has all been positive.
“He really likes the group of players there, and he really likes (coach Rick) Tocchet. As I told you, Tocchet is one of my all-time favorites in this league. I think he is a hell of a coach and he understands today’s game, and I think him and Taylor really relate well.”

Hall hasn’t had a lot of time to acclimate to Arizona since the Coyotes acquired him from the New Jersey Devils on Dec. 16, but when the All-Star break arrived, he took a trip to Cabo San Lucas with a large group of Coyotes, including Derek Stepan, Alex Goligoski, Christian Fischer, Nick Schmaltz, Lawson Crouse, Vinnie Hinostroza, Jordan Oesterle, Clayton Keller, Christian Dvorak and Jakob Chychrun.
“It was great to spend time with them away from the rink and the hustle and bustle of the season,” Hall said before the Coyotes beat the Canadiens on Monday. “We got some sun and some relaxation, and my girlfriend has really liked a lot of the (girlfriends and wives of players) on the team, so that has been a good thing as well.
“To be honest, everything has been awesome besides, lately, the winning part. That’s the last part of the equation, but I’m pretty confident that we can turn things around and make a serious push for a playoff spot and hopefully contend for our division. It has been a lot of fun to join this group. I didn’t know what to expect when I was traded here, but it’s an awesome group of guys, and the off-ice staff and management have been great in assisting me and helping me get used to everything.”

“You can’t beat the weather,” he said. “My girlfriend’s parents just visited. I’ve got a buddy coming in next week and then another buddy three weeks after that. They never wanted to come visit me in Edmonton, but they all want to come to Arizona.”
The Coyotes made Hall’s transition as simple as possible by shipping his car and all his belongings. They even found him a home suitable for an NHL star.
“They set me up at Auston Matthews’ house,” Hall said, laughing. “It’s a nice spot, and I know him a little bit. They said it might be available for rent. It’s in Phoenix, on the Phoenix-Scottsdale border, with a pool house. It’s got everything you need and more, so it has been great. They have made it easy for me to come in and play. Hockey is all I have to worry about.”

“I like the group here a lot,” he said. “There’s a lot of skilled, young players, a general manager that I think is going to be here a long time that has a unique vision and looks at things in maybe a different scope than other people, and new ownership that really seems passionate about building something. All of those things are really positive, and then a coach that I have got along with really well and I feel like we see the game in a similar way. When I talk to Toc, I always feel like we’re on the same wavelength.
“When my agent and I came here and said we were open-minded, it wasn’t just lip service. It’s true. It’s definitely a place you’d have to really, really consider for sure, and I think this time frame has been good for them, too, to see what I’m like as a player and what I’m like as a person. It’s a two-way street. I’m not just some top auction prize. I view it as a partnership. If they want me, then they’ll make that known and we’ll go from there, but I am definitely open to it.”

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Is this board more willing to keep Tocchet if it means extending Hall?

Suppose you could always re-sign Hall and then dump Tocchet next Christmas if things aren't going well.

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I like Tocchet, i just think a playoff push is necessary to get him hungry enough to be harder on his players. It's great to be a player's coach, but you have to be a force as a coach. Making playoffs is key to get him to that level IMO, and obviously if Taylor wants Tocchet to stay in order to re-sign, I'm game.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Interesting from Lebrun today that there is currently zero chance Hall is traded before the deadline. I don't understand it but respect the fact there is a plan.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Interesting from Lebrun today that there is currently zero chance Hall is traded before the deadline. I don't understand it but respect the fact there is a plan.

Not surprised. It looks to me like Chayka has been putting together a group with which he'll swim or sink. We may actually pass the deadline without a single trade being made - we're at our cap limit, and I'm hoping Chayka doesn't consider what prospects we have left in the system to be expendable.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not surprised. It looks to me like Chayka has been putting together a group with which he'll swim or sink. We may actually pass the deadline without a single trade being made - we're at our cap limit, and I'm hoping Chayka doesn't consider what prospects we have left in the system to be expendable.
Yeah the part I dont understand is letting deadline pass without even a conversation about long term. I get you kinda want to use your own rental but some times you have to consider all angles. If you have a conversation and sense a genuine willingness on Hall's part to discuss the future even without finalizing a contract I might get it better.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

What's out there at the deadline that's even worth adding?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is honestly how I kind of thought it would be - I didn't think that we would have any sort of discussion with Hall until he was here at least a month. I think that is the biggest change that you will see with Chayka/Tocchet vs Maloney/Tippett: I don't know if Maloney really knew how to "sell" the location using the methodology that he was using. Remember that there was talk about when we traded for Goligoski's rights, we did things that were otherwise not "normal" Coyote behavior like buying the collars for the two dogs that Alex and his girlfriend have.

This was the underrated aspect as to why I think that Arizona would be MORE, and not less likely to strike a deal. We actually have the ways and means to sell what we are doing. Easier with an owner, but Chayka's vision came about without a steady owner to start. I think that Meruelo was partially sold on Chayka's vision, so when you can get someone to commit hundreds of millions of dollars, selling a vision to Hall for tens of millions of dollars is a walk in the park. :sarcasm:

It also helps where the owner agrees with Chayka's vision and has a vision of his own that coincides with that direction.

I truly think that if we just get in the playoffs, Hall signs. The outcome to the series isn't quite important, but getting there is.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Outsider here.... how Hall's new contract would fit on next year's salary cap ? I saw on capfriendly that you guys have 15 players signed already taking $80,715,000. The cap next year will be around 83M, so not a lot of money remaining.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Outsider here.... how Hall's new contract would fit on next year's salary cap ? I saw on capfriendly that you guys have 15 players signed already taking $80,715,000. The cap next year will be around 83M, so not a lot of money remaining.
The same as it does for every team that has a big contract signed, others are moving out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like Tocchet, i just think a playoff push is necessary to get him hungry enough to be harder on his players. It's great to be a player's coach, but you have to be a force as a coach. Making playoffs is key to get him to that level IMO, and obviously if Taylor wants Tocchet to stay in order to re-sign, I'm game.
Who's running the team? IF we can get a big upgrade in coaching who mangement think can get us to that next step, I don't care what Hall thinks.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yep. I'd keep Tocchet if it meant retaining Hall long-term. You can address the coaching later. My No.1 priority would be keeping Hall.

Yes, if Hall likes Tocchet and wants to stay great. Then all we have to do is set up Tocchet with 2 quality Assistants. Say arrivederci to MacLean & Housley and get him better ones...which I'm sure won't happen.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad