HF Habs: Taxi squad

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I don’t know how anyone can say that they hope that Juulsen slides through waivers unclaimed. Their is no chance in hell that he gets claimed. In his first three professional seasons he has played a total of 91 games. That is a lot of progress missed as a 20-22 year old. We all know that offence is not his strong suits but he only has a total of 17 points in those 91 games. That includes AHL games and he is almost at a 50/50 split career wise. Every team will have a prospect or multiple that they would rather play over Juulsen. Nothing beats home grown talent and every team much prefers their own kids over others. No chance that he gets claimed.

Reactions: dralaf and Vachon23

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The way I see it:
Taxi squad: One of Dauphin, Belzile or Blandisi. Vejdemo, Olofsson, Weal, Lindgren and a versatile guy like D. Shore, G. Bourque, JT Brown or Caggiula

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don’t know how anyone can say that they hope that Juulsen slides through waivers unclaimed. Their is no chance in hell that he gets claimed. In his first three professional seasons he has played a total of 91 games. That is a lot of progress missed as a 20-22 year old. We all know that offence is not his strong suits but he only has a total of 17 points in those 91 games. That includes AHL games and he is almost at a 50/50 split career wise. Every team will have a prospect or multiple that they would rather play over Juulsen. Nothing beats home grown talent and every team much prefers their own kids over others. No chance that he gets claimed.

He certainly doesn't get claimed as he would need to be inserted into the new team,s NHL roster off the top. There needs to be some evaluation of Juulsen's condition before a risk like that is taken. Plus, given his injury history, if there was any real risk of losing him to the waiver wire for Montreal, they could likely give him a 10-game conditioning stint in the AHL before needing to place him on waivers.

Wait, the AHL won't have started at the same time as the NHL so, I don't know how the rules would apply, then?

Damned COVID!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Does anyone know if players will have to clear waivers to be "sent down" to the taxi squad?

Edit: rds.ca answered the question for me: yes, they will have to clear waivers to be sent to the Taxi squad. The Taxi squad is essentially a mini AHL team that travels and practices with the big club, and doesn't play AHL games.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He certainly doesn't get claimed as he would need to be inserted into the new team,s NHL roster off the top. There needs to be some evaluation of Juulsen's condition before a risk like that is taken. Plus, given his injury history, if there was any real risk of losing him to the waiver wire for Montreal, they could likely give him a 10-game conditioning stint in the AHL before needing to place him on waivers.

Wait, the AHL won't have started at the same time as the NHL so, I don't know how the rules would apply, then?

Damned COVID!

Can you answer this for me: why the heck hasn't Juulsen been playing in Europe this fall????

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
If the WHL doesn't start up would they sign Guhle just so they can have him practice with the team on the taxi squad all season. Probably much better for his development than working out on his own

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The way I see it:
Taxi squad: One of Dauphin, Belzile or Blandisi. Vejdemo, Olofsson, Weal, Lindgren and a versatile guy like D. Shore, G. Bourque, JT Brown or Caggiula

I think Xavier Ouellet is the 2nd dman on the taxi squad. Other than that I have it the same as you.
Goalie: Lindgren
Dmen: Ouellet, Olofsson
Forwards: Weal, Belzile, Vejdemo

The main roster should be 12 forwards, 7D, and 2 goalies to ensure cap compliance. Juulsen will have to be exposed to waivers. Would be great for him to get a full half season in in Laval.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Does anyone know if players will have to clear waivers to be "sent down" to the taxi squad?

Edit: rds.ca answered the question for me: yes, they will have to clear waivers to be sent to the Taxi squad. The Taxi squad is essentially a mini AHL team that travels and practices with the big club, and doesn't play AHL games.
I realize there's no way the players union would go for it, but that's going to hurt Laval if the Habs keep guys up that have to clear waivers. I know its all about the Habs, but I'd like to see Laval have success too. If they keep Ouellette, Dauphin, Belize, Or other vets up, that's going to suck for Laval.

Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This could have a massive impact on the AHL season, assuming and very much so hoping that there is one. But this could mean that the top AHL vets would not play in the AHL this season as they would likely want to be on the taxi squad and for teams it would make the most sense to have them there since you don't want prospects sitting and not playing games.

For Laval to lose guys like Ouellet, Belzile, Blandisi, Dauphin will sting since they need leaders. At least it won't hurt at goalie since losing Lindgren is a win since McNiven or Demchenko should be better backups I would think.

Of course it depends on how the Habs want to handle the taxi squad, since it's 3-5 skaters, since you must have a goalie and that I assume will be Lindgren since he makes the most sense. But I got to think Weal is there unless a trade is made as we must send him down for cap reasons alone.

They would still have Olofsson as a vet on D, plus guys like Veilleux, Lynch, Vigneault, plus some 3rd year pros like Fleury, Alain, Pezzetta etc..

Reactions: Steve Shutt

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This could have a massive impact on the AHL season, assuming and very much so hoping that there is one. But this could mean that the top AHL vets would not play in the AHL this season as they would likely want to be on the taxi squad and for teams it would make the most sense to have them there since you don't want prospects sitting and not playing games.

For Laval to lose guys like Ouellet, Belzile, Blandisi, Dauphin will sting since they need leaders. At least it won't hurt at goalie since losing Lindgren is a win since McNiven or Demchenko should be better backups I would think.

Of course it depends on how the Habs want to handle the taxi squad, since it's 3-5 skaters, since you must have a goalie and that I assume will be Lindgren since he makes the most sense. But I got to think Weal is there unless a trade is made as we must send him down for cap reasons alone.

They would still have Olofsson as a vet on D, plus guys like Veilleux, Lynch, Vigneault, plus some 3rd year pros like Fleury, Alain, Pezzetta etc..

Since players on taxi squad have to go through waivers, there is nothing stopping Bergevin to make them play a few games in the AHL here and there.

If we HAVE to name 6 players to the taxi squad, nothing stopping us from playing Ouellet a game in Laval while Josh Brook or whoever practices in the NHL for the taxi squad.

I'm guessing most NHL teams, especially those with no cap space, will make A TON of these sort of transactions daily to game the system

This taxi squad non sense is just ASKING for it

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I realize there's no way the players union would go for it, but that's going to hurt Laval if the Habs keep guys up that have to clear waivers. I know its all about the Habs, but I'd like to see Laval have success too. If they keep Ouellette, Dauphin, Belize, Or other vets up, that's going to suck for Laval.

They will keep those kinds of players up, but I would expect other teams to do the same. So it should even out.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Trades and waivers will be interesting:

Why 2020-21 Could Be the Strangest Year for Trades in NHL History

It’s a shame, then, that the guy you covet plays for a Canadian team. If you acquire him, he has to quarantine for two weeks since he’s been playing exclusively on the other side of the border against other Canadian teams in a custom divisional realignment. You can’t afford to give away a single point in the standings, so it’s not worth the risk of waiting for him. You therefore take your business to a fellow U.S.-based team instead. But even that brings complications. Do you trade within your own division, which has may cooked up some extra-bitter rivalries, to reduce travel time and potential quarantining? Do you make a move with a team playing in the U.S. but in a different division, potentially requiring a small delay in having the new player’s services?

If you acquire a player and have to wait 14 days, seems like a heckuva wait. That will be around 7 games at both ends of the trade. And if it's a shorter quarantine period in some markets, that seems like an unfair advantage.

Interested to see if the NHL does anything to 'level the restrictions' where they can. Probably won't see much movement until restrictions are eased.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

I wouldn't say "no chance".

If you’re the Montreal Canadiens, for example, the last place you want to see Noah Juulsen—a 23-year-old defenceman who lost a tonne of playing time to vision issues and recurring migraines over the last two seasons—is stuck in between the NHL and AHL, practising but not playing. Ditto for 23-year-old Cale Fleury, who could prove to be the next-best option after seven defencemen are named to Montreal’s active roster.

But with half the league’s teams either currently over the cap or within $1.5 million of it, and with a handful of others on internal budgets limiting their spending power, the ability to take on money without sending any back is muted. We’re not suggesting a really good player hitting the waiver wire won’t be exposed; it’s just that the risk is slightly more mitigated than it has been in recent years.

But it’s still a risk.

Are the Canadiens going to risk losing Juulsen for nothing just to park him on their practice squad? Probably not.

Meanwhile, on the purgatory front, imagine how it will feel for a player like Xavier Ouellet—a 27-year-old defenceman on a two-way contract—practising for weeks on end as a taxi squad member and then watching Juulsen get called up from the AHL to play because a Canadiens defenceman has gone down with an injury.

Montreal Canadiens face complex decisions with roster and taxi squad

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I missed that episode...but are the taxi squad salaries included in the cap?

Jul 6, 2016
I see on the taxi squad:

Ouellet-Juulsen-Belzile-Dauphin-Baddock (when muscles needed)-Lindgren

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I see on the taxi squad:

Ouellet-Juulsen-Belzile-Dauphin-Baddock (when muscles needed)-Lindgren

I think Weal needs to be there for the cap to work.
I think Juulsen needs to play so I think he'll be in Laval

Ouellet, Belzile, Lindgren = Definitely
Dauphin, Baddock = Not sure

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Mete, Schmete. I'd be more concerned about losing Kulak and I'm willing to trade him for Cap savings. Mete will never bring the offense you need to get from a smaller D like him. Endless talk about how he can hold his own defensively with active stick work is a long drawn out bore because, why would you be happy with a small D that can't be physical in his own end if all that he brings is okay D and no offense?

Kulak might be a better security if we need to move on from the combined 7M for Chiarot and Edmundson in the short term to fit other players in under the Cap. A little more expensive but, a better fix as seen in the past with Petry, at least, when his game is on.

If Romanov can progress into a top-4 role quickly, we might need to go...

Kulak - Petry
Romanov - Weber
Harris/Norlinder - Juulsen/Fleury

...sooner rather than later...

When Kulak is gone and Romanov is on his second contract we might be at...

Romanov - Petry
Harris/Norlinder - Weber
Guhle - Juulsen/Fleury/Norlinder/Harris

Beyond that, the post Weber-Petry era may well see a bunch of LDs playing on their off side as RDs for the Habs...
Kulak sucks, that’s why.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If no more moves are made which is unlikely...

21 man roster: Mete is the extra player. $708k of cap space and also absorbing Weal's $325k when he is on the taxi squad

AHL:
Primeau, Poehling, Fleury, Brook, Leskinen, OLofsson, and probably Juulsen as well (after he clears waivers). He needs to play, not sit on a taxi squad. Bouchard needs a full roster too!

Taxi Squad: Frolik, Weal, Quellet. Maybe Belzile as well but I think Bouchard can use him

* Guys like Poehling and Fleury will be called up at times but have to play AHL vs being on the taxi squad. Juulsen has to play AHL for the full year. If he clears waivers at the beginning of the season and does well in the AHL, someone will claim him if you call him up.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
If no more moves are made which is unlikely...

* Juulsen has to play AHL for the full year. If he clears waivers at the beginning of the season and does well in the AHL, someone will claim him if you call him up.

No waivers needed to come back up. Needed on the way down and possibly a second time if sent back down after being up (total of 30 days)

So if Juulsen plays well in Laval and an opportunity arises (Romanov struggles or an injury) we could se him come back up for some NHL games and possibly stay up

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
6 guys likely to most benefit from the addition of the Taxi Squad:
  • Primeau - most likely means Lindgren will be taxi-ing and more games for Primeau to start in Laval
  • Fleury & Juulsen - Likely two of Ouellet, Leskinen, Olofsson taxi-ing and with Alzner gone lots of quality ice time in Laval on the top unit
  • Poehling - Likely to see veterans like Belzile, Dauphin, Blandisi get taxi time opening-up solid minutes for Poehling on the top unit
  • Teasdale & Hillis - Both guys would have been in a tough battle to get decent minutes and avoid being sent to the ECHL - with 2 or 3 veteran forwards spending the season on the taxi squad they get a chance to move up in the line-up.
Question Marks:
  • LeGuerrier & Dichow - What do we do with our OHL prospects with their season looking like it might be canceled. Possible room for LeGuerrier in Laval but doubt Dichow could get any action.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
No waivers needed to come back up. Needed on the way down and possibly a second time if sent back down after being up (total of 30 days)

So if Juulsen plays well in Laval and an opportunity arises (Romanov struggles or an injury) we could se him come back up for some NHL games and possibly stay up
You guys are talking like they'll be playing in Laval, AHL won't resume play I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad