Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The Canes are shooting themselve in the foot in this one so far.....

PP: 0 / 10

Get your shit together.
This has been trend in the playoffs, fail powerplays and lose games and series. Very important moments.

The game was closer to even than the shots might indicate but the Canes were still the better team. Igor, man.
I agree.

Reactions: Avs_19

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
That is just who they are... they need a legit gamebreaker on the offensive side of the puck.
Do they have any good prospects who are ready to break in? They seem like the team tailor made for the Rantanen trade that won’t happen but still should be explored except it’s not clear if they have anything worth trading him for. That’s a team you could see him extending with unlike Utah or Buffalo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Do they have any good prospects who are ready to break in? They seem like the team tailor made for the Rantanen trade that won’t happen but still should be explored except it’s not clear if they have anything worth trading him for. That’s a team you could see him extending with unlike Utah or Buffalo
They have a metric crap ton of prospects... maybe not a ton of high end guys (though I really like Morrow and Nikishin), but I'm not sure how they could really structure a deal. I expect Carolina to be heavy into the Marner sweepstakes this summer. I know people are gonna jump and state he's not a playoff player... but good players tend to find a way. Cheese was labeled as a terrible playoff guy prior to Florida, not he's regarded as an elite playoff guy after 1+ run.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
What I absolute hate about Messier's answer and the rest of the panel was that they all said it wasn't appropriate to call at that point in time in the game. This is complete bullshit and we will never have good officiating if even the broadcasters are saying rules should be called differently in playoffs or OT. A penalty should be a penalty regardless of time or situation. It's the same as my beef with supplemental discipline...when it's not consistent it becomes worthless or worse still...as an ax to grind with a team that traded your ass after two games.
With respect.... you can't possibly be that new to NHL hockey.

The playoffs are officiated differently than the regular season. Ref's swallow their whistles. They do not want to be the deciding factor. Penalties are called on infractions that are incurred on scoring chances. The players and coaches know this. The motto is let the players decide the game.

They ask Dave Jackson his opinion and he then pushes the new NHL officiating mantra by way of explanation.

He would NEVER have made that call. So disingenuous.

I agree with Mess. It's too bad that he must have been read the riot act off camera by someone because later on in the show he was given the opportunity to reaffirm his opinion and he backed off. Disappointing.

NHL officiating is at an all time low in terms of quality, consistency and the application of wise judgement. All the former good refs are now retired. I wish the rules committee would just LEAVE THE DAMN GAME ALONE.

Yes. Leave the game alone.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I see the Canes unraveling on special teams in the postseason is already happening.

I'm surprised Jaccob Slavin isn't getting more flack for last night's game. For a guy who's revered as one of the best pure defenders in the game he went absolutely brain-dead in the sequence that led to the GTG. On the PK he followed the play into the corner, left the slot area wide open, and then when he saw the puck making its way to the guy out in front (Trocheck) he went around the BACK of the net instead of just charging headlong into the slot, then instead of pushing guys out of the way he just kinda swatted at the loose puck, which Kreider put past Andersen.

Missed opportunity for Carolina. Took waaaaaaay too many penalties, and while I didn't love that 2OT call that led to the game-winner, that was a pretty stupid thing for Skjei to do.

Also, Jacob Trouba nearly killed himself trying to decapitate Marty Necas. That dude needs to lay off the 'roids.

Really looking forward to my 1st look at the Oiler/'Nucks series. Tocchet's coaching has been masterful this year.
200w.gif

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I see the Canes unraveling on special teams in the postseason is already happening.

I'm surprised Jaccob Slavin isn't getting more flack for last night's game. For a guy who's revered as one of the best pure defenders in the game he went absolutely brain-dead in the sequence that led to the GTG. On the PK he followed the play into the corner, left the slot area wide open, and then when he saw the puck making its way to the guy out in front (Trocheck) he went around the BACK of the net instead of just charging headlong into the slot, then instead of pushing guys out of the way he just kinda swatted at the loose puck, which Kreider put past Andersen.

Missed opportunity for Carolina. Took waaaaaaay too many penalties, and while I didn't love that 2OT call that led to the game-winner, that was a pretty stupid thing for Skjei to do.

Also, Jacob Trouba nearly killed himself trying to decapitate Marty Necas. That dude needs to lay off the 'roids.

200w.gif
Well, let's say instead that Tocchet managed to exceed almost everyone's expectations......... Which were pretty darn low. (At least mine were....)

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, let's say instead that he managed to exceed almost everyone's expectations......... Which were pretty darn low. (At least mine were....)
I can't argue that, but I'll also say he's made some decisions this postseason already that have IMO indirectly led to losses.

I still say his insanely conservative style will eventually cost him, but somehow it hasn't yet.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I despise Tocchet's style and I think he will fail eventually... he's done a really, really good job this year.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
With respect.... you can't possibly be that new to NHL hockey.

The playoffs are officiated differently than the regular season. Ref's swallow their whistles. They do not want to be the deciding factor. Penalties are called on infractions that are incurred on scoring chances. The players and coaches know this. The motto is let the players decide the game.

They ask Dave Jackson his opinion and he then pushes the new NHL officiating mantra by way of explanation.

He would NEVER have made that call. So disingenuous.

I agree with Mess. It's too bad that he must have been read the riot act off camera by someone because later on in the show he was given the opportunity to reaffirm his opinion and he backed off. Disappointing.

NHL officiating is at an all time low in terms of quality, consistency and the application of wise judgement. All the former good refs are now retired. I wish the rules committee would just LEAVE THE DAMN GAME ALONE.

Yes. Leave the game alone.
With respect, you do realize there is a problem with the refs judgement right? The refs are actually having an outsized influence on the outcome of games because they are essentially handing out completely random power plays. They will allow a hook by one team and then call a hook that was actually less on the other team. It's complete bullshit. If you want to defend anything to do with officiating, that's up to you. It's a choice. Not one that I would make, but it's a choice.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I despise Tocchet's style and I think he will fail eventually... he's done a really, really good job this year.
Tactically I think he's a f***ing mess, as far as motivating players and getting the most out of them, especially noted headcase J.T. Miller, he's done an absolutely phenomenal job.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
And of course P.K. Subban, who arguably suffered much under the withering gaze of old-school hockey guys, is front and center celebrating a guy who goes out of his way to injure other players.

It's almost worth clicking on that tweet to see just how stupid Subban is. I can't believe I just read all of that. It's like someone asked AI to write an HF post.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad