HF Habs: Taxi squad

Rass

Apr 7, 2006
rhlsim.tripod.com
Frolik, Weal, Belzile, Ouellet, Juulsen, Lindgren.

Juulsen would be better served playing in the AHL if there's a season. But given the waiver claim possibility and the lack of another veteran D ala Folin to fill the taxi squad, they might protect Juulsen until they are sure he's back to form. When this occur Mete will likely be traded or sent back to the minors.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
@26Mats intended to be a taxi squad set of Christmas lights below. Also talk of active roster structure in the second para. Merry Xmas if I don't get to post it somewhere else! And let's ****ing go Noah I'm pulling for you...

You’ll notice that Frolik and Evans are on the roster, and with the $325,000 of Weal’s buried cap hit, the team is just over the cap of $81,500,000. They could also trade Weal, knowing that they have an additional NHL veteran to call upon should any injury hit. This means that the Canadiens can have an extra forward and defender available should something happen at the last minute, and there’s no additional salary cap manipulation required — which can get tricky, especially at the last minute. They could also use Noah Juulsen or Belzile’s cap hit of $700,000 instead of Frolik’s which would put them under the cap.

Someone like Ryan Poehling could still be with the team on the taxi squad and are available if needed, but if they weren’t playing anyways, it provides Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin with options. He doesn’t need to save cap space for his extra forward, and he doesn’t have to sacrifice a roster spot just to save on the cap either. This arrangement would allow one extra roster space, with 22 players on the active roster of the 23-player maximum but that’s a lot better than going with a roster of 21, or even 20 players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Frolik, Weal, Belzile, Ouellet, Juulsen, Lindgren.

Juulsen would be better served playing in the AHL if there's a season. But given the waiver claim possibility and the lack of another veteran D ala Folin to fill the taxi squad, they might protect Juulsen until they are sure he's back to form. When this occur Mete will likely be traded or sent back to the minors.

To go to the taxi squad, you have to go through waivers.

I would like to use the 6 taxi squad spots for guys that we don't care if we lose on waivers - and guys we don't care if they don't play, i.e. we don't care if it hurts their development. So for me, I really don't want to see Juulsen on the taxi squad. It's either 8th dman on NHL roster (so we don't lose him to waivers) or AHL (if we're willing to risk losing him to waivers I at least want him playing/developing).

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Sorry i posted this in the wrong thread so will put it here

My take is that the taxi squad should be used to save cap space, the way it is set up, they are just like roster players and can travel and practice with the team, and be used on game days as long as you don't pass the 23 player limit. As well, players on two way contracts only count for their AHL salary. So the taxi squad as I see it, should have 3 players that you would be happy for someone to take if they were claimed on waivers, Byron, Weal and Lindgren.

The other 3 should be your entry level players that earn more in the NHL than a player like Frolik and are waiver exempt. This opens up the possibility to not risk Juulson on waivers and leave the door open to signing another center at a salary like Frolik and not have to expose him and Frolik to waivers.

Game day you can healthy scratch these players and play the kids. You can have 3 of Romanov, Suzuki, Evans and Kotkaniemi on paper listed as on the taxi squad, even if they are playing every game and save cap space.

Game day you scratch Kulak, Juulson, and play Romanov, and at forward you can scratch the new center or Frolik and play Byron, Suzuki, and Evans if you like..​

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
depending on how things go at camp, one way they could get under the cap,

Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Tatar KK Gallagher
Byron Danault Drouin
Leks Evans Armia
Frolik

Chia Weber
Edmu Petry
Mete Romanov
Juulsen

Price
Allen

taxi-

g - Lindgren
d- Kulak Ouellet
f- weal, belzile dauphin

laval

Poehling Blandisi Ylonen
Veilleux Hillis Alain
Lynch Vejdemo Lucchini
Gates/Baddock Vigneault Khisamutdinov/Hawel

Olofsson Brook
Leskinen Fleury
Schueneman Halbert
Bisson

Primeau
McNiven/Demchenko

ECHL
Teasdale, Pezzetta Verbeek RHP, Aquin

now some will freak out to put Kulak on the taxi squad over Juulsen, Kulak has 2 years at 1.85M cap hit coming off a season where he had 7 pts and is about to turn 27 next month. The odds of him being picked is slimmer then Juulsen imo but if so we still have Ouellet, Fleury, Brook, Olofsson, Leskinen. Kulak would be much like Weal in that we would save 1,075,000 per vs 750K/700K for Evans/Frolik/Juulsen. This would give them a spare forward and a spare blueliner while having the taxi squad in case of injuries and still have some cap space left (haven't done the actual math just a quick one)

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Tatar KK Gallagher
Byron Danault Drouin
Leks Evans Armia
Frolik

Chia Weber
Edmu Petry
Mete Romanov
Juulsen

Price
Allen

taxi-

g - Lindgren
d- Kulak Ouellet
f- weal, belzile dauphin

laval

Poehling Blandisi Ylonen
Veilleux Hillis Alain
Lynch Vejdemo Lucchini
Gates/Baddock Vigneault Khisamutdinov/Hawel

Olofsson Brook
Leskinen Fleury
Schueneman Halbert
Bisson

Primeau
McNiven/Demchenko

ECHL
Teasdale, Pezzetta Verbeek RHP, Aquin

now some will freak out to put Kulak on the taxi squad over Juulsen, Kulak has 2 years at 1.85M cap hit coming off a season where he had 7 pts and is about to turn 27 next month. The odds of him being picked is slimmer then Juulsen imo but if so we still have Ouellet, Fleury, Brook, Olofsson, Leskinen. Kulak would be much like Weal in that we would save 1,075,000 per vs 750K/700K for Evans/Frolik/Juulsen. This would give them a spare forward and a spare blueliner while having the taxi squad in case of injuries and still have some cap space left (haven't done the actual math just a quick one)

I can't say I hate it, the Kulak-on-taxi idea is a bit outside the box from what we've seen so far and it's not a bad one given the cap restrictions we have now.

Two quick Q's:

-Did you try to make the top 2 lines as top-heavy as the Habs possibly could so they match up against other Canadian teams' top 2 lines directly? (vs. giving bottom-6 more TOI like Julien has been doing)
-What kind of odds do you see of Julien & staff going with both A) a top line that throws 2 new wingers in the system, and B) Danault broken up from Tatar & Gallagher?

My guess is you would have a franco dissatisfaction problem on your hands but maybe I'm overestimating Phil & Jo's potential whining. We'll see what happens.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
From the info we got so far it's going to be 23 players as usual + taxi squad up to 6 players.

Who's gonna be there?

I see posts saying frolik will be on the taxi sqaud but if we have 23 man rosters before we get to a taxi squad, shouldn't frolik pretty much be a lock to not be on the taxi squad.

You got 12 forwards, 6 dmen, and 2 goalies to play a game. That leaves another 3 spots on the 23 man roster. Frolik has to be there, I think.

I mean, he should be no worse than the 13th forward at this time.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I see posts saying frolik will be on the taxi sqaud but if we have 23 man rosters before we get to a taxi squad, shouldn't frolik pretty much be a lock to not be on the taxi squad.

You got 12 forwards, 6 dmen, and 2 goalies to play a game. That leaves another 3 spots on the 23 man roster. Frolik has to be there, I think.

I mean, he should be no worse than the 13th forward at this time.
We don't have enough cap space to have a 23 man roster...

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Tatar KK Gallagher
Byron Danault Drouin
Leks Evans Armia
Frolik

Chia Weber
Edmu Petry
Mete Romanov
Juulsen

Price
Allen

taxi-

g - Lindgren
d- Kulak Ouellet
f- weal, belzile dauphin

Leaves us with $333,691 of cap space

Reactions: montreal

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Perry, Frolik, Weal, and Lindgren should be on the taxi squad.
We should add defensemen for the last 2 spots. I think they will go with Ouellet and whoever looks best between Fleury and Juulsen in training camp.

Among the first 4 players, Perry is the only one with a chance of being claimed (when they get waived before the start of the season).
However, I think Perry has a good chance of not being claimed. It would suck for an American team to pickup Perry since he will need to travel back and quarantine. That should be a big disincentive for an American team to pick him up.

As for the Canadian teams, they would all be over the cap if they pick up Perry except for Ottawa. Ottawa is unlikely to pick him up since they have a 23 man roster, which includes 14 forwards and those 14 forwards do not include Norris, Formenton, and Abramov.

Reactions: Holystik

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Keep in mind that Perry needs to be on the active roster of the team that picks him up. Not sure that happens.

IMO, my Taxi squad would be:

Lindgren, Weal, Ouellet, Perry, Frolik

Once both Frolik and Perry have cleared waivers, I would spot them both, along with Weal, into the lineup so as not to have to subject them to the waiver wire again.

As injuries pile up for teams during the season, those cheap players on the waiver wire will become a hot commodity, with the flat Cap and all.

The key will be to keep at least two taxi squad spots open for the paper transactions that will provide some Cap flexibility by the trade deadline.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think Frolik and Perry are on regular roster in opening day. Both signed for league minimum to play here. Doubt MB risks losing them on waivers when he can send down Weal, Byron etc. who are less likely to get picked up and take up several times the salary space.

Reactions: Habs4Life

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think Frolik and Perry are on regular roster in opening day. Both signed for league minimum to play here. Doubt MB risks losing them on waivers when he can send down Weal, Byron etc. who are less likely to get picked up and take up several times the salary space.
I’m starting to think Kulak gets dealt this week to free up $1.85M...Oilers are in desperate need of Dman

Capfriendly is showing Habs with 23-man roster (including Frolik, Perry & Weal) potentially moving $1.12M to LTIR...not sure who that applies to

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Tatar-Danault-Gally
Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Drouin-KK-Perry
Lehks-Evans-Armia
Byron

Romanov-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Juulsen
Mete

Taxi
Lindgren
Weal
Oullette
Frolik
Kulak
Belzille

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Tatar-Danault-Gally
Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Drouin-KK-Perry
Lehks-Evans-Armia
Byron

Romanov-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Juulsen
Mete

Taxi
Lindgren
Weal
Oullette
Frolik
Kulak
Belzille
Kulak? The team's 4th best d-man from the playoffs? Bring in 1 maybe 2 guys and now he's 8th?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
No team signed him until the Habs.
Nobody knew 1/2 week ago if there was a season who would begin in january. Christmas time wasnt maybe the best time to talk about hockey. So, perry had no advantage to sign a contract when he doesnt know when he would play

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Depends on wether they go with a 23 men roster. The lineup currently looks like this:

Drouin/Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lek/Drouin KK Toffoli/Armia
Lek Byron Perry/Armia
Frolik/Poehling/Evans

Extras: Frolik Evans Poehling Weal

Forwards: 13

Chiarot Weber
Edmundson Petry

Third/Fourth Bottom Pairings:
LD:Mete/Romanov/Kulak RD:Brook/Juulsen/Fleury

Extras:Mete/Kulak/Romanov/Juulsen/Fleury/Brook

D: 8

Price
Allen

Goalies : 2

Weal on the taxi squad or minors: add $325k to cap.

Even if someone magically takes Weal off your hands, the Habs are still over the cap by $417k. Then, you can simply dump Frolik on the taxi squad and go with a 22 men roster with Juulsen as a regular to be under the cap. However, you don't have much flexibility.

Taxi squad will likely look like this:

Ouellet, Weal/Evans/Frolik, Belzile, Juulsen/Fleury/Brook, Poehling and Lindgren

I see Kulak moving in the coming days to clear some cap. As for Weal, he will likely be placed on waivers with the Habs carrying his $325k caphit all season long.

We will see many battles at training camp for bottom spots. However, there's lots of depth to go around.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I think Kulak has seen his stock rise above "guy you can put on waivers without risk". If you do, I'm pretty sure you lose him. He is good enough, young enough and cheap enough that you may be able to get a pick for him from a team that has the cap space.

It would solve salary cap issues, but it would make Montreal worse. I look forward to seeing MB's solution. Weal has to go, but it may be only on the taxi squad (which still saves quite a few bucks).

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No team signed him until the Habs.
There is without a doubt spending restrictions on US based GMs - I suspect majority of them will have continued restrictions on administrative efforts (cost of waiver acquisitions / trades etc.), I also expect many US teams will try to save $ in some way on taxi squad players...until fans are back in the stands or next season when things should be back to normal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad