Player Discussion: #TavaresWatch: It's Over. Thomas Hickey, come get the Stanley Cup! (Warning #2834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Does not have to be this year. It just has to be before Toronto. Lou will get this thing straight and in the end the Islanders will be better off without the long term anchor of a contract.

Honestly after yesterday I'm exhausted counting on anything good happening for the Isles. It seems that no matter what the Islanders brand touches, turns to crap. Perhaps even Lou isn't immune. Therefore I am going to be fully skeptical of Lou "getting this thing straight" until he does. Tavares is gone, snow is still here, we're a top 5 worst team in the NHL on paper, and the arena still doesn't have shovels in the ground.

When things happen...Then I'll get excited, but if anyone didn't learn that WORDS MEAN NOTHING from the Tavares situation, then not sure they'll ever learn.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I've been saying for years that Tavares is overrated. When you look at his skills and realize he's only had two great years there's a simple explanation, he's fairly dumb. Yes he looks dumb thanks to the robotic cliche-filled interviews and the goofy Canadian accent (Hoe's it goin, eh?), but it's more than that. He can't think. Look at him in his childhood sleeping picture - mouth agape with the same low IQ mouth breathing face he has today . Look at the model airplane on his pillow. Too dumb to figure out how to remove the plane from the pillow, so he just slid down the bed instead .

His interviews yesterday we're way over his head and I don't think he understood that people were mad at him for the way he handled things and not for just switching teams. He's a hard worker, but lacks the smarts to take it to the next level. Maybe now that he isn't the leader of the team he'll do better when someone else does the thinking for him.

Tell me the guy on the left in the video isn't Tavares. He looks like him and sounds like him. Put a 91 Jersey on him and you'd think it was him.

I think Tavares is book smart but not very smart socially. He is definitely the Milton guy in office space if you took him and put him into the ordinary world outside of sports.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Regardless, I don’t think he is who we thought he was.

I think this team will be better in the long run without him wearing the “C” on his jersey.

Put another way - I think the organization with LL + whomever he brings in (hopefully Hunter) & Trotz is better than an organization with Snow and Tavares.

Reactions: seafoam

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I've been saying for years that Tavares is overrated. When you look at his skills and realize he's only had two great years there's a simple explanation, he's fairly dumb. Yes he looks dumb thanks to the robotic cliche-filled interviews and the goofy Canadian accent (Hoe's it goin, eh?), but it's more than that. He can't think. Look at him in his childhood sleeping picture - mouth agape with the same low IQ mouth breathing face he has today . Look at the model airplane on his pillow. Too dumb to figure out how to remove the plane from the pillow, so he just slid down the bed instead .

His interviews yesterday we're way over his head and I don't think he understood that people were mad at him for the way he handled things and not for just switching teams. He's a hard worker, but lacks the smarts to take it to the next level. Maybe now that he isn't the leader of the team he'll do better when someone else does the thinking for him.

Tell me the guy on the left in the video isn't Tavares. He looks like him and sounds like him. Put a 91 Jersey on him and you'd think it was him.

Dude what kind of psychoanalysis is this? His hockey IQ is elite he's just mad awkward and too afraid to show his intentions.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Actually if you want a sort of dead ringer for Tavares....the lead singer of this band...

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
That's easy- snakes! We need to make it like the rats in Florida circa 1996 where we buy up all the toy snakes in the tri state area just for his return!

Literally made his bed.... with sheets and pillow cases...

Didn't Nordique fans pelt the ice with pacifiers when Lindros came in to Le Collese for the first time???

So what would you want to toss on the ice for this situation?

Reactions: Konk

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
"I pointed out that his actions — or non actions — hurt his former team but, in response, he preferred focusing on his feelings."

Zing.

It's perfectly valid for him to look out for numero uno. He could've done that without screwing over the franchise and kicking us in the nuts.

The upsetting thing is that we're literally on an island here. We'd like to think that Tavares tanked his rep league-wide and we have everyone's sympathy like we're OKC after losing Durant. Fact is, Tavares is the golden boy and the hockey world is laughing at us.

JT is the friend who dumps you after latching on with the cool kids. We thought he was one of us, but he was always one of them.

Reactions: Konk

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
i've always had my suspicions that he is on the autism spectrum (most likely aspergers if i had to guess). Kind of makes sense with the social awkwardness, yet incredibly gifted/genius at the one thing they focus primarily on. This is typically the case for folks on the spectrum in varying instances

Lol. I have said this to my buddy years ago. I am glad that someone agrees.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
It's perfectly valid for him to look out for numero uno. He could've done that without screwing over the franchise and kicking us in the nuts.

I really doubt it was his intention to screw over the team.

That being said, if there was even a CHANCE he felt he didnt want to re-sign with the Isles, you have to tell your mgmt.

Otherwise, you are a complete douche. Ready now?

f*** TA_ VAR_ES!
f*** TA_VAR-ES!

Just getting my chant ready.....

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
i've always had my suspicions that he is on the autism spectrum (most likely aspergers if i had to guess). Kind of makes sense with the social awkwardness, yet incredibly gifted/genius at the one thing they focus primarily on. This is typically the case for folks on the spectrum in varying instances
I think he just might be a dick. He duped everybody from day one with his schtick.

Reactions: Bones45

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

file this under: when a white guy does something objectionable, he's got a mental health issue.

screw that. dude is selfish.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
Regardless, I don’t think he is who we thought he was.

I think this team will be better in the long run without him wearing the “C” on his jersey.

Unless that "C" was followed by three other letters - one being a vowel and the others are NT in that order !

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
I really doubt it was his intention to screw over the team.

That being said, if there was even a CHANCE he felt he didnt want to re-sign with the Isles, you have to tell your mgmt.

Otherwise, you are a complete *****e. Ready now?

**** TA_ VAR_ES!
**** TA_VAR-ES!

Just getting my chant ready.....

I want a "the Calder kid is better" chant !

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Trust me: this type of people are watched over by family and professional stuff from early childhood. They won't allow this kind of PR disaster.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
Honestly after yesterday I'm exhausted counting on anything good happening for the Isles. It seems that no matter what the Islanders brand touches, turns to crap. Perhaps even Lou isn't immune. Therefore I am going to be fully skeptical of Lou "getting this thing straight" until he does. Tavares is gone, snow is still here, we're a top 5 worst team in the NHL on paper, and the arena still doesn't have shovels in the ground.

When things happen...Then I'll get excited, but if anyone didn't learn that WORDS MEAN NOTHING from the Tavares situation, then not sure they'll ever learn.
I have resigned myself to feeling this way as well... While I'm way more hopeful with Lou than Snow, it's at the point where you have to show me something. Until then, I'm just going to assume this team is going to mess up whatever it touches.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
To compare Callahan to John Tavares is misguided.

Compare Randy Wood and or Steve Thomas to Callahan. Except they weren't made of kleenex

Costigan-

Come on man. You're better than that. The concept is a high-end player who is worth several assets is not resigning with your team so you deal him instead of letting him walk for nothing.

I don't care what Tavares said - He wasn't negotiating until after the season, so Malkin let him hear a pitch from his hometown team and that alone is beyond a fail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad