Player Discussion: #TavaresWatch: It's Over. Thomas Hickey, come get the Stanley Cup! (Warning #2834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
i've always had my suspicions that he is on the autism spectrum (most likely aspergers if i had to guess). Kind of makes sense with the social awkwardness, yet incredibly gifted/genius at the one thing they focus primarily on. This is typically the case for folks on the spectrum in varying instances

Actually could be true, could be a reason why he has such a high hockey IQ

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Honestly after yesterday I'm exhausted counting on anything good happening for the Isles. It seems that no matter what the Islanders brand touches, turns to crap. Perhaps even Lou isn't immune. Therefore I am going to be fully skeptical of Lou "getting this thing straight" until he does. Tavares is gone, snow is still here, we're a top 5 worst team in the NHL on paper, and the arena still doesn't have shovels in the ground.

When things happen...Then I'll get excited, but if anyone didn't learn that WORDS MEAN NOTHING from the Tavares situation, then not sure they'll ever learn.
Don't know if this will make you feel better but I have had personal interactions with Lou at the hockey level. The man is a maniac, micromanager who does not know how to lose. He is a real pain to be around some may even call him a real D1(k but he will not stop until the job is done. He is also really really astute. Snow is just baggage that Lou is obligated to keep in his closet. There are a few things I am sure of when it comes to this team. They have the best hockey person you could get running the organization. Barzel was there best player last year and his trajectory is far higher than Tavares's ever was and if anybody can straighten out Ho-Sang its will be this management/coaching combo. Give them time to straighten out the defense and goaltending and you will find one day that the Islanders actually dodged a bullet this past weekend.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Costigan-

Come on man. You're better than that. The concept is a high0end player who is worth several assets is not resigning with your team so you deal him instead of letting him walk for nothing.

I don't care what Tavares said - He wasn't negotiating until after the season, so Malkin let him hear a pitch from his hometown team and that alone is beyond a fail.

I'm sorry, I may not have gotten the whole jist

I thought he was saying it was similar when Callahan left.

I'm sorry.

No Callahan had the balls to say he wasn't signing, and Sather had the nuts to trade him.

This is a management/Tavares failure.

Nothing to do with Leafs

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Don't be so naive. Imagine if PK Subban did this.

You're the only person bringing race into it. These are hockey players.

You went below the line. No one else. Strange that that was an argument

He is very introverted, and I'm sorry if hockey is a "business," he handled this poorly.

I would give my left nut for PK to be on this team, and am a huge fan of his. That comment has nothing to do with race...only to you. Guess the quick trigger finger to going that route is your out of a conversation

Reactions: Barzaltrick

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Costigan-

Come on man. You're better than that. The concept is a high0end player who is worth several assets is not resigning with your team so you deal him instead of letting him walk for nothing.

I don't care what Tavares said - He wasn't negotiating until after the season, so Malkin let him hear a pitch from his hometown team and that alone is beyond a fail.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole conversation. I'll take the lap

Reactions: periferal

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You're the only person bringing race into it. These are hockey players.

You went below the line. No one else. Strange that that was an argument

Oh yeah right. Speculating on someone's mental health is above the line, but this isn't. No, what I said was fine. I'm sorry you feel so offended.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Oh yeah right. Speculating on someone's mental health is above the line, but this isn't. No, what I said was fine. I'm sorry you feel so offended.

Not offended. Just disappointed that commenting on someone's mental state becomes a race issue in your book. I'm guessing at some level of life you are either directly or indirectly affected. Perhaps come to grips that mental health isn't a bad thing, and not a race thing. It's pathetic what you brought to the table.

Cheers

Reactions: Barzaltrick

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Don't know if this will make you feel better but I have had personal interactions with Lou at the hockey level. The man is a maniac, micromanager who does not know how to lose. He is a real pain to be around some may even call him a real D1(k but he will not stop until the job is done. He is also really really astute. Snow is just baggage that Lou is obligated to keep in his closet. There are a few things I am sure of when it comes to this team. They have the best hockey person you could get running the organization. Barzel was there best player last year and his trajectory is far higher than Tavares's ever was and if anybody can straighten out Ho-Sang its will be this management/coaching combo. Give them time to straighten out the defense and goaltending and you will find one day that the Islanders actually dodged a bullet this past weekend.

Hopefully you are right and it plays out like this.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
i think he might have wanted to stay when around the team during the season , obviously your environment dictates how u may feel at that time , being with the guys etc...... then as soon as the season was over , thoughts of not being in the playoffs , his legacy and wanting to win , wife , family , lure of toronto ... all those factors just beat our offer ... still a bitch move ... with that said our management f-ed this up so damn bad ... im looking forward to the season and would like to see us beat the f out of those fks

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not offended. Just disappointed that commenting on someone's mental state becomes a race issue in your book. I'm guessing at some level of life you are either directly or indirectly affected. Perhaps come to grips that mental health isn't a bad thing, and not a race thing. It's pathetic what you brought to the table.

Speculating on someone's mental health is all of the following: terribly rude, completely unfounded, and are also used to make excuses for people who don't deserve them.

Reactions: Sorge Georos

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
dude went and did what was best for him and his family, plain and simple ... malkin/ snow should have done the same for the franchise

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
To compare Callahan to John Tavares is misguided.

Compare Randy Wood and or Steve Thomas to Callahan. Except they weren't made of kleenex

I am not comparing the players. I am comparing management's position on the contracts of players who are approaching UFA - who both happen to be captains. Rangers brass had no issues trading their team's captain when contract talks broke down, so they would be left holding a smoking bag of sh!t. Isles brass should have smelled that bag coming from a mile away...

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
Pretty sure Tavares is just a gutless puke, and when it came down to it was afraid to come out and say that he wanted to go home. So he let the clock run out and absolutely inflicted maximum damage to us in the process. His inaction over an extended period of time harmed this franchise more than the decision to leave ultimately does. You'll find this often happens in the real world too. People really get hurt when you string them along...you waste their time and energy in addition to all the noise that comes with it. It's one of the more ruthless ways to treat another person (especially when it's calculated) and a lot of it stems from cowardice, lack of giving a sh*t or both. I think in Tavares' case it was both. I'm not buying the theatrics.

However, this is a business and in some senses it's a lot different. Some of the fault lies with the organization and Snow for not dealing last year. But, I really do think this club was misled over a long period of time and we completely misjudged his character. I also think we genuinely thought we had a contender early in the season. When you look at the external and internal factors...that's tough to do when the guy grew up literally as part of your organization. You think you know who the person is, then they blindside you in the most spineless way possible.

I view Tavares by his collective actions, not the presser. The added context of the Islanders player reactions (or lack thereof) makes it abundantly clear what happened here. He fooled the team, the management and organization. He is what he is. Legacy and character are forever tarnished and will never be considered a true Islander. I do not expect this organization to welcome him back. They shouldn't.

And with that, I've had my fill of John Tavares talk.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I am not comparing the players. I am comparing management's position on the contracts of players who are approaching UFA - who both happen to be captains. Rangers brass had no issues trading their team's captain when contract talks broke down, so they would be left holding a smoking bag of sh!t. Isles brass should have smelled that bag coming from a mile away...

You're right. As explained, I missed the conversation

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Who'd I stereotype, snowflake?

Lol...

Not hijacking this.

Not a snowflake. Far far from it.

You read something you didn't like, injected race. That's misguided. Respond how you want, but I'm worried about hockey. I'm not going to respond. I'm sorry the guy offended you by bringing up mental illness, but not sure what his statement had to do with racial relations or PK Subban. Weird weird tangent.

Believe what you wish. Enjoy your day sir

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Probably it is the longest thread I read through in its entirety since Joe Thornton trade. This one, however, keeps constantly degenerating into stupidity.

(1) It has nothing to do with race. It has nothing to do with Portugal. It has nothing to do with mental stuff.

(2) It has nothing to do with women. I'm absolutely fine with JT GF "forcing" him to sign with Toronto. She is responsible for their family well-being as much as JT himself. And I'm sure she didn't ask him to behave as a jerk. Please give it a rest.

Reactions: Instant

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Lorwood-

I happen to like you/your posts very much. However to say that the Isles "dodged a bullet" to let a #1 franchise center walk out the door for nothing is being too cavalier at best and really disingenuous at worst. Nothing positive comes from Tavares leaving.

And I think Lou is a pretty ideal person to install as President - That's not the issue. The issue is that something is just wrong with the Islander franchise/brand. All we ever have is the future, and it NEVER works out in the end.

So my point is...I'm not sure that even Lou can overcome whatever it is that is keeping this franchise down. I'm praying for it, but the only way even Lou can convince me is when we're winning playoff rounds and hovering around the finals.

Short of that then the misery will continue and most Isles fans will continue to TELL me how bright the future looks.

Always "the future..." "The future...The future...The future..."

Let me know when "the present" is good. Then I'll celebrate. Because right now I'm disappointed for the millionth time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad