Player Discussion: #TavaresWatch: It's Over. Thomas Hickey, come get the Stanley Cup! (Warning #2834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I will tell you the part that really rubbed me the wrong way in that MSG conference call. Up until the last few minutes, Tavares sounded emotional, although that was probably as much of an act as the last 9 years was. However, when the question about the Isles fans came up, his response started "I cant worry...," and then you can tell he thought better of what he was about to say. But clearly he was thinking I cannot worry about what Isles fans think. That is the way he thinks of us after nine years of cheering him. All the MVP chants, all the "John Tavares" chants, he cant worry about how we feel.
And from that point on, do you notice his voice changed, it became much more defiant. Especially during that part when he kept saying HE did the best he could, HE did all that he could, multiple times.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
But in the meantime, any win that team gets will be like little knives if our backs. F him.
No it won't... Any BIG win will be like a BIG knife in my back. I don't care about the regular season with them... If they have any real postseason success, I'll feel it, but they won't cause they're still the Leafs.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
Stan is such an easy going and funny guy... I've never heard him get flustered like that before, so you know he was fuming. He truly loved JT, too, so I'm sure this is really hard on him.

Stan is a great guy and funny as heck ! Had the pleasure of meeting him April 24th at a speech he gave in Brooklyn - I asked him about JT, and he told me that he didn't feel there was any way that he would be back because he didn't feel like the team was going to win any time soon - also told me that if anywhere but LI, it would be Toronto - obviously, he didn't feel like JT would handle this like such a d-bag !

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I haven't read thru the thread to see if this has been brought up but if the past week was "the hardest thing he's ever had to experience" how the f*** is this guy gonna survive the fishbowl of Toronto hockey media for seven years? He can't possibly think he's gonna get a pass, like he did from our 1 1/2 reporters here. Dude is gonna be a basket case if he's that fragile

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I thought that the "childhood dream" of every ice hockey player (at least from North America) is to make it to the NHL and to lead his team to Stanley Cup. Like what Lemieux did in laughingstock-at-that-time Pittsburgh and what Yzerman did in laughingstock-at-that-time Detroit. Probably this is what eventually separates Lemieux and Yzerman from Lindros and Tavares.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
I'm still surprised we haven't heard a single thing from any of the players....I know none of them are going to go on twitter and roast him, but the fact that no one has done the obvious "professional" thing and said "Best of Luck" speaks volumes of how the players see the situation.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I'm still surprised we haven't heard a single thing from any of the players....I know none of them are going to go on twitter and roast him, but the fact that no one has done the obvious "professional" thing and said "Best of Luck" speaks volumes of how the players see the situation.

He just decided they weren't worth it. How would you feel?

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
That MSG audio somehow pisses me off even more about this. He's just so full of shit. The leafs beat are throwing softballs in there, and then you've got Stan hammering him. Stan was the only guy who had the stones to ask tough questions.

I don't think he feels any bone of sympathy towards us as fans or our organization. His actions tell the story. As to the fans comment, you can tell he's seen twitter. I don't think he expected the backlash to be this bad. And really, it's universally bad...not just from the Island.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
I haven't read thru the thread to see if this has been brought up but if the past week was "the hardest thing he's ever had to experience" how the **** is this guy gonna survive the fishbowl of Toronto hockey media for seven years? He can't possibly think he's gonna get a pass, like he did from our 1 1/2 reporters here. Dude is gonna be a basket case if he's that fragile
Absolutely... He's never gonna make it in Toronto. He's got 2-3 years to win a cup until that whole group (Nylander/Matthews/Marner) is broken up and then it'll be WW3 against him. Hope he's ready for it.

I swear to god I just came to the site to change my name to "TheKidThatWonTheCalder" and you beat me to it!! Well done my good friend, well done!
giphy.gif

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
I'm not even going to go to their board but all my Ranger fan friends are not JT fans.. and I hate their sympathy.

Same, I've gotten messages from a few Ranger fans that see this entire thing the way we do. If that's not justification I don't know what it. At least a couple of them naturally mentioned they thought he was a **** since 2009, so at least they weren't completely sympathetic so you know it's truthful.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
That MSG audio somehow pisses me off even more about this. He's just so full of ****. The leafs beat are throwing softballs in there, and then you've got Stan hammering him. Stan was the only guy who had the stones to ask tough questions.

I don't think he feels any bone of sympathy towards us as fans or our organization. His actions tell the story. As to the fans comment, you can tell he's seen twitter. I don't think he expected the backlash to be this bad. And really, it's universally bad...not just from the Island.
The fact he had that picture with him in his Leafs skivvies ready so quickly says it all... Wait a day, dude. Have some class.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Let him ask himself that question for the rest of his natural life. Let him ask himself that question 2 years from now, when the Leafs haven't won a Cup and his game has slowed down. When he can't turn on the radio without hearing a DJ criticize his game or openly speculate who the Leafs could trade him to. When HFBoards is full of "Tavares back to the Islanders" proposals by Leaf fans who are aghast and insulted we won't trade Dobson, Wahlstrom, and a 2021 1st to bring JT back.

He made his bed, he chose to lay in it. He could have easily handled this process where we'd have an unironic "John Tavares Appreciation Thread", and general sadness but eventual understanding. Instead he goes full Chidi Anagonye and lets his indecisiveness hurt nearly everybody in the world that gave a damn about him.

The mods should make that appreciation thread, sticky it, and then immediately lock it. Leave it up there the rest of the offseason and next season.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You have Oliver Ekman-Larsson extending at July 1 with the Arizona freakin' Coyotes who have been the joke of the league for years. Why? Because for some odd reason, he wanted to stay there. It tells me that Tavares had his eyes set on being a Maple Leaf for a while. If you genuinely want to stay, you go out of your way to do it. Yes, Snow & Co. screwed the pooch as usual, but that didn't have to stop Tavares and his camp to go to Snow and tell him that you want to start negotiating.

100% correct. "Oliver Ekman-Larsson extending at July 1 with the Arizona freakin' Coyotes," so how blind to you have to be when it was January and Tavares hadn't signed with the team he claims to "love?"

Wake up Malkin. You got fooled by wang into a "trial period" where he gave snow an extension, and you sat there and let JT/Brisson do whatever they wanted while all other superstars were resigning with their respective teams.

Time for you to say, "F everyone else...I am going to protect this franchise."

Last edited:

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
The only interesting thing I have that came out of this is Dubas... Talk about a crazy story. You're gonna trust a 30-something year old guy as the GM of your team? I know he was great with the Greyhounds and the Marlies, but that's a crazy career trajectory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad