Tavares vs. Pettersson

Tavares or Pettersson (to try & win NOW)

• Total voters

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
For a 1 season only playoff run i'd go with Tavares, experience is severly underrated. Next seasons playoff (If Vancouver makes it) this poll will become much harder for me.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
How is it a joke? Pettersson is miles ahead of Marner, so they turned out to be right.
a player who's yet to break PPG is miles ahead of a mid 90's point player?
(For the record I think Pettersson is a bit better but its certainly close)

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Tavares was off this year and was still close to PPG. Pettersson has a career high of 66 points. I’ll stick with Tavares.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tavares was off this year and was still close to PPG. Pettersson has a career high of 66 points. I’ll stick with Tavares.
Both were close to a PPG.
Pettersson had a career year? Lol. No kidding! It’s his first year after his rookie year.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Both were close to a PPG.
Pettersson had a career year? Lol. No kidding! It’s his first year after his rookie year.

I mean the poll was to take a player to win now. I don’t see why I would take a 2nd year player with a career high of 66 points over Tavares, even thought Tavares was not great this year.

If the poll was who would you start a franchise with of course it’s Pettersson.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I mean the poll was to take a player to win now. I don’t see why I would take a 2nd year player with a career high of 66 points over Tavares, even thought Tavares was not great this year.

If the poll was who would you start a franchise with of course it’s Pettersson.
I think either one is reasonable tbh. Both are about a point per game but I think EP has been the better all round player this year so I’d take him. There’s no question that JT has had some great seasons though and he’s still a very good player.
I also don’t think it tells the whole picture to say that EP has a career high of 66 points. Just like it wasn’t fair when people did that with Matthews too.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Who's the better Centre, right now? Hard to compare a veteran to a kid, but these two are much closer in talent level than Pettersson/Matthews, so I thought it a better comparison. Forget contracts, as one is still on his first deal and one has "cashed in" already. With the playoffs coming up this summer, who do you like to help your team win NOW?

Last year:
Tavares had 47 goals and 88 points, and was good defensively and on draws...........Pettersson had 28 goals and 66 points, and was good defensively.

This year:
In 63 games, Tavares had 26 goals and 60 points...........in 68 games, Pettersson had 27 goals and 66 points.

* Tavares has topped out as a 30-40 goal, 70-85 point Centre(148 points in 145 games for Toronto, but no playoff rounds won yet). He scores a lot of goals and is a great faceoff guy. Great hands. Not the best skater out there. Great at entering the zone and protecting the puck and creating offence. Always plays against the other team's top players and while he's not winning any Selke's, he is good defensively.
* Pettersson looks to have a similar ceiling. A couple of 66 point seasons to start, but will very likely better that. Great hands and hockey IQ. Looks to be a budding "point getter" and generates most of the offence for his line. Also a sound two-way player. Remains to be seen if he takes it to the next level. Vancouver fans seem to feel pretty confident of it. Some of us other fans are likely a little hard on him. ;) Take all that with whatever grains of salt you like.

So in a vacuum.......who do you take, to win a cup NOW?
If we're talking pure TALENT, EP is above both. If we're talking better it goes AM, EP, JT

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I think either one is reasonable tbh. Both are about a point per game but I think EP has been the better all round player this year so I’d take him. There’s no question that JT has had some great seasons though and he’s still a very good player.
I also don’t think it tells the whole picture to say that EP has a career high of 66 points. Just like it wasn’t fair when people did that with Matthews too.

The poll says win now, implying playoffs. I’d take a 10 year vet with experience over a 2nd year player who hasn’t tasted the playoffs yet. JT on a down year still has the same ppg as Petterssen. Most young players need an adjustment period when playing in the playoffs their first time.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Tavares until proven otherwise. We’ll see how Pettersson handles the intensity of playoff hockey.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
If you’re looking at point totals alone your line mates help you get there. Rank these most common line mates of Pettersson and JT in order of best to worst.

Nylander
Miller
Hyman
Boesser
Marner
Virtanen

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. I thought he would likely win the Calder. He had an historic season the year before his rookie year in the SEL and was up with the greats like Forsberg etc.
I think it was reasonable to prefer him over Marner and I still do.
Just like many Leaf fans were doing polls about Matthews after his first NHL game and taking him over other players who were better at the time.
Not everyone who doesn’t pick the Leaf player is a hater. You have more than a few fans who hate the Canucks as well.
Just because he had a historic season in the SEL before his rookie season in the NHL didn't mean a thing. Compared to Matthews rookie season when he scored 40 goals and was the third player drafted 1st overall since 1997 to lead his team to the playoffs in his Draft +1 season, that was more memorable than anything Pettersson has done.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I honestly think I should keep moving down the list of Leafs, to compare EP to, to find someone more comparable to his skill level.

So...........Nylander vs. Pettersson.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just because he had a historic season in the SEL before his rookie season in the NHL didn't mean a thing. Compared to Matthews rookie season when he scored 40 goals and was the third player drafted 1st overall since 1997 to lead his team to the playoffs in his Draft +1 season, that was more memorable than anything Pettersson has done.
Disagree. I think both were deserving rookie of the year winners. I think EP ends up the better all round player but I can see why Leaf fans would take Matthews too. Two franchise centers and they will both be great ones imo.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
P
I honestly think I should keep moving down the list of Leafs, to compare EP to, to find someone more comparable to his skill level.

So...........Nylander vs. Pettersson.
Judging by the extremely lopsided poll results, the direction you need to be moving is up. I’d skip Marner and go straight to Matthews. Should be a closer pool.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
P

Judging by the extremely lopsided poll results, the direction you need to be moving is up. I’d skip Marner and go straight to Matthews. Should be a closer pool.

Meh. "You do you", Dawg. No surprise at all.

Only on this site, could EP win in a poll against Tavares. Hilarious, really. Tavares has FAR superior numbers, but.......well, HF. :)

Reactions: IPS

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Meh. "You do you", Dawg. No surprise at all. Only on this site, could EP win in a poll against Tavares. Hilarious, really.
Tavares does not have far superior numbers so no wonder you are confused. At best their numbers are equal this year but EP has been the more impactful player and I’d give EP the edge defensively. Tavares is still a very good player but most in the poll think EP has passed him this year.
I’m still laughing at how this poll backfired on you. :laugh:
AINEC!

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Similar numbers if not better for Tavares. Tavares is better in all the center traits (defensive responsibility, IQ, durability, face offs etc.)

Petterssen is younger and better ceiling as a scorer not necessarily an overall player. Petterssen is more creative and better skater.

Right now with no contract and age in consideration Tavares is the better CENTER and Petterssen is the better PLAYER.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad