Tavares vs. Pettersson

Tavares or Pettersson (to try & win NOW)

• Total voters

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Who's the better Centre, right now? Hard to compare a veteran to a kid, but these two are much closer in talent level than Pettersson/Matthews, so I thought it a better comparison. Forget contracts, as one is still on his first deal and one has "cashed in" already. With the playoffs coming up this summer, who do you like to help your team win NOW?

Last year:
Tavares had 47 goals and 88 points, and was good defensively and on draws...........Pettersson had 28 goals and 66 points, and was good defensively.

This year:
In 63 games, Tavares had 26 goals and 60 points...........in 68 games, Pettersson had 27 goals and 66 points.

* Tavares has topped out as a 30-40 goal, 70-85 point Centre(148 points in 145 games for Toronto, but no playoff rounds won yet). He scores a lot of goals and is a great faceoff guy. Great hands. Not the best skater out there. Great at entering the zone and protecting the puck and creating offence. Always plays against the other team's top players and while he's not winning any Selke's, he is good defensively.
* Pettersson looks to have a similar ceiling. A couple of 66 point seasons to start, but will very likely better that. Great hands and hockey IQ. Looks to be a budding "point getter" and generates most of the offence for his line. Also a sound two-way player. Remains to be seen if he takes it to the next level. Vancouver fans seem to feel pretty confident of it. Some of us other fans are likely a little hard on him. ;) Take all that with whatever grains of salt you like.

So in a vacuum.......who do you take, to win a cup NOW?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson is the more impactful player.
I also disagree with the OP that Matthews and Pettersson aren’t close in talent.
Better poll, imo, would be who ends up the better of Matthews and Pettersson because both look like they will become franchise centers and likely top five or so players, assuming they both continue to improve.
Overall talent is fairly equal with each having different strengths and weaknesses.
That essentially comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
In their first 2 seasons, its EP by a bit.
The question is can he become PPG in season #3, like JT did.

Hard to compare, when the vet has done and produced so much more.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In their first 2 seasons, its EP by a bit.
The question is can he become PPG in season #3, like JT did.

Hard to compare, when the vet has done and produced so much more.

I mean, it's not the same because Tavares was in a lower scoring league, but the difference in PPG between Tavares' 3rd season and Pettersson this year was 0.017, or 1.4 points over 82 games

Last edited:
Reactions: Szechwan

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Going to have to disagree with OP on Tavares "Always plays against the other team's top players".

I was just eyeballing the road match ups that Tavares and Matthews get. I don't know if there is an actual stat for the quality of competition but to my eye going back to January on the road Matthews takes the harder match ups nearly every game.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Going to have to disagree with OP on Tavares "Always plays against the other team's top players".

I was just eyeballing the road match ups that Tavares and Matthews get. I don't know if there is an actual stat for the quality of competition but to my eye going back to January on the road Matthews takes the harder match ups nearly every game.

In the playoffs last year, Tavares drew the Bergeron matchup.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Last year:
Tavares had 47 goals and 88 points, and was good defensively and on draws...........Pettersson had 28 goals and 66 points, and was good defensively.

This year:
In 63 games, Tavares had 26 goals and 60 points...........in 68 games, Pettersson had 27 goals and 66 points.
Some context should be included for Tavares stats this season because he missed a total of 7 games with a broken finger. If he was able to play in every game up until the season was suspended who knows what his stats might have been, since there is the example of his 2018-2019 season when he played all 82 games, setting new career highs in both goals and points.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I mean, it's not the same because Tavares was in a lower scoring league, but the difference in PPG between Tavares' 3rd season and Pettersson this year was 0.017, or 1.4 points over 82 games
EP would have been PPG this year had it played out. Adding Tofolli was huge for the Canucks first line, they were really starting to play well.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
elias pettersson is the best player in the league
Mcdavid be like.
UKN.gif

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I feel like Tavares would be the better choice if I needed to win right now. Tavares makes a living scoring dirty goals in front which is how goals are scored in the playoffs. But obviously EP would be the no brainer choice to take on my team going forward.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->