Tavares vs. Pettersson

Tavares or Pettersson (to try & win NOW)

• Total voters

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Can you explain this argument?

I'm a big fan of Pettersson, but I think thats a little too much at this point in his career.

I'm sure you have a good argument for it, but I'd be interested to know what the argument is because I don't know it myself.
hes t-3rd in GAR and 2nd in GAR/60 since entering the league and is clearly better this year than last and the guy above him in GAR/60 (brayden point) is more reliant on the power play

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
That poll was made after Marner was in his 3rd season and Pettersson had played just his 2nd career NHL game. That's why at the time it was stupid. The fact Marner ended up with 94 points that year made it an even worse topic.
How is it a joke? Pettersson is miles ahead of Marner, so they turned out to be right.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This season Tavares as soon as next EP going forward coming from a Canucks fan. I think EP is already on par with Tavares but I'm taking the solid vet whose still a great player over the young star.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Mcdavid be like.
UKN.gif
Draisaitl is smirking at McDavid as well reminding him who won the Art Ross.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How is it a joke? Pettersson is miles ahead of Marner, so they turned out to be right.
Marner had a 94 point season in 2019 and Pettersson had 66 points. Yes I know Pettersson won the Calder that year, however that doesn't make him better than Marner.

This season despite Marner missing 11 games with an ankle injury he still managed to outscore Pettersson by a point. Plus his 51 assists was 12 more than the 39 assists Pettersson was able to register.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You know, I have nothing against people choosing EP-as long as they realize they're voting only on potential. He hasn't
produced to the levels of any player mentioned in this thread....unless its Miller.
I don’t agree. I agree with the majority here and think he’s better than Tavares right now in terms of overall impact. Now Tavares of last year is a different story but I don’t think he’s played at that level this year.
But I agree that the Marner vs Pettersson poll that Pettersson won was going forward. As the youngest player mentioned, you would expect that the offensive production would not be as high but I think defensively he’s the best player mentioned without question.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yep he seems to have the time to dig up stuff against the Leafs.

Yep, goals above replacement is “stuff against the Leafs”.

upload_2020-5-27_22-47-36.jpeg

For the record, Marner’s GAR is actually very strong; he ranks top-10 among wingers over the past two seasons, which is probably where most fans around the league would rank him. He just doesn’t rank nearly as high as Pettersson.

I do think Pettersson is also a bit overrated by GAR as he likely won’t sustain the offensive components of his GAR once his inflated on-ice shooting drops and he likely won’t sustain those penalty impacts either just based on general regression towards the population mean but he’s been a phenomenal player through his two years. Just because you don’t watch him play and don’t look at anything but points doesn’t mean that somebody is “digging up stuff against the Leafs” when they rank him above a player on the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Of course. As expected since he’s the youngest player in the thread by a decent margin compared to most of the players mentioned. And that was the poll he referred to where EP beat Marner ‘going forward’. Not as of right now. As I said I think most would agree with that result.
If anything that poll was just another example of Canucks fans who hate everything about Toronto and only used Pettersson as an example because he scored in his first 2 NHL games to go up in a poll against Marner, even though Marner proved that season he was the better player.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Yep, goals above replacement is “stuff against the Leafs”.

View attachment 347915

For the record, Marner’s GAR is actually very strong; he ranks top-10 among wingers over the past two seasons, which is probably where most fans around the league would rank him. He just doesn’t rank nearly as high as Pettersson.

Yeah 66>94
I'll remember that.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If anything that poll was just another example of Canucks fans who hate everything about Toronto and only used Pettersson as an example because he scored in his first 2 NHL games to go up in a poll against Marner, even though Marner proved that season he was the better player.
Meh. I think there are a lot of Leaf fans who hate Canuck players as well. In any event I think most would take EP over Marner going forward so I don’t think the poll results are that surprising. The better poll would be Matthews and Pettersson going forward, imo. Two guys who project to be elite franchise centers.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah 66>94
I'll remember that.

Is this is a new development for you? Cause I’m pretty sure that if I want to, I can find an example of a time where back when Matthews’ career high was 69 points, you had the audacity to dare suggest that he might actually be better than a player with ~25 more points.

Reactions: Garthinater

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Is this is a new development for you? Cause I’m pretty sure that if I want to, I can find an example of a time where back when Matthews’ career high was 69 points, you had the audacity to dare suggest that he might actually be better than a player with ~25 more points.

Of course you can....you live for it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Meh. I think there are a lot of Leaf fans who hate Canuck players as well. In any event I think most would take EP over Marner going forward so I don’t think the poll results are that surprising. The better poll would be Matthews and Pettersson going forward, imo. Two guys who project to be elite franchise centers.
You seem to forget or are choosing to not mention those Canuck fans who complained that the NHL forced Vancouver to play their home games on a Saturday vs Toronto at 4:00 PM PST, because they thought it was a request made by the Maple Leafs. That's the main difference between our fan bases.

Also I stand by what I previously said because after Pettersson's 2nd career NHL game no one but only Canucks fans or Leafs haters would have picked him over Mitch Marner who was already in his 3rd NHL season. Did any Canucks fans think he would win the Calder that year? The only thing I remember is after he got drafted some of your fans thought he a mistake to be selected 5th overall.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Besides that there was this poll done after Pettersson's second career game where he beat Mitch Marner. What makes that looks like a joke is Marner went onto record 94 points that same season.

Petterson vs Marner

Right now this poll would be most lopsided in EP favour. Not sure what you want prove here, that people were right without watching EP in NHL?
You understand queestion asked was "going forward" not who will have better season?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There is one thing you forgot. When Matthews had those 69 points in his rookie season, he also had 40 goals and was tied for 2nd in that category with Kucherov. However it was all the non Leafs fans who only focused on the fact that Matthews didn't get to 70 points and acted like him scoring 40 goals didn't matter.

Pettersson has not yet had at least 30 goals in his first 2 seasons along with back to back 66 point seasons, however some Canucks fans are saying he's already a top 5 player in the NHL.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You seem to forget or are choosing to not mention those Canuck fans who complained that the NHL forced Vancouver to play their home games on a Saturday vs Toronto at 4:00 PM PST, because they thought it was a request made by the Maple Leafs. That's the main difference between our fan bases.

Also I stand by what I previously said because after Pettersson's 2nd career NHL game no one but only Canucks fans or Leafs haters would have picked him over Mitch Marner who was already in his 3rd NHL season. Did any Canucks fans think he would win the Calder that year? The only thing I remember is after he got drafted some of your fans thought he a mistake to be selected 5th overall.
Yes. I thought he would likely win the Calder. He had an historic season the year before his rookie year in the SEL and was up with the greats like Forsberg etc.
I think it was reasonable to prefer him over Marner and I still do.
Just like many Leaf fans were doing polls about Matthews after his first NHL game and taking him over other players who were better at the time.
Not everyone who doesn’t pick the Leaf player is a hater. You have more than a few fans who hate the Canucks as well.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Pettersson easily. Not fair to an aging Tavaras whose best years are behind him.

Pettersson vs Matthews
JT Miller vs Tavaras

Would be better polls.
except that Matthews and Tavares are significantly better than Pettersson and Miller.

Also how are Tavares best years behind him if he literally scored a career high in goals last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad