Speculation: Tavares to Toronto.... eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
They can try again for Stamkos in 2024. Leaf fans should be used to waiting a very long to get what they want . Whats 8 years compared to 50. :)

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
:laugh:

Doubt it.

I did think Stamkos would come though. Tavares doesn't seem like he'll leave at all. I see him playing in New York forever.

stonewalled

Apr 13, 2015
Who is Al Strachan and why is he making this crap up?

Oh yeah he's some has been sports writer who has no relevancy and must be hurting so he just makes stuff up now.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Im sure their pencilled in lineup in 9 seasons will have McDavid, Tavares and Stamkos on the roster.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Sorry I cant get the actual tweets on here for some reason... excuse my copy and paste...

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I believe they'll get him.

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I know the Leafs' plan is to target Tavares. This isn't sudoku here, trying to figure out an ending. It's a plan.

thoughts??

Again ???

Once of these days, they'll be right...

50 years from now ???

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
As an Islanders fan I think he will leave unless the Isles make it to the ECF or better in the next 2 years. The new arena situation is much worse on the players and Snow has not put the team in the best position to win from the coaching staff all the way down through the on ice talent.

If he does leave, my guess is it will be somewhere where he sees a cup as attainable. I don't think he'll go to another reclamation project.

Look for organizations who have the following:

Respected GM and Coach
Willingness to spend to cap ceiling
Close to winning a title
Elite winger to play with

Those would check ff the boxes he ain't had in NY.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As an Islanders fan I think he will leave unless the Isles make it to the ECF or better in the next 2 years. The new arena situation is much worse on the players and Snow has not put the team in the best position to win from the coaching staff all the way down through the on ice talent.

If he does leave, my guess is it will be somewhere where he sees a cup as attainable. I don't think he'll go to another reclamation project.

Look for organizations who have the following:

Respected GM and Coach
Willingness to spend to cap ceiling
Close to winning a title
Elite winger to play with

Those would check ff the boxes he ain't had in NY.

totally agree. I truly wouldn't doubt if he tests the free agent market if NYI doesn't improve like you say

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Replace JT with SS.. Cool.. Lol the exact same comments.. Lmao.. I'm going to start a Matthews to Yotes thread

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
totally agree. I truly wouldn't doubt if he tests the free agent market if NYI doesn't improve like you say

Who was the last player as good as Tavares to hit UFA? Parise and Suter were a step below him, I honestly can't think of a single guy I'd put in his tier that's hit unrestricted free agency in my entire life.

Face it, this isn't the NBA where Lebron and Durant need to join superteams to contend for NBA championships, this isn't MLB where the big market teams can throw seemingly endless money every offseason, and isn't the NFL where you risk tying up 20% of your cap because you have a really good defensive lineman that's looking to cash out.

It's the NHL. Franchise players stick with their franchises.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Lol after a half decade of Stamkos is coming home...

All that's missing is a JVR trade proposal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd question his character if the bolded ended up being true.

I just don't think there's even the slightest possibility that will be the case. Franchise players want to be the guy who leads his franchise to the Promised Land. They don't bail just because the team struggles to get over the hump. A lot of times they take it on themselves for not getting the job done, even if it's not their fault.

This business about "if Snow doesn't improve the team, Tavares walks" sounds more like paranoia than anything based in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad