Speculation: Tavares to Toronto.... eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sorry I cant get the actual tweets on here for some reason... excuse my copy and paste...

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I believe they'll get him.

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I know the Leafs' plan is to target Tavares. This isn't sudoku here, trying to figure out an ending. It's a plan.

thoughts??

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
lol I'm sure that is their (Leafs') "plan" just like it was for Stamkos.

It's not happening. Unless MAYBE the Leafs are a playoff team the yr before Tavares goes UFA and the Isles completely bunk out then MAYBE the chance increases from 0% to 10%.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
My thought is that he isn't a UFA until 2018. Are we seriously going to speculate on this for the next 2 years (or until the Islanders re-sign him)?

#summerforahockeyfan

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Right sure just like the Leaf fans definitely thought that Stamkos was coming to Toronto, Garth Snow has the money to lock up John Tavares long term. The salary cap is becoming stagnant here how is Lou going to be able to afford to give JT say $12 million and then in a few years give Matthews the same plus give big money to Nylander and Marner down the road to lock up your core something would've to give..

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Strachan wow. There's a name i'd forgotten and would have preferred it remained that way. Typical of Al to try anything to get attention. :shakehead
Tavares is an Islander and hopefully will remain an Islander his entire career.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He wants to join his buddy Stamkos in Torionto. I didn't even bother paying attention to free agency because so many Leafs fans told me there was no way he'd sign anywhere else. He did sign there right?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Why aren't we rumored to be targeting a legit number one defensemen rather than number one centers? It would certainly make more sense after drafting Matthews.

That being said, let's not go down the Stamkos trail again. There maybe some truth in him considering us and we may have been considering him as well, but I doubt we were ever the favorites.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm a Leaf fan, unless we're on the eve of July 1st with Tavares heading to UFA, I don't want to hear about this.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Why aren't we rumored to be targeting let NHL defensemen rather than number I be centers? It would certainly make more sense after drafting Matthews.

That being said, let's not go down the Stamkos trail again. There maybe some truth in him considering us and we may have been considering him as well, but I doubt we were ever the favorites.

ya exactly... its strange people keep trying to link you guys to these huge name centermen and not dmen

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sorry I cant get the actual tweets on here for some reason... excuse my copy and paste...

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I believe they'll get him.

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I know the Leafs' plan is to target Tavares. This isn't sudoku here, trying to figure out an ending. It's a plan.

thoughts??

the 7 stages of grief.....

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I feel like "rumors" like these are less credible hockey insights and more just mocking the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
John Tavares isn't even a pending UFA until 2018 it's a little premature to be looking at a possible Tavares to Toronto deal until at least another 1 1/2 years from now. Most likely Garth Snow will get John Tavares locked up next summer and all the speculation of Tavares coming to Toronto will cease and assist just like Stamkos saying nope i'm staying in Tampa and winning a cup there.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
John Tavares isn't even a pending UFA until 2018 it's a little premature to be looking at a possible Tavares to Toronto deal until at least another 1 1/2 years from now. Most likely Garth Snow will get John Tavares locked up next summer and all the speculation of Tavares coming to Toronto will cease and assist just like Stamkos saying nope i'm staying in Tampa and winning a cup there.

Close. But not quite ;)

But yeah, after what we saw this year and Stamkos, you have to give this at the very least another 18 months, if not 23 months before there should be any discussion of this.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011

I don't think he'll cease dishing out assists when he comes to Toronto. He'll probably have a nice time setting up Marner or Nylander.

JS91

May 14, 2014
Get ready, Islanders fans. It's going to only get worse next year. For your sake I really hope they do what we did with Hedman and just get the deal done the first day he can be extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia