Speculation: Tavares to Toronto.... eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
:laugh:

I wouldn't even trade Marner straight up for Tavares

What? Well the Leafs definitely would.

The league should push up Tavares extension eligibility date to save the insanity of Leafs and Isles fans, or else it's gonna be a long year.

Thankfully I foresee Johnny signing pretty early into next summer, doesn't seem like a guy that wants all the chaos that followed Stammer.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Can we lock this **** up we're not getting Tavares. He's going to be loyal to the Islanders, just like Stamkos was to TBay, like Matthews and McDavid will be to Toronto and EDM.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
No, they wouldn't.

Yes, they would and they would be fools not to. That's a deal you have to take.

Marner is talented, but there is literally no GM on the face of the Earth that turns down John Tavares today for Marner. Maybe in 2 or 3 years the answer is no depending on Marner's development going forward, but dont be ridiculous.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
We're talking about the same John Tavares, center for the New York Islanders right?

I love Marner as much as the next Leaf fan, but come on.

1) Marner's potential ceiling is quite a bit higher than Tavares
2) Marner is cost controlled ELC, meaning they can spend salary elsewhere

Toronto takes a deal 1 day out of 10, and on that 1 day... the person who accepted the trade was drunk and would regret it the next day.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Toronto takes a deal 1 day out of 10, and on that 1 day... the person who accepted the trade was drunk and would regret it the next day.

I salute you for your massive amount of homerism, it's quite impressive.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

So Marner ceiling is quite a bit higher than a center who averaged 37.78 goals and 82.61 points per 82 games for the last 4 years?

What are you expecting? 45 goals 95 points?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I salute you for your massive amount of homerism, it's quite impressive.

nothing homer about it.

This is purely prospect vs player. Marner is destined to be an absolute dominant winger.

I believe in him much more than Matthews, fyi.

So Marner ceiling is quite higher than a center who averaged 37.78 goals and 82.61 points per 82 games for the last 4 years?

What are you expecting? 45 goals 95 points?

lower goal total, higher point total

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

1) The key word is potential. Potential is not > what Tavares is guaranteed to provide immediately. Marner is no guarantee to be a superstar. Possible? Sure. Guaranteed? No. Holy hell, HF overrates potential so incredibly. Prospects are not superstars.

2) Good point and does mean something for Toronto right now. Not for long though. If Marner is what you think he already is deserving of being anointed, then hes going to cost sooner rather than later. Tavares is at 5.5 for 2 more, which is a small price to pay for one of the best players in the game right now and will be worth his raise in 2 years.

Tavares is a cornerstone player in the league that you can build around and has arguably not even entered his prime years or is just entering them now and pays immediate dividends espc with what Toronto has already done. There are very few players in the league that you dont trade for him and the ones that you dont are equal/close in age and what they've already been (Toews, Kane, Crosby etc.) Marner is not one of those guys yet. Arguably the only under 20 guy that doesnt get traded for Tavares is McDavid.

I respect your personal opinion, but no NHL GM turns down Tavares for Marner, and certainly not Lou Lamoriello. Lou takes that and runs with it.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

I love Mitch Marner. I would have drafted him over anyone other than Eichel or McDavid.

He's not going to be better than Tavares.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

As a Leafs fan I would take JT over MM any day of the week. No disrespect to Mitch.

ForSpareParts*

Whatever happened to HFboarders convincing themselves and the world that Nash was going to land in TOR?

Let go of this hometown boy star hockey player comes home BS.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
This is just sports media on the east coast, or more specifically the GTA, desperately trying to get people talking. It's pathetic.

Reminds me of how every star player in the NBA was going to be in Boston by the end of this off season. First it was Durant, then it was Griffin, now it's Westbrook and others.

So blatantly obvious what these people are trying to do.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Stachan is pretty irrelevant at this point.. I expect Tavares to sign a monster contract with the Isle, and I'm a Leaf fan. We got Matthews, I'm satisfied rolling with he, Marner, Nylander and Rielly as building blocks.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I'd question his character if the bolded ended up being true.

I just don't think there's even the slightest possibility that will be the case. Franchise players want to be the guy who leads his franchise to the Promised Land. They don't bail just because the team struggles to get over the hump. A lot of times they take it on themselves for not getting the job done, even if it's not their fault.

This business about "if Snow doesn't improve the team, Tavares walks" sounds more like paranoia than anything based in reality.

Would you want to waste your prime years with Capuano as HC in a crappy barclays situation? Getting him Ladd and PA this year was a nice play for line 1, but where was this when we had KO, Frans and Martin under contract cheap? These should have been additions rather than replacement pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad